Mel.R

Returning to UK for visit but passport expiring.

Hi

My son is returning to the UK for a while. He is travelling back on 31st December, but I've noticed that his passport runs out on 25th Jan 2011.

Will he be ok to return to UK on this passport and then renew it while he is in the UK?

Thanks

Mel

I very much doubt it - most airlines stipulate that you must have 6 mths remaining on your passport to travel. You can get them renewed here at the post office and download the forms online. Still has to be sent away though so I'm not sure if or how much you can fast track it.....

That's the rules if you are travelling abroad, I'm wondering if it is different if you are returning to your home country.........

Guest wijaya

Hi

I had experienced the same situation once, and "got" away with it. I was using my country passport going home from the UK (where I was a permanent resident). I was not aware at the time that the passport was less than 6 months to be expired. The airline did not check, and on the way out from UK, there is no passport control, so it went okey. Only when I arrived in the country, the officer pointed to me that the passport nearly expire.

But I don't recommend this. You better check with the airline and get some kind of assurance (by email or letter ) if they said it is ok.

regards

hi

we have recently been in touch with both governments about the exact same thing.we were told by both that it is now ok to fly to uk or back to oz up until the expiry date.just give them a call and put your mind at rest.

Have just spoken to the British Consulate here in Adelaide and they have said that he can fly back on his passport so that's good news!!!