Sign in to follow this  
Moosh

Do you know what can't you take into the UK?

Thought I would double check what items I am allowed to bring to the UK as gifts for Christmas because I bought some beef jerky and tins of kangaroo, crocodile and emu from Hahndorf. Luckily I checked ... Food imports : Directgov

These are NOT allowed into the UK:

Meat products include any fresh, cooked or dried meat such as beef, lamb, pork or chicken and such products as patties, curries, ham, biltong, pot noodles which contain meat, meatballs, meat pickles, cured or cooked sausage, pate and meat paste. Live

snails, dead snails still in their shells and water snails are also not permitted.

Dairy products include fresh, dried or concentrated milk, cream, butter, ghee, mithai, cheese and products containing fresh cream.

Fish Products include fresh, dried, cooked, cured and smoked fish and fish products, such as canned tuna, fish sauces, prawns, shrimps, squid, lobster, crab and crayfish.

Bivalve products include oysters (including oyster sauce) mussels, clams, cockles, scallops, whelks and winkles Egg products include omelette, mayonnaise and dried eggs.

Travelling abroad

Did you know that it’s illegal to bring any meat or dairy products into the United Kingdom (UK) from countries outside the European Union? It doesn’t matter whether they’re vacuum packed, tinned or in a sealed packet – you can’t bring them into the country. There are also strict rules on certain other food products such as fish, shellfish, honey, fruits and vegetables.

What are the penalties?

It’s no joke if you are caught trying to smuggle illegal or restricted foods into the UK. Besides the hassle of being severely delayed going through customs, your food products will be seized and destroyed and you risk facing prosecution. If you declare illegal items to Customs in the red channel the goods will be seized and destroyed, but you will not face a penalty. Remember, most of the foods you might wish to bring in can already be found in the UK, so why take the risk?

Why have rules?

Food, in particular meat and dairy products, can carry pests and diseases such as Foot and Mouth Disease and Bird Flu. These controls are therefore in place to protect public health, our farming livestock and crops and the environment from these exotic pests and diseases. So check the rules before you travel and don’t let an outbreak in.

Guest guest3462

We landed At Heathrow on sunday and customs was deserted!!! Walked straight through, not that we had any of the above to declare anyway!! The most we brought was chocolate koalas and D'Arenberg wine!! lol.

On a different note - I had completely forgotten how beautiful (and cold!!) the snow is!! Although I am quite concerned this morning that we won't be a be to get out to go shopping today! It does feel really christmassy here. Lol

Guest Nick11

No one is ever there at customs...so wouldn't worry too much.

Pretty scarey really..thinking about it!!!!!

Guest kangomik

It's been like that for years, i have flown in to the UK at various airports at different times and have seen very few people in the customs area. It doesn't mean that they are not working but it does make you wonder whats happening. I have only ever seen a dog in Manchester once!

Flew back from the carribean once and was probably one of the first flight in due to delays, there was no one from baggage collection all the way through customs!

Knowing my luck though, they will be searching everyone. It will be only a few days before Christmas! Don't want to face a whopping fine for bringing in meat products!