The Hallidays

Laptop Overheating!

Didn't know which section to post this in so apologies for posting in the wrong one....

I have a problem with my laptop and wondered if someone on here could give me some advice.

When my daughter plays games ie Sims, she only gets to play for about 20 minutes then the laptop switches itself off. It does it with other games too so ruled out it being just Sims.

It also gets very hot whilst using it. Have changed the uk plug for an oz one but this doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Please advise

Many thanks

Helen

Guest motlyman

I had that problem with mine and so did my daughter.

What we found was the fan had sucked up loads of dust and fluff blocking the vents.

I took them apart and carefully vacuumed them out and dusted with a make up brush.

Been fine since.

Colin

Guest cornish Busdriver

Yeah normal problem. The vent suck loads of fluf thus slowing down the cooling fan which cause over heating. Will need a good clean out.

Guest moonraker1959

Not sure why they call them Laptops because someone told me recently they're not supposed to go on your lap!Apparently they're supposed to be used on a desk!!!!!:err:We've had two laptops,and whether its just bad luck,I don't know,but neither of them were much cop!Both overheated(this was before someone mentioned that they were not supposed to be used on your lap!!!)So we switched back to a desk top.Its no bigger than a laptop,flat screen,with just a keyboard which suits us fine!I did have a habit with my laptops of reading emails in bed,and thats also a no no!

You should go to Harvey Norman or similar and buy an air mat/cooler pad for your lap top. We run two lap tops about 15 hours a day and they don't overheat because they sit on these pads. Also get a cheap desk fan from Kmart or BigW etc and set that running directly at the CPU. That should help.

As mentioned above , the laptop will need to be disassembled , vents and fans cleaned out , dust removed and a new layer of thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink will need to be applied.

Alex

Don't use laptops on your lap. If you do want to have them on your lap, then buy some of those trays with the bean-bag cushion under them, so the laptop is on a hard flat surface.

As people have mentionned above, check the fans.

If still having issues, try propping up the back corners so that air can circulate under the laptop. (or go buy one of those cooler pads someone else mentionned)

make sure the game you are playing is the only program running, the more programs you have open in the background, the harder the computer is working and the hotter it will get.

There are programs you can download that will display your laptop's temperature on the desktop so you can keep an eye on it.

fans/aircon, if you're too hot, then your computer is going to struggle too... (says the girl who had to put a jumper on yesterday so that partner could keep playing computer games without his old laptop overheating)