Guest helene73

hairdressing and IT jobs help.

Guest helene73

HI guys it's my first time on here :) i am just starting the emigration process, we wanted to originaly move to perth but visa agents have told me this is not possible :sad: so we are going for our second choice of Adelaide :D. I was wondering about the job situation in Adelaide i am a hairdresser have been for 15 years and for 7 years have run my own sucessful salon in the uk, my husband is a computer engineer with over 15 years experiance but no formal qualification he specalises in networks and has been the manager of the IT firm for over ten years.

I visited Perth back in october and found hairdressing jobs very easy to come by is this the case in Adelaide? and what kind of wages can i expect for hairdressing and IT.

I would be very gratefull for any info anyone can give me about the job situation and general info about living in Adelaide.

Don't know much about IT but my wife is a hairdresser always lots of jobs advertised a lot part time Thursday late night and saturday work. Money is rubbish about $16 hr on avrage and they do not tip here.

HI guys it's my first time on here :) i am just starting the emigration process, we wanted to originaly move to perth but visa agents have told me this is not possible :sad: so we are going for our second choice of Adelaide :D. I was wondering about the job situation in Adelaide i am a hairdresser have been for 15 years and for 7 years have run my own sucessful salon in the uk, my husband is a computer engineer with over 15 years experiance but no formal qualification he specalises in networks and has been the manager of the IT firm for over ten years.

I visited Perth back in october and found hairdressing jobs very easy to come by is this the case in Adelaide? and what kind of wages can i expect for hairdressing and IT.

I would be very gratefull for any info anyone can give me about the job situation and general info about living in Adelaide.

Don't know anything about hairdressing but I work in IT and have a similar background to your husband. I have had to take quite a big step back in both my job and salary to secure work here. There aren't that many IT Management jobs up for grabs and when they are advertised i have been advised by recruitment agents that employers always consider local people or people with significant local experience first.

That being said jobs do exist but do not expect to find or get your ideal job first, you may have to gain some local experience first.

Cheers

Gary

Guest emmaandlee

You can download a salary guide for IT jobs on Hays website. Its free but you just have to fill out a little form and an email will be sent to you. Hudson's might have one too. If you have a look on Seek.com it will give you an idea of what jobs are available.

Guest helene73
    Don't know anything about hairdressing but I work in IT and have a similar background to your husband. I have had to take quite a big step back in both my job and salary to secure work here. There aren't that many IT Management jobs up for grabs and when they are advertised i have been advised by recruitment agents that employers always consider local people or people with significant local experience first.

That being said jobs do exist but do not expect to find or get your ideal job first, you may have to gain some local experience first.

Cheers

Gary

thanks for that. one thing he has considered is setting up a repair business from wherever we end up living,do you know if this is a easy thing to do or are their permits required to work from home?

When you look on seek.com.au, probably 80% of IT jobs are advertised by Recruitment Agencies, whether all these jobs exist or not is another question!

My partner works in IT and he has been struggling to recruit good calibre applicants for positions.

Guest theclarkes

Sorry to gatecrash ur thread, my son is 17 and has just done a nvq level 2 in IT, he won't be starting the level 3 as we moving out next month. Can anyone tell me can he get a job with this qualification and if so what should I be searching for on sites like seek.com, as I havnt I clue about IT! Or would he need to find a similar course or apprenticeship once in oz?? Thanku if anyone can help :)

The trouble is, in my experience, is with the recruitment agents not being technical They don't understand the positions they are recruiting for. They try and match applicant and the position based upon a few lines of text rather than understanding the clients requirements and the candidates abilities. This is not a unique problem to Adelaide, I had similar issues in the UK when I was recruiting staff.

Since I have been looking for work I can understand the pain from the other side!! I basically ended up taking a job that is not really in line with what I do for less money than I would normally accept just to get me through the quiet period over Christmas. Am now revisiting my options!!

Sorry to gatecrash ur thread, my son is 17 and has just done a nvq level 2 in IT, he won't be starting the level 3 as we moving out next month. Can anyone tell me can he get a job with this qualification and if so what should I be searching for on sites like seek.com, as I havnt I clue about IT! Or would he need to find a similar course or apprenticeship once in oz?? Thanku if anyone can help :)

There are always jobs around at the introductory/training level especially if you focus on the training the job will provide instead of how much income he will get. Seek would be a good place to start, if I hear of anything come up at this level I will certainly let you know.

Cheers

thanks for that. one thing he has considered is setting up a repair business from wherever we end up living,do you know if this is a easy thing to do or are their permits required to work from home?

I am currently looking into this myself as I am looking at a variety of options for the New Year, one of which is starting up a business on my own. I have spoken to a helpful accountant who has given me some advice, and whilst there are few things to figure out it does look fairly simple, however as in any new business the hardest part may be in actually getting a sufficient number of customers to provide an income!!

When are you due over as I would be intersted in speaking to you husband to see if we have any ideas in common ?

Cheers

Gary

When you look on seek.com.au, probably 80% of IT jobs are advertised by Recruitment Agencies, whether all these jobs exist or not is another question!

My partner works in IT and he has been struggling to recruit good calibre applicants for positions.

I would be interested to know what positions he is recruiting for as I am considering my options at the moment. If they are higher level positions please PM me.

Many Thanks

Gary

Guest helene73

:) Will have to look you up when we get out there.

Guest helene73
    :) No problem, we are all here to help each other.

Guest helene73

Hi Gary we are only just at the start of our journey so wont be there for a good 18 month :(

Jon thought about just getting any job then doing repairs and jobs in his spare time and building up from there untill he was in a position to take the buisiness full time, so this may also be a option for you. But yeah would be great to hook up and discuss ideas if they let me in lol :)

I would be interested to know what positions he is recruiting for as I am considering my options at the moment. If they are higher level positions please PM me.

Many Thanks

Gary

My partner has recruited for the positions now after a lot of headaches, they were for mid level positions.

My partner has recruited for the positions now after a lot of headaches, they were for mid level positions.

No worries, well if any more opportunities come up I would ge greatful to hear about them, even if not for me a know a number of tech's that may be interested.

Many Thanks

Gary