Can't begin to say how scared I am :-/

Hazel M

Sorry I had to post this just to get it off my chest..

After all the goings on and getting things done for the last 2+ yrs I can't believe that we have only got 3 weeks and 1 day left here!

Its very exciting that its all happening but I am absolutely petrified at the thought of it all at the moment too.

I am scared about being on our own over there where we have no friends yet and people I can call at a moments notice to help us out like we have here in our family and friends. Also I feel guilty that I am taking the children away from the friends they've got here to where they have no-one that they know at all. Also its one of my daughter's birthday at the end of Jan and I feel bad that she wont have a party with anyone she knows!

I dont ever really feel like I cant cope but right now I feel like Im completely mad for putting us through this - I think what makes it worse is that we have children and I am taking them away from the people here who would do anything for them and love them so much. Now its going to be a case of only seeing their grandparents ocassionally in real life rather than whenever we like. I woke up in the early hours yesterday and couldnt get back to sleep because of the panic about it all.

Everything just feels very perculiar right now. I know that I have thought about this for a long time and feel that we are doing the right thing for us a family... its just so hard.

Sorry to post a negative thread. I just need to say how I feel at the moment as its all happening very soon.

Hazel.

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi Hazel

It pretty normal to feel like you feeling, it is very scary going into the unknown. I had loads of sleepless nights worrying about things.

We have made some lovely friends through PIA, some I know I could call on if needed.

I wished we could have squeezed a meet up before we left UK, at least the kids could have met. Still we can meet up when you get here, be nice to have another "local" around LOL.

See you soon xxx

Hi Hazel

You poor love!!! I think every mum on this site felt exactly as you do, the guilt is big when you think about the grandparents and the rest of the family you are leaving behind BUT you have Skype, which is a god send and the girls are a great age to do this and they will make friends so easily you wont believe it. Just remember why you decided to come here.

Its not all roses, you will have homesick times when you first get here BUT in the end it all works itself out, you will make friends and build a lovely life for you and the kids x

Keep the faith

Take Care

Kimx

Guest brianlynnette
Sorry I had to post this just to get it off my chest..

After all the goings on and getting things done for the last 2+ yrs I can't believe that we have only got 3 weeks and 1 day left here!

Its very exciting that its all happening but I am absolutely petrified at the thought of it all at the moment too.

I am scared about being on our own over there where we have no friends yet and people I can call at a moments notice to help us out like we have here in our family and friends. Also I feel guilty that I am taking the children away from the friends they've got here to where they have no-one that they know at all. Also its one of my daughter's birthday at the end of Jan and I feel bad that she wont have a party with anyone she knows!

I dont ever really feel like I cant cope but right now I feel like Im completely mad for putting us through this - I think what makes it worse is that we have children and I am taking them away from the people here who would do anything for them and love them so much. Now its going to be a case of only seeing their grandparents ocassionally in real life rather than whenever we like. I woke up in the early hours yesterday and couldnt get back to sleep because of the panic about it all.

Everything just feels very perculiar right now. I know that I have thought about this for a long time and feel that we are doing the right thing for us a family... its just so hard.

Sorry to post a negative thread. I just need to say how I feel at the moment as its all happening very soon.

Hazel.

hi hazel lynnette here, we'll be like you hopefully in a few months time, i think what youre going thru is normal, youre bound to have a few anxietys, put it this way when its your daughters birthday, if shes old enough for nursery or school have a party and invite the whole class, that way you can also get to know some of the parents, i done it when my son started a new infants, i no its a bit diffrent cos we moved local areas but treat it the same cos i think if you start thinking of how big a deal it is the kids will pick up on it, i cant wait to be in your position minus the anxietys but everyone goes thru the are we doing the right thing so i think your normal haha good luck sooo wish it was me and my family:biglaugh:

You are bound to have regrets and worries - its a huge step to take.

We're grandparents who were 'left behind' in the UK. There is no way we would have stood in our daughter's way and, much as we hated the idea of her leaving with two beautiful grandchildren, we sent them on their way with our blessing.

It hasn't been easy but the internet is wonderful and we talk more on the webcam than we ever did when she was in the UK. We have been lucky enough to visit them every year since they emigrated 5 years ago.

Now we have applied for CPVs and hope to join them in 2012. We are leaving a grown up son behind but he will be able to visit us all and, who knows, he may decide to settle in Australia too one day - nothing is impossible!

Live the dream - give it a go!

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Hazel,

I can more or less relate to what you have said in your post, word for word. The only difference is, we don't have children. Never the less, the feeings of nausea, excitment and waking up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts about what we are about to do are all very real. My partner and I will be going over March time. It's really weird, but despite all my anxieties, I know deep down we are doing the right thing. It will be hard leaving family and friends, but thats to be expected. Judging from this website, everyone seems pretty friendly and welcoming, and there are lots of people going through exactly the same process. I keep telling myself, the best things in life are usually the most difficult to obtain. Also, it's better to regret something you tried than something you did'nt. You don't want to be one of those, as you will never know, and that would prob be worse.

Hope that helps

:-)

As it's been said already, what you are feeling is perfectly natural. Just keep remembering (which is what I did and still do on occasion), planes go both ways! treat the whole thing as an adventure. Experiences are there to be experienced, there are so many people in the world who would love to have your opportunity so embrace the whole thing. What's the worse that can happen?? you go back?....if that happened you'd be a richer person for it and have had the best time trying.

By the way, don't feel isolated. I've met some great people through this site, and don't be afraid to ask for help, I for one would be happy to meet you for a coffee or whatever.

