Guest Damien

Shark by PNJ

Guest Damien

It was a first for us yesterday, we were enjoying the beach at Port Noarlunga when the Westpac chopper started hovering right in front of us. It stayed there for a good 15-20 minutes, sometimes dropping quite close to the water probably only 50-100m out. Everyone stood at the edge just watching, then it eventually headed towards Moana and everyone got back in.

Not sure what species of shark it was or how big it was, did anyone else see anything?

Damien

Guest motlyman
    It was a first for us yesterday, we were enjoying the beach at Port Noarlunga when the Westpac chopper started hovering right in front of us. It stayed there for a good 15-20 minutes, sometimes dropping quite close to the water probably only 50-100m out. Everyone stood at the edge just watching, then it eventually headed towards Moana and everyone got back in.

Not sure what species of shark it was or how big it was, did anyone else see anything?

Damien

Should have chucked a line out mate :biglaugh:

Colin

Guest Guest5035

it was my wife...........the chopper must have thought it was a whale shark

stevo

Guest Damien
    it was my wife...........the chopper must have thought it was a whale shark

stevo

I thought I was the only one daft enough to post about the mrs! They do find out you know. I learnt the hard way. She's :realmad:

Guest Guest5035
    I thought I was the only one daft enough to post about the mrs! They do find out you know. I learnt the hard way. She's :realmad:

i was daft enough to marry mine:biglaugh:

stevo

Guest guest569

Apparantly the surf club say a bag was snatched and someone was pushed off the jetty . The chopper stuck around for 20 mins to watch what was going on. Haven't heard anything about a shark sighting.As you are supposed to report all sightings is there a website you fishermen use to see whats happening out there ??

Guest Guest75
    Apparantly the surf club say a bag was snatched and someone was pushed off the jetty . The chopper stuck around for 20 mins to watch what was going on. Haven't heard anything about a shark sighting.As you are supposed to report all sightings is there a website you fishermen use to see whats happening out there ??

No one particular site to look on,I get reports from Sea Rescue but that is more boat incidents.

Guest Damien

According to Adelaide Now a shark was reported at 1430 at Southport. Also seen at Moana. The behaviour of the chopper, going up and down seemed to be a scare tactic so I think something was there. There was also another incident with the SLSC kicking off at the same time.

Guest sjs

I have been dying to post on this but have been having trouble from my husbands phone - back on line now so here goes.

I was in the shallow waters of Christies Beach (to my waist) on Saturday with my eldest son and turned round to see a bleeding shark! The water was crystal clear so I got a really good aerial view of it - i would have said it was not a kick in the bum off of 5 ft, grey, really rounded nose and moving quiet slowly. It took me a few seconds to glance from its head to its tail which is only when my heart skipped a beat and I realised this was real and we needed to get out the water. When I called my sons name to get his attention and looked over at him I realised he was looking at it too - wide eyed, he is only 6 - he was looking side on where I was looking from behind. Luckily it was swimming away from us. When we got to shore along with a few people that were in the water around us we watched as its silvery looking fin came out the water a few times and then it seemed to be gone. I was shaking and my heart was racing.

This was around 1:45 on Saturday. About 5 mins later the helicopter came around a few times and around 25 mins later as we were leaving the beach the yellow sls boat came in really close to shore and going really slowly, looked to me like perhaps they had some reports and were looking for something? Anyway we left and really unsure who to report it to we called the Christies SLSC who said they would put out extra patrols in the area.

It was really an amazing looking animal and in a way I am glad I saw it though it really has brought home the fact they do come in close to shore.

I am counting our lucky stars that either the shark we came across was just not a danger to humans or just simply not that hungry.

:err:

Guest Guest75

Wow!! What an experience Sarah!!!:shocked::shocked:

Glad you were lucky.!!:D

Guest Aussie pat

If anyone has a fear of sharks that puts them off swimming at the beach like me, we've found somewhere that's much safer and really enjoyable. It's down at Victor Harbor and would make a lovely day out or holiday for the kids as well.

We've started using the swimming lake/beach at Encounter Bay. It's off Bartel's Road (near Franklin Island) and is part of a man made lake filled with fresh sea water. Pipes with wire mesh allow the water to circulate to and from the sea and no big fish can get in. Apparently the mesh is too small for baby sharks as well so they can't slip thru and then grow and eat you either (you can tell I have a shark phobia can't you!).

