Sign in to follow this  
Guest doje6863

Half mast flags

Guest doje6863

Oh dear, I just know I'm going to get slated but, why are the flags at half mast today?

thanks

donna

Guest Damien

Gotta be for the cricket surely!

Or coz I'm leaving Adelaide.............

Guest doje6863

I know Pete Postlethwaite and Gerry Rafferty have died but half mast flags......

the internet isn't much help, adelaide now has a few headline stories but its not that obvious. DH works for the gvt so maybe he will have wisdom when he gets home...

Well here's the rules about flying flags half mast courtesy of Adelaide City Council's regulations: (!)

6.2 Lowering of flags to half-mast

6.2.1 Requests to Council to fly flags at half-mast are managed through the Vibrant City Program.

6.2.2 Requests from the State or Federal Government to fly the State, Australian or other national flags at half-mast are required to meet the following principles, as set out in the Australian Federal Government’s flag protocol:

- flags may be flown at half-mast as sign of mourning

- the half-mast position shall be when the top of the flag is a third of the distance down from the top of the flagpole

- when lowering a flag from a half-mast position, it will be briefly raised to the peak and then lowered ceremoniously

- flags will not be flown at half-mast at night even if it they are illuminated

- when flying the Australian National Flag at half-mast with other flags, all flags in the set will be flown at half-mast. The Australian National Flag will be raised first and lowered last.

6.2.3 There may be times when direction will be given by the Australian Government for all flags to be flown at half-mast.

6.2.4 Council will only lower flags at the request of the State or Australian Governments, inclusive of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags flown by Council.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adccwr/publications/guides_factsheets/flags_and_banners_operating_guidelines.pdf

who knows???!

Guest tinkham_lee

I often see flags flown at half mast, especially the flags on the roundabout at Seaford and Port Noarlunga.

Also sometimes see the aboriginal flag at port Noarlunga flown at half mast.

I thought it was if someone in the local community passed away the flag could be flown at half mast, as a flag in one suburb could be at half mast and in the next suburb flown at full mast. But I could be wrong.

Guest Nick11

Someone was on the sauce last night and couldn't be bothered to pull them up any more?