Guest fatman

Mobile phones frm UK to Ozzie

Guest fatman

:biglaugh:

Hello folks!!

Here we are again... more questions!!

Some are saying get new mobile's when we arrive in Adelaide... some saying take old mobiles and just get new Sim cards....

Our 12 yr old asking for a I-phone for her birthday.... now wondering?

Thanks, Graham & Janis Price (Scotland UK)

Guest juandbren

why not get her an i touch,then she could use skype to keep in contact with everyone at home and in aussie.Obviously she would have to be in a wifi zone,or at home if you have the internet.Alot cheaper but has limitations unlike a mobile,but usefull as an option and she will have all the other uses, and can download apps etc.We just bought our 12 year old daughter ( Erin) one for xmas .

The Leeches

Guest fatman

Thanks for your reply.... do you mean an Ipad?

Cheers, Graham & Janis Price

Guest juandbren

Hi, Not an ipad,an i touch,looks like an iphone,but is just a small ipad ( hand held ) check them out online,the new model has camera,video recording,ipod,stores music,photo's videos,games,apps etc,etc,

Cheers

Guest kangomik

Some UK phones work fine over here, but you will have a plug issue, and a warranty issue if it has to be sent back to the UK for repairs.

Guest Jo&Phil

I used my old mobile with new sim card here to start with (did pay as you initially)... worked for me. In reality when the phone busts you tend to chuck it and get a new one (what a throw away society we are) ... so maybe you could buy a cheap ordinarly one outright for your daughter if you (or she!) don't want to wait till you arrive here and do the iphone as a 'welcome to Oz' present

Guest Nicky&Andy

i had a nokia c3 (new before we came) couldnt get credit for it once the english ran out, aussi sim wouldnt work, voda phone said the phone was locked to an area (uk) could get it unlocked but have to be somewhere in uk

in the end i got a new phone and sent the other to my mum in uk, i am not into technoglogy at all, only learnt the computer as i new i would need it to communate with family once we moved , so i may have been just unlucky,

Guest BrianS

depends on the phone and network its on in the uk. my orange phone didnt work over here as like most orange phones they are locked to orange and need unlocking.

considering though a mobile here on prepay (which is fine for the start etc) costs less than $30 inc some credit aswell makes sense. however depending on the phone it may be worth bringing it or before you arrive get it unlocked either by the phone company or down the market phone stall.

will say that an iphone for a 12 year old seems a bit excessive unless even at 30 im just getting to old to understand.

iphones can be jailbroken although is4.0 is more difficult it can be done, but then the data costs etc here need to be considered and will it be prepaid or contract.

google will throw up a few answers with regards to unlocking any phone either by a simple code or by a computer programme for it.

Why would anyone want an i-phone?

Only those who think they know best thing they are the best.

(and I am a huge Apple fan BTW), just not into iphones that are more expensive and not as good as many others around.

Pretty much all phones will work in Oz, as long as they are unlocked to all networks.

I have an iPhone, and I had it unlocked by Orange before I left the UK, and it works fine. You'd probably be better off waiting until you got to Oz to buy an iPhone though, as I believe that unlike most of Apple's products, the iPhone only has a UK warranty if bought in the UK.

Also, Apple's products are better value in Oz than in the UK.

An iPod Touch isn't really worth the money as it's pretty much the same as an iPhone apart from lacking in being able to call and text. An iPhone has the same capabilities as a Touch, so as the iPod software.

Guest cazbob

I'd avoid buying a new phone just before you leave as it'll give u a headache when trying to get it unlocked before you leave - most operators will say you have to have spent x amount (100 - 200) on credit on the phone before they will unlock it and if you don't get it unlocked before you go you'll run into difficulty getting it sorted or to work at all with an aussie sim.

If it's an older phone and works well then i highly advise getting the phone unlocked before you leave and just picking up a prepay sim once you arrive - worked fine for me and after a few months when my old one starting giving me grief i bought something new! even had that one unlocked and brought it back to ireland when i came home! :D