JimandBarbinAus

Pay as you go sim cards???

Hi All,

I was wondering if you can purchase an aussie SIM card whilst in the UK as I was wanting to tick off another job on our to do list. Am I right in thinking you can use a UK mobile in Australia that has previously been on a contract?

Hope you can help

Guest Mitchell

Hiya. Yes you can use any UK mobile over here but you need to phone your provider and get it unlocked before you cancel your contract. That way it's free. If you cancel first then try to unlock you'll have to pay up to £25. PAYG sims can be picked up everywhere like Coles or Woolworths supermarkets and in news agents. I contacted vodaphone from the UK to enquire about getting one before I left the UK but they said just buy when you here. I paid $17 for one with $15 credit on and even with calls, texts and data (I have an iPhone) it lasted 3 weeks until I chose a contract.

Guest Mitchell

I text a lot to my friends and family and then there's Facebook of course. I took my camera for a walk round a few times and uploaded the pics to Facebook so mum feels involved. Skype to video chat is vital! I brought a cheap web cam with headset in tescos for £20 thats small and fits in the laptop bag. I'm now swapping to buying skype credit and phoning people from my iPhone (at home over wifi) using the skype app as this is cheaper than the international package on my home phone.

Guest ReadyPenny

If you choose a contract, we are with 3, who are (as far as Im aware) the only provider that lets you use your included minutes of the contract to ring international numbers. We pay $49 per month and get $350 to use to any mobile or landline anywhere in the world (it is pricey at $2.20 per minute), we also get 300 minutes to ring any 3 or vodafone numbers and 250 gb data allowance. Although the $2.20 sounds a bit steep, we find that most of the people we ring are 3 or vodafone so we basically use the whole $350 per month contacting rellies in UK that only use mobiles.

If you choose PAYG then Lebara has the cheapest call rates to UK at 19c per minute, but there is a connection (flag fall) charge of 0.75c for each call. If you buy a $30 top up, it only gives you $30 but it is by far the cheapest mobile to mobile calling rate on PAYG. We have a Lebara sim so that if we are up to our monthly allowance on the contract plan, we just top up the Lebara to stay in touch.

As most our family now have Iphones we use the VOIP apps to make calls mobile to mobile using the internet like Skype, Viber, Tango etc etc.

Hope this helps

Mandy

Guest Murphy642

Having just moved here make sure that you don't get fobbed off by your phone provider and ensure that your phone is unlocked before you get here - unlike us!!!. You can buy a $2 sim and get a pay as you go package - bargain Vodafone $35 a month including international calls and no contract.....

Guest Mitchell
    Having just moved here make sure that you don't get fobbed off by your phone provider and ensure that your phone is unlocked before you get here - unlike us!!!. You can buy a $2 sim and get a pay as you go package - bargain Vodafone $35 a month including international calls and no contract.....

I got a text saying mine had been unlocked. I was with O2. I assume the others do the same. Mention you're emigrating first and they won't try to get you to stay and are happier to help.

Guest Fluterby

Hi Im on optus pay as you go. Its abit like the T mobile flex where you top up an amount ie $50 and recieve $400 worth of credit. It costs around $1.35 a min to phone a UK mobile plus a connection charge of a bout $1 per call. You also recieve a large amount of credit to use to other optus users and an internet allowance. I got my phone unlocked in the UK it was on T Mobile. No probs since being here.

David

hi all... I'm on a contract with 3 - as ReadyPenny said, they let you use your cap (like your minutes allowance in UK) to call internationally. They also have an add on called 'Talk International' - for $5 extra per month you get 100 minutes to a UK landline. So I use Skype for most people but those 100 minutes lets me have a fortnightly catch up with my Dad and my Grandma, both who don't use computers! Skype is definitely the way for everyone else though! :)

It may have been overtaken by more recent technology, but in the (nearly) 7 years we've been here, I've always used a phone card to call back to the UK from a landline. Used to use it from a payphone before we had our own landline. I get mine from Aussie Phone cards (will find a link in a minute) and you call a local number, enter a pin code (or have it 'mapped' to your landline if you always use the same one to call from) and then get thousands of minutes chat for about $30.

My parents are on a scheme in the UK where they get free international calls at weekend - so might be worth suggesting that for those rellies you'e leaving behind too.

Think this is the starting point for buying your initial phone card - you can do it online and top up online as well so could probably do from the UK: Australia Phone Cards- Find the Cheapest Phonecards in Australia

The one we use is about 1.5c per minute to a UK landline - so 2000 minutes of chat for $30.