Hello Everybody

Guest Rob and Clare

Guest Rob and Clare

I suppose just a quick note to introduce ourselves.

Clare and I moved out in July 2005 and so far have enjoyed the whole experience, we moved straight to Mawson Lakes in the north and have now built a house here too, which may have been bad news as i now work in Lonsdale. The drive though is still easier than Lichfield to Telford, even taking South Road.

Although we've been here over 2 years and have made some good friends I just thought i try the site to spread our wings and increase our circle of friends.

So if anyone fancy's a drink or 2 with a couple just under and over 40, and talk about experiences good and bad, Football, AFL or when Marks and Spencers may turn up then drop a note to say Hi.

Cheers

Rob and Clare

Guest philnjulie

Hi Rob and Clare. We to are living in the north, but further north in the barossa valley. We are looking at moving to mawson lakes in the near future. Do you have any children? Know about the local schools? planning on staying in the lakes? julie and phil.

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi Rob and Clare. We to are living in the north, but further north in the barossa valley. We are looking at moving to mawson lakes in the near future. Do you have any children? Know about the local schools? planning on staying in the lakes? julie and phil.

Hi Phil and Julie,

Sorry we don't have children, but I understand the local junior school is pretty good, but i can't be certain. For senior / high schools I've got even less of an idea.

As for Mawson lakes I personally think it's a great place, a perfect mix of open spaces, a decent town centre and cafe's. If possible I would try to stay nearer the town centre, the parts of the estate that are only accessed via the salsbury highway (shoalhaven, cascades, and sanctuary), because if you wanted a walk to the shops or a bike ride it's a fair distance and around busy roads... Staying nearer the centre just means life at the weekend can be very relaxed, no need to drive to the shops and great walks round the lakes or through the creek.

Let me know if you want to know more or if you want to meet up for a coffee.

Rob

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Lisa,

Clare works in Mawson Lakes as well, so one of us is going to have a good drive.. I'd never say never but we have no plans to move at the moment. I think the drive to work is easier from the north to the south, than the other way round.

Does Greg travel far too ?

THanks

Rob

Guest Rob and Clare

Hey Suzer,

Even after 2 years it still takes some time to get used to the shops, although they're not bad, it's just different. Maybe it's where we've struggled to adapt the most... Even now we go to the city just to get some French Connection or other brands we recognise.

How do you get on in auckland ?

Thanks

Rob and Clare

Shopping in Auckland is even worse than shopping in Adelaide, if you can believe it. That's ok though as I plan to go home once every year or so and can just stock up on things then. Will save me money all around;)

Overall though I really enjoy being here in Auckland and am glad we took the opportunity to come here for a while.

We don't have kids either. Would love to meet up for a drinkie or something when we get back.

Suzer

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Suzer,

We've just had a trip to the UK and filled our cases of clothes.. I think we went overboard... ha ha And we're even looking at going back in May, but we'll see...

I still think that if Next opened a shop or even just had the directory here they'd do really well, but there must be a reason.

But these are small things compared to the improved lifestyle, so we can't complain and so many other people would love to be in this part of the world as well..

It'd be good to get together when your both back, when do you finish in Auckland ?

Rob

We should be back in Adelaide by April-ish I would guess. It all depends on how quickly our visa gets processed here...with holidays coming up it could go slower than expected I would think.

I'd be curious as to what you think the improved lifetyle is (different to the Uk, I mean).

Suz

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Suzer,

Hope everything goes well for you ? Are you a citizen in New Zealand ? Or on another visa ? I thought it is easier to transport visa's between Oz and New zealand.

I think different people can get different things from here, I personally wouldn't want to be a single 20 something here as it just doesn't offer the same kind of night life i was used too in Birmingham, but now in my mid 30's my wife and i enjoy the wealth of restuarants (way more than the midlands), the weather is an easy one, but that helps you enjoy the outdoors a whole lot more, again the beach is a big bonus, but mainly it just feels more relaxed here, maybe we got lucky where we live, i don't know, and it's not easy to put your finger on either....

You've lived in Oz before, I think ?? How did you find it ?

THanks

Rob and Clare

Hiya,

I'm originally from Chicago and met my husband while living in England (was on a course in Leeds and he was on a whv in London). We came over to Adelaide for 3+ months before NZ and I wasn't hugely impressed by it (I did like Syndey, where we went for about 2 wks), but I figure you have to settle somewhere and there'll be things to like about it when we get back and are settled I'm sure. Keen to meet people and get involved in things etc. Australia is very much similar to the US in looks and also similar to the UK in culture (in only some ways though of course). I certainly won't miss the Chicago winters;)

Suzer