2scoops

petrol and car prices

hey,

just checked out the red book price guide from another post and it seems used car values are way high. To replace my car i have here in England will be almost double the price.

Does this seem about right?

Also what is the price of petrol?, I was thinking V8!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Yes second hand cars do hold value very well, petrol average about $1.30 per litre,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Hi,

Yes second hand cars do hold value very well, petrol average about $1.30 per litre,

Good luck

Guzzler

Unless you buy it first thing wed morning of last thing tues night:biglaugh:.

As for cars, be prepared to $2000 fo a late 80's magna:jiggy:. They dont rust here and seem to go on and on for some reason.....oh yes, its cos there are no MOTs:wacko: to put them off the road!!!

sarah

its cos there are no MOTs

dunno if i like the sound of that, MOTs sometmes seem like a con especially when there's always something found and its always at least 80GBP to put right but it does give confidence in a cars roadworthyness!

I guess it's even more important to check for a service history.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    dunno if i like the sound of that, MOTs sometmes seem like a con especially when there's always something found and its always at least 80GBP to put right but it does give confidence in a cars roadworthyness!

I guess it's even more important to check for a service history.

Yes, wait till you see some of the old bangers on the road here! My sons friend has an old datsun that is 30 yrs old!!! Fortunatly her parents are very sensible and it is road worthy.

sarah

Guest dglamoore

For those of you in the uk buying petrol here is as quirky as the one way expressway :err: If you shop in certain stores and spend over $30 you get a discount voucher on your receipt which saves you 4c a litre off petrol at their petrol garage.

The price also gets lower throughout the week before going back up around Wednesday lunchtime so the price of petrol varies hugely on when and where you buy it :wacko: At the moment we seem to be averaging $1.14 a litre and managed to get it for 98c a litre a couple of weeks back thanks to a woolworths liquor offer ;) Just one more thing to get your head around!!!

Second hand cars and a lot pricier here than uk and had to really hunt around to get a decent run around when I passed my test.

Lisa:biglaugh:

anyone thats in adeliade now take a trip to adeliade car museum its got some old motors in there,when i went i found a old dutsun 120y an old cortina estate in mint condition and a road legal plastic car..... plastic you say.....just go there and see for yourself

alex

Guest Patch

New cars seem to have some good deals, for example, the ford focus brand new for 18k (I think I would prefer to spend more on a new car than pay 10k for a ten year old car that has never been checked for being roadworthy - my opinion only though and I don't know anything about cars!). Another factor is what exchange you get on your money and if you want a run around or something that will be more substansial for travelling distances etc.

It may seem expensive to buy your first car but atleast you know that you should get a decent price when you do finally sell it. I lost a lot of money on my car in the UK when I sold it but I just couldn't face the paperwork and hassle of getting a car here. I was already stressed sorting the visa, selling the house, getting the cat here etc!! :goofy:

Guest motlyman

oh yes, its cos there are no MOTs:wacko: to put them off the road!!!

sarah

This worries me a bit as i,m an Ex MOT tester and have seem some scary stuff in the past.

I have had brake pipes burst on me while doing a brake test, have seen fuel pipes and tanks leaking in some dodgy places like on to the exhaust, tyres with no tread left only wire pokin out. I have jacked up a car and left the suspension behind on the ramp.

Some of these cars were death traps and shouldnt be anywhere near the road.

So you can imagine whats driving around here.:huh:

Colin

Guest graandjac

:goofy:Having spoken to keith on our reccie his 4x4 is running on LPG as well petrol which is even cheaper at 60c ish per litre does any one else use gas for there cars...?.

After looking out for the red diamond on the number plates it seems quite a few cars are running on gas and at that price it looks a good option. Cheers Graham