Guest The Waite Family

What the heck do we do now???

    Recommended Posts

    Guest The Waite Family

    Four years since deciding to emigrate and over two years since we applied for our visas we finally were granted them yesterday! :shocked:

     

    Our daughter who wanted to go more than any of us now has a boyfriend and refuses to leave him, our son is due to start Uni next year and now doesn't know what to do. We just remortgaged the house and decided to get a conservatory and now we have to validate our visas before 3rd November 2011!

     

    Its all happened so quickly, out of the blue last month we got an email advising us to go for our medicals and BOOM! our visas were granted.

     

    Haven't been on here for a very long time because we were told that our visas would probably not get processed until 2012 so I'm going to be asking lots of questions (again) if that's ok? :jiggy:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hey congrats and all that.

     

    I am totally jealous. Our application only went in two weeks ago and we have a long haul ahead of us. Hopefully our app should be a bit quicker as we are on a employer sponser and the timescale is about 5 months at present.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    :chatterbox:

    Hey congrats and all that.

     

    I am totally jealous. Our application only went in two weeks ago and we have a long haul ahead of us. Hopefully our app should be a bit quicker as we are on a employer sponser and the timescale is about 5 months at present.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest moonraker1959

    Hi,firstly congratulations on getting the visa.I think the most important thing to do is have a family meeting(you,OH and kids)and try and all decide what you all want.It'll be easy if you all want the same thing!Can your son apply for uni in SA?Daughters boyfriend?How old is she?Reason I ask is if she is a young teenager chances are it probably won't last(some do obviously).Your house?Well houses can be replaced right?It is a tough one to weigh everything up.How about writing a list of pro's and cons?See which one comes out the winner and go with that?I would definately validate your visa's and by doing this,you can take some time to look around,see what job opportunities there are,get a feel for the place ect,that could swing things either way for you.Its not easy,but I wish you luck and I hope you can all come to some agreement.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Jo&Phil

    How exciting.

    Can you rent your house out, come for a year and see if you like it? By the time you are ready to fly (eg: next year), daughter may have different view point and son may fancy a year off Uni.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Four years since deciding to emigrate and over two years since we applied for our visas we finally were granted them yesterday! :shocked:

     

    Our daughter who wanted to go more than any of us now has a boyfriend and refuses to leave him, our son is due to start Uni next year and now doesn't know what to do. We just remortgaged the house and decided to get a conservatory and now we have to validate our visas before 3rd November 2011!

     

    Its all happened so quickly, out of the blue last month we got an email advising us to go for our medicals and BOOM! our visas were granted.

     

    Haven't been on here for a very long time because we were told that our visas would probably not get processed until 2012 so I'm going to be asking lots of questions (again) if that's ok? :jiggy:

     

    Oh poo......:err:

     

    Congrtas in the first instance.....bloody hell in the other.....

     

    In my opnion i feel that you have to validate...come hell or high water it has to be done...treat it as a reccie/holiday a chance to get to see the place.

     

     

    That way the whole family has the chance to come live out here at a later date upto 5 years....

     

    As for asking questions thats what were about and were all here for....we dnt mind helping folks out as we have all been in various situation at some stage that we have learnt from....and we too have asked a grillion questions about this that and t'other....

     

    Try and stay calm about it all....enjoy the moment with your VISA...not everyone gets one you know....

     

    See you on here with your questions galore....

     

     

    HG

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Nick11

    Wow big congrats.

    Not sure what I would do!

    Love the piccie of your dog btw x

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Guest75

    A big congratulations!!!

    :D:D

    Well the poop has hit the fan big time now - this will test you!!:goofy:

     

    As others have said your main objective should be to validate your visa -then you have time to take stock /plan/sell up at a reasonable pace.

     

    Keep calm!!!

     

     

    BTW

     

    Whereabouts in Leeds are you from??

    I'm a Pudsey lad.;)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    A big congratulations!!!

