Guest kangomik

Locust's getting near

Guest kangomik

A few people may have been in the barrossa or around Gawler at the weekend and noticed the locust population.

I was in Nuriootpa today and there are loads of them, they are now close to the playford blakeview area north of Elizabeth, don't know if they will be travelling further south but be prepared to clean the car if the do:nah:

Just a quick tip, if they do come south, remember to put some meshing over your grill. We drove through the swarms on way down and way back from Melbourne couple weeks ago, and the cover over the grill we FORGOT to put on meant we had the lovely aroma of cooking locusts on the drive home. Nearly every car we passed had the cover over the grill.

Talking to my farmer friend yesterday about Locusts, he said that they should not be too bad and should not be doing too much damage, due to the fact that they only eat Green stuff and the crops are now Brown awaiting harvest. However they will also eat weeds, so may do some good.

Guest MrsHills

I found one in the garden , phoned the locust hotline but was told 'they arent laying eggs at the moment' hmm does that stop them from eating everything in sight????

I found one in the garden , phoned the locust hotline but was told 'they arent laying eggs at the moment' hmm does that stop them from eating everything in sight????

No doesn't stop them eating, but I think that the pest control works on the basis of reducing numbers of eggs/stopping them hatch, so that's the life-stage they're interested in, once they're full adults, there's not much they can do.

Guest kangomik

Tina they look like big grasshoppers.

I washed some off the ute at bunnings, if you nip down they will still be on the floor, if you had said earlier i could have brought some round on the way home.

Guest kangomik

Back again today, there seem to be fewer, but they are fatter lol, make a lovely mess of the vehicle. Knew i should have taken the material advice.

Guest Guest75

Lots of Snapper coming in from the south have a bellyful of them - must have been feeding near Victoria:cute: