Guest sarahtwinn82

Driving Instructor.

Guest sarahtwinn82

Can anyone recommend a good driving instructor south of the city please?

Guest cazbob

Can't help Sarah but would be interested to know of any recommendations too! :)

I had 'get my driving licence' on my list of things to do this summer but it got totally waysided and i don't fancy doing lessons and a test in the snow and ice now so i'll be keen to learn as soon as I can once we're over there. any advice? will i be able to do a driving test if i'm there on a 457 visa?

Caz

Guest dunnarunna

hi there my daughter is using allen miller in lonsdale 8186 7200 and they have been really helpful (ask for amy simmonds just started teaching great instructor for young girls my daughter passed today with her help she was her first pass so a proud moment for both)

donna

We use Darren Davis (a pom who also trains instructors). They are FABULOUS! can't remember the number off hand as I use our instructors mobile number. They came highly recommended to us and definately are brilliant.

Guest sarahtwinn82

We just need help with our daughter passing the theory bit so she can get a licence, shes failed it 4 times now.

I second SWMBO's suggestion. Get her to do it over and over again (as different, randomly selected questions each time) until she gets all the Give Way ones, and most of the others, before paying out to try it at the Licensing office.

Good luck to her.

My daughter is currently having lessons with an English guy called Daryl, lives Seaford way, he was recommended by a number of people, PM me if you want the details

I also would like my daughter to learn driving & contacted the closest driving school. They charge $75 per hour & wanted to double check if this is the standard rate.

Appreciate your feedback.

There was an ad in our local Messenger tonight advertising $55 an hour so $75 sounds a little steep. One thing to check though is if they teach on an automatic or manual car - apparently it's quite hard to get someone who teaches on a manual. As far as I can make out, if you pass the test on an automatic you still get a full license, enabling you to drive anything, but I want my daughter to learn to drive a manual so that's something worth thinking about, and checking.

Guest Mitchell
    There was an ad in our local Messenger tonight advertising $55 an hour so $75 sounds a little steep. One thing to check though is if they teach on an automatic or manual car - apparently it's quite hard to get someone who teaches on a manual. As far as I can make out, if you pass the test on an automatic you still get a full license, enabling you to drive anything, but I want my daughter to learn to drive a manual so that's something worth thinking about, and checking.

Don't teach manual? I'm sure my nephew in law who's learning in SA is having to learn in a manual and can only drive an automatic when he passes. Another way the states all differ I suppose.

Don't teach manual? I'm sure my nephew in law who's learning in SA is having to learn in a manual and can only drive an automatic when he passes. Another way the states all differ I suppose.

No you can learn in either (with the limitation of finding an instructor to teach you), pass in either, then can drive both! Opinions do differ - one of my daughter's friends parents thinks it's better to learn in an auto, and get used to all the other stuff (road positioning, timing, rules etc) without worrying about clutches and gears. I think learning to drive on a manual is better because you're more "in control" of the car - we have one of each and I do sometimes feel the automatic is making my decisions for me (:shocked:)

To pass as well, there are two options - you can take a test (VORT = vehicle on the road test) or you can get things ticked off in a logbook by a qualified instructor and when you have a full book of ticks - voila!

So if you do the log book thing and do all your hours, you do not need to do a driving test to get your P's, or am I reading it wrong.

Yes that's pretty much it - you need to do at least the 75 hours of supervised driving (you have to do that whatever), but then you have the choice of a VORT or the CBT&A (Competency Based Training and Assessment) course where you get checked off in 30 tasks by an instructor and are then issued with a Certificate of Competency which allows you to obtain your Ps.

When you pass your theory test to get your Ls you get a Log Book and it's all explained in there. You can take the theory test any time from youir 16th birthday but new rules say you now have to be at least 17 before you get your Ps, and have to have been on your Ls for at least a year (if you're under 25)

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi,

I have recently passed via the log book route. Found this by far the easiest option as i could build the hours up with my partner. The instructor i used was a Pom recc on here, he was excellent as i am a very nervous driver.

I also practiced online for the theory, just kept repeating the test over and over again. have PM details of the instructor, and very reasonable rates.

Jo x