    :D:D

    Well the poop has hit the fan big time now - this will test you!!:goofy:

     

    As others have said your main objective should be to validate your visa -then you have time to take stock /plan/sell up at a reasonable pace.

     

    Keep calm!!!

     

     

    BTW

     

    Whereabouts in Leeds are you from??

    I'm a Pudsey lad.;)

     

    DITTO don't rush it, get a holiday away from the snow and then look at things in the new year with a clear head.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest karyn

    I agree with the above!! To validate, you only need to enter Australia before that date!! Use it as a holiday, and perhaps when the kids see the sunshine again (cause I only left Leeds in September so I know there's not a lot of it), they'll feel a bit different about the move!

    Congrats on the visa, and I'm sure things will work out how they're supposed to x

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi Dianne

     

    I have a very good friend who was in exactly the same position regarding the kids, in the end they came without their son and now he has split up with his girlfriend and wanting to come over again!!! they really wish they had all come and validated so that they all had options later, I think the most important thing is to keep all your options open and validate as everyone else says!!!!

     

    Loads of great people on here who are only too happy to help so ask away.

     

    Good luck with everything

     

    Kim

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest kangomik

    Validate, the cost may seem a lot at the time, but it can open so many paths later on that it's priceless.

     

    In another 5 years time that conservatory may have paid for itself and the exchange rate may have changed, who knows?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest katsmajic

    As everyone else has said, validate your visa.

    Once validated you have 5 yrs to make the decision whether to move or not, as a family unit or individually, so by validating you may eventually choose not to come but the kids on finishing their education could come if they wanted too - even if just for a gap year/adventure etc.

    My brother didnt validate his visa, as he fell in love n moved to russia, he now has a baby and desperately wants to move over here but has to reapply, his job/skill isnt on the list anymore so hes having to finish his contract out in russia to be able to go for a different job title/skill on the list or hopefully get sponsorship from his company as they have an office here.

     

    Do what you need to do to get the visa's validated, it'll be a fab holiday, a fact finding mission to see whether it really is for you and show the kids just whats on offer...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest JamesP

    You've got time on your side, that's important. As others have said you can fly over for a while and try it out. That way, at worst you've had the holiday of a lifetime, and at best you get to stay! :D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest The Waite Family

    Hi all,

     

    Laura is 21 now and hopefully once she realises we are really (probably) going to go, she might change her mind and dump the good for nothing loser she is seeing :arghh:

     

    I was wondering though with Daniel being 18, if we validate our visas next year can he still go in 5 years time as at the moment he is classed as a dependent and hopefully for us he won't be when he's 23 :shocked:

     

    Oh and Tyke, I talked to you a couple of years ago on here, I am also from Pudsey. We were discussing the freezer shop down Lowtown I think! :)

     

    Nick11 I need to change my pic as my little dog Lucy has since died :(

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Guest75

     

    Oh and Tyke, I talked to you a couple of years ago on here, I am also from Pudsey. We were discussing the freezer shop down Lowtown I think! :)

     

     

    I remember now!!! I must be getting old:goofy::goofy::goofy:

     

    Very cold there I hear!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest The Waite Family

    -2 right now and getting colder brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I would defo miss the snow I love it :):cool:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest karyn

    Yeah, my first winter here and seeing the snow on Skype when I speak to family and friends, I really miss it!! Christmas is going to be a strange one this year!!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest WhatNow?

    Yes absolutely don't miss the chance to validate. It keeps the option open. My son (who was 17 at the time we validated and had a place at Uni) was convinced he wouldn't ever migrate but validated anyway. He is now halfway through his degree and facing the prospect of working for peanuts in the UK (if he can get a job at all). He can't wait to get over here, despite the girlfriend he now has. You can never tell how things will change and keeping your options open is the best strategy. With the kids, it's a case of letting them know you will support whatever decision they make in the end, even if it breaks your heart!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now