Guest Big E

Hello all or should I say G'day mate. Yep another newbie..

Guest Big E

Hi there,

I am hoping that the this web site can help me. I have just been told that I am to be made redundant at the end of Jan 2011. This could be my last chance to move on with my life. I am considering using my redundancy money to purchase my 475 visa. My job is on the sol list and the state wanted list. I have family friends (North Haven) who will put a roof over my head in Adelaide. Using an agent for my Visa it will cost around £5000 to move over + airfare (one way.)

I am trying not to bombard people at this early stage with questions but I guess thats what everyone does at first.

I am 37 years old (or young).. and have been working in the M&E Consulting Engineering as a draftsman/Technician for 10 years. I have moved away from my home in England and worked in Scotland for the last 5 years. Just renting accomodation but with the same firm. I will have to sell my car....boo who.... but nothing lasts forever.

I have 2 questions for now if anybody can help...

1. Who should I use to obtain my Visa (should I do it myself with some guidance or use a recongnised rep). I understand though, I will have to take the English test to get enough points.

2. Once the visa is obtained.. do I need to have a job before I move out to Adelaide.

Well theres me for now.

Anybody with any hellos or friendly gestures please email.

Cheers,:jiggy:

Big E.

Hi there

Welcome and just thought I'd add one point - you don't have to sell your car if you are really attached to it - you could bring it with you. Mandy on here put together a handy fact sheet on how to do this - send her an email on Mandy@h2h.com.au and she'll happily forward it on to you. She's also written a great little book on emigrating too, if you look at the H2H website (http://www.h2h.com.au) there is a link to buy it! Sorry for the plug - she's a good friend of mine, but both the (free) factsheet and the book are well worth a read!!

Diane

We didn't use an agent and managed easily enough. Obviously depends on your personal circumstances and how much you're willing to familiarise yourself with the visa types and conditions, but all the forms and guidance you need are available online. For those who use them, though, agents provide peace of mind that everything's been done correctly. You need to decide if this is worth the extra £££s

Well worth doing a free self assessment from an agent's website as a starting point.

Good luck, Jim

In the field you're in as well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job. If you can afford it, might be worth having a recce visit out here and calling in to a few employment agencies and companies. Brother in law (same field) did this couple of years ago, and got three job offers in a week. Went home, sorted out visa and took his pick. Was about five years ago though... I'll ask him if his place needs anyone, or if not, what the best agencies are.

Guest kangomik

If your application is straight forward then do it your self, many many people do. Use site's like this for when you get stuck or confused.

Get references from your rental people, it all helps when you get here trust me.

Not sure on your visa, but most don't need a job before arriving unless it's employer sponsored, and then you wouldn't need an agent.

Good luck with it, have fun on the adventure.

Guest Big E

Morning/Evenin all,

Thanks for all the responses... A good little read for the start of the day. I have done the assessment and even spoken to an agent who has advised that I need to do the Ilets test to get all the points I need to qualify. They did say they would deal with my application. With this being a new adventure I would like a rep to deal with it but they want £1200. I dont want to mess around and miss a tick box but there must be a cheaper agency than £1200 who are reliable. My car is to be part of my living money for when I move. I modified it myself and can always do it again if I want to in the future. I have 6 weeks to gather all the info and what is the best way and means before I get my redundancy money and start the Visa process. I understand that I have not been to Aus in the past....But what do I have to lose...When you go to work ...You have to get your head down and get on with it....My job is sat at a computer most of the time so I will always be in an office. Its about the time and quality outside of work that will count. At the moment I am working in Scotland which is a beautiful place.....but very cold...

Thanks again all, keep in touch,

Big E.

Guest kangomik

if memory serves me right that 1200 sounds pretty cheap.

I don't know what an agent does, but i know Alan usually gets a mention at Go Matilda. Like i said we didn't use one and did not have the easiest route, but we got here.

Your right about work, so many people think they will be sat on a beach all day slurping wine and having Barbies, when everyone knows you just don't go to the beach during the day, you go at night LOL

Guest Big E

Thanks...

I suppose for the knowledge that you are not going to make an error and every box will be ticked, t's crossed etc it is worth the money. It is still a bit of money that I would rather spend in Aus, than on an agent, but I suppose you have to pay for the service.

Cheers

Big E

Guest cazbob

I don't have much advice but just wanted to welcome you to PIA.

I'm doing my visa app myself (although the 457 seems a helluva lot easier than some other categories) and the help, support and guidance you'll get on here is amazing... so should you choose to your application yourself, you won't really be doing it alone! :D

Exciting times ahead for you E!

Best of luck with it all

Caz

Guest Big E

Thanks,

I suppose Im being a bit lazy in a way but feel that I am giving the responsability to someone else..

I will have to looks at all the forms properly and in detail and decide from there...

Cheers and good luck.

Big E

Guest Mitchell
    hello, i am new, i have many questions, but i don't know how to ask here.

[/url]

Step 1: use the search feature to look up previous posts. If you can't find exactly what you want or need some clarification ...

Step 2: post a question on the relevant part of the forum

Step 3: wait for the lovely PIAs to reply

Easy :)