Diane

Crispy Duck and Pancakes

Found a local chinese restaurant that does these yesterday! Last time we had it here was when we first arrived, at that posh chinese on Hutt Street, and when they bought the duck to the table whole, head on and everything, to shred it, it kind of put us off...

Anyway, The Princes Room(s?) at Campbelltown do it what I'd call properly - apart from not having spring onions with the cucumber, so if it's something you've been missing, that's where to go! Cost was $21 for one serve which came with 8 pancakes - we ordered an extra serve of pancakes and it was plenty for three of us - although we did have other stuff as well, but probably wouldn't next time (we were just greedy!)

I reckon between four people, soup or starters then two serves of the duck would be the way to go!

Guest willfam

You can also buy a kit to do it at home. Made by LUV a duck and is available at the central market and lots of supermarkets. Also many chinese reataurants on Gouger St serve it....Peking Duck it is called. Usually available as 2 courses firstly the pancakes and then either noodles, rice or in a broth.

Guest Tterrier81

i have had the luv a duck one before, it was very nice, shared it with the other half as an entree, just enough for 2

You can also buy the kits in coles at marion..

Also, for a cheap 'cheat' on the duck.. if you have a slow cooker

Buy a turkey drumstick.. smother it with chinese 5 spice & put in it the slow cooker (dry) on low for about 6 hours.. serve with Pancakes (from an asian shop or central market).. you can buy the sauce any supermarket.. & add spring onions & cucumber.

Not exactly the same, but not bad & a hell of a lot cheaper!!

Guest BrianS

imperial peking on payneham rd st peters also does this. very nice aswell.

Oooo I love Peking duck. Yum.

I tend to make our own. Buy half a duck, the pancakes, hoisin sauce and veggies. Easy to do. I actually cheated the other night and used chicken as they had been out of duck in the store. Then boil up the duck carcass the next day for a few hours to make a stock for the freezer. Use that mainly when making risotto. Two meals from one :)

Nice easy recipe on the Good Food site also BBC - Food - Recipes : Duck pancakes with hoisin sauce

BTW, the BBC Good Food site is fab. I use it loads as you can put recipes you like into an online binder to save. They have a recipe for the duck where you can make the sauce with a handful of ingredients

Chinese duck with pancakes recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food