There is a nice clean sandy beach bordered by grass and trees, tap for rinsing off sand, toilet block and shop across the road for ice creams etc. Dogs aren't allowed in the water but there is plenty of grass and trees for them. The beach slopes off gently so little ones can't step off a ledge into deep water. The water is clean and it has a sandy bottom so no weed or sharp bits. There are no currents either.

You can swim out into the lake and sticky beak at all the lovely houses that back onto the lake. There is also lots of room for canoes, inflatable toys etc. so our teenagers love it. If it was in the UK it would be packed full of people on a hot day. We swam there over 3 days last weekend and it wasn't busy despite the heat. I can highly recommend it if you're looking for something cheap to do over the holidays.

Guest Aussie pat

I forgot to add that Dad (or Mum) can have a nice cold beer/wine at the Boulevard Cafe as well whilst they are minding the dog etc.

Guest Aussie pat

I think you may be right about the name of the reserve. When we first started going down that way everyone said the area was just for retired people but we've seen people of all ages down there. Lots of kids of all ages.

I don't want to give people the idea that I don't like the beach. I love it but don't relax if I go swimming there. So I use the proper beach for everything else including paddling and pop to the swimming lake for a proper swim. I even swim until I lose sight of the beach and get a good work out.

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Just because there has been a shark sighting dont let this put any new comers off going into the sea, the shark spotting plains started about a week ago. The chances of getting knocked over by a car are a million times greater than getting attacked by a shark. I have been a member at Southport SLSC for 3 years and been patroling for the past 2 and have never seen a shark yet, Iam not saying there not about .....but dont let this put you off....besides the water is heaps coldes down at Port Elliot......

Guest sjs

You can laugh Graham ! But like you said you have not come face to face with one yet !

I always said to my husband - look we know they are our there but what are the chances of being attacked ? or even seeing a shark ?

Now - well lets say I am a little apprehensive about going back into the water.

I am not trying to scare people be telling my story just sharing the facts. I actually have not been on here in ages and came on myself purely to see if anyone had mentioned anything about a shark sighting that day, so was pleased I found this thread so I could vent about what happened!

Just to finish I will probably go back in the water despite my new found fear as I have 2 kids I have brought to Australia and so dont want them to be scared of the ocean but to enjoy it. It may just take me, and my son, a bit of time to get over what happened.

Guest graandjac
    You can laugh Graham ! But like you said you have not come face to face with one yet !

I always said to my husband - look we know they are our there but what are the chances of being attacked ? or even seeing a shark ?

Now - well lets say I am a little apprehensive about going back into the water.

I am not trying to scare people be telling my story just sharing the facts. I actually have not been on here in ages and came on myself purely to see if anyone had mentioned anything about a shark sighting that day, so was pleased I found this thread so I could vent about what happened!

Just to finish I will probably go back in the water despite my new found fear as I have 2 kids I have brought to Australia and so dont want them to be scared of the ocean but to enjoy it. It may just take me, and my son, a bit of time to get over what happened.

:goofy:maybe i should have worded it a little differenly.....Iam sure i would feel the same if and when it happens.......I didnt think for one minute you were trying to scare monger.

Guest Guest75
    :biglaugh:Just because there has been a shark sighting dont let this put any new comers off going into the sea, the shark spotting plains started about a week ago. The chances of getting knocked over by a car are a million times greater than getting attacked by a shark. I have been a member at Southport SLSC for 3 years and been patroling for the past 2 and have never seen a shark yet, Iam not saying there not about .....but dont let this put you off....besides the water is heaps coldes down at Port Elliot......

I thought the planes and helicopters had been scanning for weeks.

We often have them buzzing the boat when we are fishing.

Even had one buzzing me on Monday about 10 k's out............... but there was a dark shape circling the boat.:shocked::shocked:

Guest Damien

They've been doing weekend patrols for a few weeks, started 7 days a week a couple of weeks ago. How big was the fella you saw Russell?

Guest Guest75
    They've been doing weekend patrols for a few weeks, started 7 days a week a couple of weeks ago. How big was the fella you saw Russell?

No idea Damien - just a quick glimpse of a shape in the water.