How much did it cost u to break lease?

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hi

We are going to break our lease soon. From what ive read on here we will be responsible for advertising fees.

Is there any kind soul out there who can share with me how much it cost them to break their lease (not including rent payments) as im trying to work out if we can afford it or whether we should wait 6 months til the lease expires.

Many thanks

Michelle

If my memory serves me correctly there is a cut off point of how much they can actually charge you.

like if you leave 6 months before then end they can't actually demand 6 months rent back from you, alot of people advertise on here the fact that they going to be breaking a lease and then that in turn fills the lease broken rental....

TBH the amount of people actually looking for rentals you should easily fill it.....

There have been a few guys in your position use the search facility for some older threads.....

Good luck

HG

If my memory serves me correctly they can only charge advertising fees on how many months you have left for your lease divided by the total amount of your lease left - in your case as you have half left you would be up for 50% advertising costs, if there are any. It's very unlikely your place would remain unrented for the remainder 6 months so you would be only liable for whatever period it takes to rent it. The landlord can increase the rent but it has to be a realistic amount so best to contact the Office of Business and Consumer Affairs (OCBA) if they do this because this could disadvantage you if they increase the rent considerably. Be careful this time of year tho at the moment there are lots of people turning up to various inspections but as one agent told me that will change closer to Christmas because people are hesitant to move immediately before Christmas.

You will be responsible for rent until the property is released, plus advertising costs plus re letting fees. we broke our lease 2 months early and it still cost us around $900 which was 2 weeks rent, plus fees and final water bill.

Check with OCBA as there are equations they use for the advertising and relet fees, but the rent will be what ever you pay per week x the amount of weeks that the property is unlet,

M

We cancelled our lease back in September as we have returned to the UK. Our agents were very good and only charged us 1 week' rent @$395 for the changeover, as they managed to get a new tenant to move in the day after we moved out. We were aware that if the house had not been relet immediately that we would have been responsible for the rent until it was relet.

If you are looking for a house to rent, and you possibly think that you may possibly be breaking the lease, then I would suggest that you look for a property that is fairly new and will relet easily.

We came across a family in a poor property who had moved out, only to find that they were stuck with a mortgage on a new property and rent to pay, which nearly broke them!!.

Last year we were having to search for a new property over the xmas period, and found very little on the market, as people were still looking but there was very little to see.

Guest familygood

We were lucky that people moved in straight away and only paid $79 in advertising costs. We were luicky I guess do contact the OCBA they have good factsheets about your rights and responsibilities We were suprised how easy it was and quite common place here.