Anne B

House selling costs

Can anyone give me an idea of how much commission real estate agents charge for selling a house? Obviously it varies between agents and properties but a rough idea would be really useful. Also, does the seller have to pay for advertising costs too? How much would these be?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

We are paying 1.8% to our agent when he sells, You also have to pay for advertising, board - $155, Electronic Media - $214, small classified advert $ 119, and coloured brochures which have cost us $10. This is with Elders, supossedly mates rates as he is a friend

Hi,

We are paying 1.8% to our agent when he sells, You also have to pay for advertising, board - $155, Electronic Media - $214, small classified advert $ 119, and coloured brochures which have cost us $10. This is with Elders, supossedly mates rates as he is a friend

Thanks for that !!

Seems quite cheap, I'm sure in the UK commission was anything up to 3%.

Thanks for that !!

Seems quite cheap, I'm sure in the UK commission was anything up to 3%.

And in my opinion, the agents here do a lot more work than their UK equivalents!!

From what I gather, it is best to negotiate with the estate agents here as their rates all vary quite a bit. When we sold our house in the UK, we payed 1% commision. And Dianne, I have found the Estate agents here to be useless! We have phoned and sent messages to go look at houses and they have either not got back to us or tried to put us off going to look!

But at least the ones selling your house don't expect you to do all the showing round and sales pitch - ours in the UK even used a photo I had taken - and then charge you a fortune for basically typing up a sheet, photocopying it, and putting it in the postbox!

Guest Guest5035
    I have found the Estate agents here to be useless! We have phoned and sent messages to go look at houses and they have either not got back to us or tried to put us off going to look!

thats because they want you to view the house with everybody else, its called selling.

stevo

Guest Guest5035
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much commission real estate agents charge for selling a house? Obviously it varies between agents and properties but a rough idea would be really useful. Also, does the seller have to pay for advertising costs too? How much would these be?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

my future son in law is an agent are you selling???

stevo

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Anne. As you are in Grange, you may want to try Lakes and Portside. They charge around 2.5% but they absorb ALL costs. In other words, if the house doesn't sell in the time you sign up for (min 3 months) you don't pay them a cent. They don't do open inspections it's all by appointment only, as they prefer to vet all their prospective buyers to make sure they are qualified buyers and not timewasters or nosey neighbours that usually go to most "opens".

They have recently sold ours for us and we cannot praise them highly enough. Very professional and an added bonus, for us, our contact was Nick Tuck - a fine, upstanding, young Englishman who speaks both UK and Aussie real-estate "languages"

Best of luck, Kazza

Thanks for the replies everyone, just the info I wanted. I haven't got anything to sell, just doing some research - call me a coward but I didn't want to ring up any real estate agents!