UK & OZ post!

Guest moonraker1959

Guest moonraker1959

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if you might share you experiences of postal services,especially as we're now in the silly season.I live in the UK,and quite often send parcels to family/friends in Adelaide.The postage can sometimes be quite high,and you assume the person will reicieve those gifts.However,I've had a couple of times when the parcel did'nt get to the recipient.Apart from being a real shame,I'm wondering how honest our postal workers really are.On Radio Two this week,this subject came up,and lots of callers said they had things going missing,even when they had paid for special delivery.One person said its known within the postal services that should an employee get caught stealing,they are let off the first time,is that true?My twin sent my xmas present last year from Adelaide,and I did'nt receive it!!:arghh:I've sent my son his xmas presents(lives in Adelaide)and I just hope to god he gets them.

Never had issues receiving gifts this end and my gifts get to the other side eventually. I put my Christmas gifts on sea mail one year and even though I sent them within the cut off date, they didn't make it in time and they got their presents a month after Christmas! I'm not doing that again.

Guest moonraker1959
Never had issues receiving gifts this end and my gifts get to the other side eventually. I put my Christmas gifts on sea mail one year and even though I sent them within the cut off date, they didn't make it in time and they got their presents a month after Christmas! I'm not doing that again.

Hi Moosh,yes its very disappointing when things don't arrive on time.I had this earlier this year.I sent my son's brithday presents 3 weeks before his birthday by airmail and they still did'nt get there on time!!!!!! I asked at my local village post office and they could'nt offer me any explanation.I guess once it leaves the post office,its out of their hands.

Guest verulam

Hi all, We're in the UK and posted a parcel of christmas gifts to stepdaughter in Adelaide 3 weeks ago by airmail.She still hasnt received it :(....Hope it gets there eventually

Guest Lisa & Kevin

Hi all :chatterbox:

Luckily we haven't had any problems with the Oz Post or UK Post so far!! Only minor issue is that our Post Box isn't that big and anything as big as A4 get bent :sad:

The REALLY BIG ISSUE I had last year at Christmas was I sent a parcel via Courier to my Sister's with an Aussie Souvenir fun gift for them all to open on Christmas morning, 6 little presents with value between $5 - $15. I put the total value on the Customs Declaration as $55 from memory. The delivery was fantastic think it took a maximum of 4 days, but we did pay the price!! Taught me not to leave it till the last minute again.

However unfortunately that wasn't all it taught me!! Because I sent it via courier, Customs & Excise decided that they would send my Sister an invoice in the 2nd week of January for £60 for the duty, even though I had put gifts/presents on the Declaration.

My sister was so embarrased for me she was going to pay it without telling me, but my mum didn't realise and told me. Luckily I phoned my sister before she paid and I called Customs & Excise from here who told me that in this instance they would Waive the charges.

I wonder how many people actually paid it without calling them especially as it was an 0845 number!! I was just so horrified that out of principle I didn't care if the phone call cost me more than the charges. I was not going to let them charge my family duty on their Christmas Presents!! :arghh: