Guest mark&rachel

2 yr old wont stay in his bed

Guest mark&rachel

Any one got any ideas???

My 2 year old (well 22 months) has just moved from cot to toddler bed.

He used to sleep fine 7.30-6.30.

Now he is in a bed he gets up 3-4 times during the night. Put him back then he gets up. Its ruining us.

We have tried the super nanny stuff of being stern, no eye contact , a night light, no night light but nothing works.

Hes not at an age where you can do charts or rewards cos he doesnt really understand.

We have also tried ruining him in the evening, afternoon naps no afternoon naps.

Anyone got any ideas? My eyes feel like they are bleeding :arghh:

Guest Murphy642

Try a stair gate at his door so that he can't leave his room?

Guest doje6863

Read "toddler taming", sensible do-able suggestions.

good luck!

donna

Guest The Dimmocks

I agree put a gate up at the door, we did that when our twin boys went from cot to bed. The gate is still up now as their room is right next to the kitchen, and had an incident in short term rental when first arrived and one twin decided to get up in the night and turn on all the electric cooker rings. Thankfully it set off the fire alarms, so all was okay.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

tell him there are monsters that get him if he gets up!!:biglaugh:

I read the toddler taming book when mine were little, I didnt get that advise from there though :biglaugh:

Seriously, stair gate and ignoring them, they can last longer than you, so you have to be strong, i did get that for toddler training, it takes a while, but it does work.

They are intelligent enough to understand bribery at that age, they kind of do it from birth. They know what gets attention and it doesnt matter to kids what sort of attention they get.

You could always go with the monster advice of you want a quick fix :biglaugh:

Guest Trakki

totally agree, use the stair gate, if you do have to go in stick with the no talking, no eye contact etc. He will probably shout and scream from the gate, just ignore it for a bit longer each time before going in to return him to bed, many a time I lifted a sleeping child from the floor into their beds, doesn't do them any harm.

Good luck

We had the same prob with my daughter, i'm afraid the answer is....Tough love, especially when it impacts on your life.We ended up securing the door shut so she couldn't get out and ignoring her, When it first started happening we went down the soft approach, didn't work, children need routine, never let them dictate the situation. And if you have one of those Moniter thing, ditch it, they are the most idiotic invention ever, you lay there watching for the bloody light and if it dosn't flicker you think the child aint breathing, stupid, after a while i smashed mine!!!!

It does sometimes take a child a while to get used to a new bed so give it time, but please dont give in...your the boss, be tough!!!!!!!!

Simon.( Who dosn't miss those sleepless nights, i tell ya):SLEEP:

Guest kangomik

Definitely agree with the stair gate on the door. The initial yelling when they go to bed should reduce it you can stick with it. You just have to get used to the fact that they may not want to stay in bed and explore their room instead. At least you know they're safe and eventually they'll give in and fall asleep - sometimes on the floor! lol Maybe try not to have too many toys in there - especially those beeping, music playing things that most toys seem to be now.

Word of warning though - look out for anything they can climb on and pull on themselves. Mine went through a stage of using the drawer handles to climb up!!! We ended up turning the cupboards so they couldn't do it. Bedroom looked more like beirut than the lovely nursery we first thought, but it worked!

Hope it works out for you. Lack of sleep is a nightmare, remember it well unfortunately!

Louise

Guest nicandchris

my goodness, i have a nine month old and cant bear the 'leaving em to cry themselves to sleep' milarky it breaks my heart, but hes still not sleeping through and i start work again on tuesday after 9 and half months of maternity. I hope that i dont need this advise by two but from what i hear that may be the case! good luck! x

baby gate seems a bit rdraconian to me,,, i would imaginer the change is a lot for him to cope with,maybe try a bed guard to make him feel a bit more like he is still in a cot?

Guest Carla

Hi. We took the sides off my sons cot when he was 20 months. He was up in the night at least 3 or 4 times, and we would always just drag him into bed with us, where he would sleep perfectly fine til the morning.

Then he turned 2 (last week) and we upgraded him to a king single. Now he only wakes once in the night (usually around 3.30am) will come and find me calling out my name, so I give him a 10 min cuddle in bed, then take him back to his room and tell him it's time for him to go back to sleep. He usually complains for a bit, but I just give him his favourite soft toy and that settles him.

I don't think it helps with the change in the weather. I'm finding it hard to get both my 2 and 3 year old to sleep before 8.30pm (they usually go to bed at 7.30pm), and they are waking crazy early in the morning - around 5.30am most days. IT SUX!!!

:)

Hi Rachel

Send me a pm and I will give you my number so you can talk to me - I have had 19 years experience in childcare and I feel that I have solved many issues especially "sleep problems"

Cheers

Fiona (Family Daycare Provider)

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,I would focus more on spending some relaxing time together before your child goes to bed.Maybe a nice "quiet"type bathtime,then share a quick book or two whilst their having their bedtime drink.Once put to bed,reinforce that its time for them to go to sleep,and that you're not far away.If your child gets out of bed,gently but firmly lead them back to bed,minimal attention,tell them again its time to sleep.You might have to do this several nights before they stay.Above all,have patience,it will pay off!Has your child got a favourite toy they take to bed?

Guest MrsHills

I am having an awful time with my son, he is 7 and a half and wakes up most nights with nightmares (night terrors) it is driving me NUTS!!!! I really dont like to leave him as I know how scared I am if I have a nightmare. supposed to grow out of it but this has been going on for nearly a year! He screams or cries, I go in settle him down and he goes back to sleep, or he comes running through and again I take him back to bed and he goes to sleep, its like he's not even awake!

I am having an awful time with my son, he is 7 and a half and wakes up most nights with nightmares (night terrors) it is driving me NUTS!!!! I really dont like to leave him as I know how scared I am if I have a nightmare. supposed to grow out of it but this has been going on for nearly a year! He screams or cries, I go in settle him down and he goes back to sleep, or he comes running through and again I take him back to bed and he goes to sleep, its like he's not even awake!

Recurrent nightmares can be linked to sleep paralysis (don't worry it's not dangerous, just brain waking up before body does, during REM sleep). Google it, should get you some info. (incidentally, some people don't really notice the paralysis part, since it often only lasts half a second or so, unless you're one of the really unlucky ones)

Does he sleep on his back? Sorting this out might be as simple as getting him to sleep on his side, worked for me when I was suffering from it a few years back. Also getting up and walking around and literally shaking it off before going back to sleep to stop it happening again as soon as fell asleep. Since these are simple measures, they're worth a try.

For me, just knowing what it was, was the biggest help. It might help even just explaining that everyone has dreams, both good dreams and scary dreams, and that they're not real, they're just the brain's way of exploring what it's learnt that day (does it at night because he's got other things to do during the day), most people sleep through them and don't remember them but for some reason part of him is waking up in the middle of this process.

Might also help to teach him some relaxation techniques to help clear the adrenaline after a fright (e.g. deep breaths, stretching excercises, trying to tighten and then relax each muscle in turn from head to toes, trying to move each toe independently - requires lots of concentration since it's actually not possible for some of the toes, reciting a poem or singing a happy song, whatever might work for him)

Guest mark&rachel

Yes we have tried the tough love (well still trying). We do the 'relax; before bedtime too but nothing works. We had a stair gate but he managed to somehow get over it and the car bed he has doesnt allow for a bed guard. Bugger.

Driving us nuts. Our two are good as gold and we never had much trouble. 4 or 5 days 'tough love' and they were fine. Ah well must be the big man getting me back for having it so easy!!