Hope this helps!

Hi Hazel,

It's certainly not a negative post. It's a totally normal expression of anxiety.

The locals are a friendly bunch and it makes settling in so much easier.

There will be doubts (I still have them!) but the reasons for the move will always be there.

You will get plenty of support from people on this site.

Take care.

Tamara

As people have said what you are feeling is entirely normal, you will soon make friends through PIA, school, child care etc. As for your daughters birthday she won't mind about a party, SOphie had a birthday 10 days after we arrived, I made a cake and we spent the day doing fun things with her, away from the house hunting etc. She had a great day a still talks about it and the fact that she was the first one to have a birthday here.

Just take things a day at a time and it will all come good

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh:

As everyone else said....IT's NORMAL!!!!!!

Just happened to read an old post of Andy and Lindsays...I've quoted it below.........

Hi there, we fly on Oct 26th and we both feel absolutely petrifried at the moment. Both given up decent jobs ,sold the house and all worldly possesions apart from a few that are probably sailiing down the Suez canal as we speak. Kids are 5 and 3 and the day all their toys we're packed and shipped was upsetting for all of us. Been living with my parents for the past six weeks and leave later this week which is filling us both with dread and forboding. However on the upside the kids can't wait to get there make new friends and enjoy the space and decent weather so all in all we can totally empathise with the emotions your going through but we're both looking forward to getting there and starting our new lives. Stay positive and we'll see you on the other side.

Andy:D

There are two lasting bequests that we can hope to give our children - one of those is roots: the other is wings!

Enjoy!!!!!!:anisanta::anisanta:

Hi, 2 of your kids are the same age as ours were when we left the UK....they have both( Particularly my Daughter) made more friends here than they ever did in England. Once they get out and into school or kindy they will meet loads of other kids , if they are friendly and sociable there, they will be here, kids are pretty easy going over here.Of course the ''Taking them away from loved ones'' is difficult, obviously you thought long and hard about that one prior to getting your visa..........it's your life, your doing what you think is best, no-one can tell you otherwise!

Friends our kids had in the UK 3 years ago have all but been forgotten, i quite often throw a name at my daughter...''Who'' she says?

Family is different, it can be hard but then you knew that already, Facebook/ Skype, all good ways of keeping in touch!!!!!!

Try and focus on WHY your making the move and stay clear of percieved negatives, its a good life out here, if you want to make it work, you will........

There endeth the sermon!!!!!

Best of luck!

Simon:)

The support network here is fantastic. We have all been through it and there have been people here to help us. From lending items to advice or inviting us round to give us a break from the rental hunting, car shopping, form filling, etc. They did it for us as those before did for them. Thats how it works. There are people in the UK that are just thinking about making the move and no doubt you will be doing your bit for them.

As for the littlies. Don't worry. They will adapt and settle a lot quicker and easier than you will. A few trips out to the beach and a cuddle with a koala will keep them happy. As for family, Skype is a good tool. Of course its not the same but it wil keep them in contact and it helps to see faces they know. It will also help those still in the UK to see everything is okay.

Pete

Hi Hazel,

OMG I know exactly what you're going through! We've only been here 4 weeks and it has been a mad whirlwind for the last 2 months from continuous goodbye meals, packing, sending off dog & house clearance ... to OMG we only have our suitcases and house-hunting, car buying and getting things to fill the new house with!

Suddenly we've been here 4 weeks - time just evaporates!!

Dont worry too much though as people have been FANTASTIC!! Just beg n borrow to get you started, ebay, oodle and garage sales are a godsend!

We have made several friends already - and seems so easy! My only concern now is my kids are stuck at home with my hubby with no car to do anything! Poor blighters are bored and summer has only just begun! Once settled we can think about clubs.

My daughter is 7 - 8 in January (23rd) so if you fancy getting together for a joint beach BBQ Birthday party we can sort something out! We'll sort it out so all you need to do is bring yourselves! :)

BTW where are you heading?

Kindest regards

Von xxx

Guest Chandan

Hi Hazel,

I was nervous about leaving my UK life to come to Adelaide - and I lived here till I was 20!! I have a 4.5 year old boy and a nearly 1 year old boy. I too am 32 so perfect ages!! I am in Edwardstown and would love to do a playdate when you arrive. We have been here for 6 months and its taken awhile for the kids to meet friends, we see my old girlfriends and their kids, but they have established lives and its hard to be 'new' in their circles, so I cant imagine what its like to completely new people!

PM me if you would like to meet up, and i'll give you my phone number. I also have a spare travel cot if you need to borrow one (or I can sell it to you cheaply) for the little one.

Take one day at a time, then it feels less overwhelming.. and bring your duvets!!

Good Luck,

Danni

If you have recently arrived and the children haven't started school yet and you are now faced with 7 weeks of summer holidays, there are still things you can do with the children to get them out mixing with other kids.

You can join a surf club (nippers) at any time, they usually let you do 2 weeks 'come and try' for a small amount. See Surf Life Saving South Australia  - First Aid Training, Administration, Lifesaving, Lifeguards, Coastal Safety, Development, Junior Activities, Community

Likewise Little Athletics have 'come and try' South Australian Little Athletics

These keep going through the summer apart from a couple of weeks shut down over Christmas.

Also Vacswim is great (swimming lessons) and really reasonably priced. It runs from January 5th - 13th at loads of venues (including the beaches). The kids will enjoy having 'lessons' and mixing with other children.

http://www.vacswimsa.com/

As for birthdays - do something special instead of a party, like a Dolphin boat cruise or a trip to the zoo.