Guest liamcnaught

Car Insurance recommendations

Guest liamcnaught

Anyone got any advice for best car insurance companies

we were with Direct Line back home and looking for a company that provides a complete package coupled with an excellent service.

Thanks

Lia:jiggy:

Guest ReadyPenny

CGU are really good, comprehensive cover and reasonably priced

Guest Roger

Hello.

As in the UK, there are a plethora of insurance companies to choose from. Having worked in the technical (IT systems, not underwriting) department of an insurance company, I know it is not all about the cheapest company. What's best for your pocket in the short term may not be beneficial in the unfortunate event that you have to make a claim.

Personally, I'm with the NRMA (I'm not affiliated with them), but they are not the cheapest. They are good, and having made a claim, I understand that they seem to have their heads screwed on the right way.

I understand that budget-direct have some good deals, and from what I've been told by others, seem to be operate in a similar way to direct-line in the UK.

A good website where you can get comparative information and possibly a good deal is iSelect.com.au

Bear in mind that in Australia, things operate a little differently. When you "TAX" your car, it is referred to as "rego" (registration). During this process it is compulsory to have a "green slip" which is a certificate of third party insurance. Fully comprehensive insurance is different, and an add-on. You can opt to have your green slip and comprehensive insurance from different providers, but as a general rule, if you use the same insurance company you can get a significant discount. As an added bonus, you can get additional savings by using the same insurance company for other cover, such as household contents.

If you hear the term "pink slip" it refers to a document similar to the MOT in the UK, and is a certificate of "road worthiness" once a vehicle reaches a certain age.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the move... Oh and by the way we drive on the correct side of the road here which is a bonus :)

Regards.

We've found Youi really good. http://www.youi.com.au

And if they're the best quote for you and you're feeling nice, you can tell them I referred you and they give us money!!!! (They say if you don't ask you don't get!)

Guest kerfumph
    Hello.

You can opt to have your green slip and comprehensive insurance from different providers, but as a general rule, if you use the same insurance company you can get a significant discount.

If you hear the term "pink slip" it refers to a document similar to the MOT in the UK, and is a certificate of "road worthiness" once a vehicle reaches a certain age.

Regards.

What are you on about?:goofy:

Guest Roger
    What are you on about?:goofy:

Car insurance in Australia, and similarities to the UK.

Apologies there is no requirement for a road worthiness cert (pink slip) in SA.

Guest kerfumph
    Car insurance in Australia, and similarities to the UK. Is the "road worthiness" document not referred to as a "pink slip" in SA?

You cannot have the compulsary third party with anyone else, it's in with the rego and I guess underwritten by the state gov, so you can't 'add on' Comprehensive to it.

No pink slip in SA unless you get defected by the:policeman:.

Every state has different rules.

Guest Roger
    You cannot have the compulsary third party with anyone else, it's in with the rego and I guess underwritten by the state gov, so you can't 'add on' Comprehensive to it.

No pink slip in SA unless you get defected by the:policeman:.

Every state has different rules.

Thanks for the info.