ozzieclare2be

anyone studied at flinders?

Going back to uni next month to do post grad study and getting paid for it yippee!! Just wondered if anyone else has studied there and were they supportive of the more (cough) mature student he he. I must be crazy!!:biglaugh:

Guest Tterrier81
    Going back to uni next month to do post grad study and getting paid for it yippee!! Just wondered if anyone else has studied there and were they supportive of the more (cough) mature student he he. I must be crazy!!:biglaugh:

hi my mrs (she's 29) has just completed 4 yrs at flinders uni doing nursing, she absolutely loved it, she never had a problem with any of the lecturers or any of the other students, i know a few people who have studied there and all i heard is good things

Guest woolmerdj

Hi Claire

I did my post grad Mental health Nursing at Flinders in 2009 and did it as an external student. I only had to do 1 of the 6 topics, as i was already qualified as a RGN/RSCN and child mental Health Nurse, but as to fit-in here i did as I was asked. I was very lucky as I received commonwealth Sponsorship, so didn't have to pay. This is the first time I have studied externally, and as I only did 1 topic it was alright. Once I had adapted to the external system it was ok, but I had little contact from the tutors, which I thought was a shame. If you need books dont use the uni shop as you may wait for ages. I got mine from The book Depository in the uk, which was cheaper and free delivery. Good luck jane

Hi Claire

I did my post grad Mental health Nursing at Flinders in 2009 and did it as an external student. I only had to do 1 of the 6 topics, as i was already qualified as a RGN/RSCN and child mental Health Nurse, but as to fit-in here i did as I was asked. I was very lucky as I received commonwealth Sponsorship, so didn't have to pay. This is the first time I have studied externally, and as I only did 1 topic it was alright. Once I had adapted to the external system it was ok, but I had little contact from the tutors, which I thought was a shame. If you need books dont use the uni shop as you may wait for ages. I got mine from The book Depository in the uk, which was cheaper and free delivery. Good luck jane

hi jane its the grad dip in mental health i will be doing. I was intending to do one unit internally and rest external, but i can change up til 10th march i think, do you think internal will be better then, will be doing 3 units this semester. Thanks for the heads up on the books they arent cheap here are they!!

Guest woolmerdj

Hi Claire

I expect it depends on your circumstances and learning needs. I did the course because i wanted to stay in CAMHS and I already had experience of Mental Health Nursing and CAMHS work, so it was just a matter of learning more about adult mental health, plus I was working in a mental health ward and had external support and supervision. External learning requires a great deal of motivation and there is obviously a lot less support. Most of the tutorials are emailed to you and you are expected to partake in an online discussion with other nurses from all over australia and this is part of your final marks. I expect starting as an internal student will mean you can meet other students and then keep in touch with them as an external student. Being external is more isolating, but it does depend on your personal circumstances, as attending uni once a week takes you away from doing the clinical hours required. Make sure you get some clinical supervision and keep in touch with your course tutor, who will help you with your assignments and clinical assessment. I am happy to talk to you if you want to PM me and I will give you my phone number.jane

Hi jane that would be fantastic ive got a post through central and northern mental health rotation, will involve a bit of juggling with hours etc but i should be ok. I might do it all internally then as it might be easier and flinders isnt that far to travel from my house. Yes pm me your number would be great to have a chat cheers hun x