Bad Education system??

Guest deanrm

Hi All

I don't want to upset anyone with this query but really want to know people's opinion about the education system in Austrailia.

I know its different to UK (ie starting at later age ect) and from what I have read I believe the focus to be more on Child Initated learning than it is in UK.

Well, I have just been to Parents Evening and the Deputy Head asked us how our application was coming on ect. and then told us how concercerned she was because our daughter is so bright and that we need to 'watch' her in 'that' education system. Aaaarrgghh!

Well I did not ask her to explain because did not want to give her the satisfaction of telling us anymore!!

I would be really gratful to know what your findings and opinions are??

Trisha

Hi Trisha,

I wouldn't worry. I reckon that she is upset that a bright pupil from her school is leaving and so it lessens their overall chance of meeting government targets. There is nothing wrong with the education available in Adelaide indeed quite the reverse from everything I've read.;)

Pete

I know some people who are very unhappy with the system and feel it is not doing the best for their child, that it is far behind UK and failing their child.

I have a 5 and 6 year old and am very happy, my 6 year old has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of acedemic learning, behaviour and confidence since we arrived 3 short months ago. I am so proud of him. Not sure I like the system of starting late and throwing them in - in my opinion reception here is like year 1 at home, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that my 5 year old is not dealing with it well at all.

I think the respect they learn for each other, the world around them that they learn about and the self confidence they build gives them a great start in the world of eduction, wheras in the UK it appeared to be all acedemic focus.

My children are young, so as yet I can't comment on older age education, but that is my 2c worth!

The only thing I am really not sure of is the apparent lack of curriculum and therefore variance in standards between schools.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I have just read you post and presume you went to parents night for your 3 yr old. My 2 went to a state run nursery in the uk, years ago as they are now 18 &15. We had parents night there too. Ridiculous if you think about it, the kids are 3 no one should really be saying how bright they are or not in a school situation, IMHO. I hear a lot of parents here say their child is bored because they are in front of the kids they are joining, that is probably the case, but they will have missed the social skills, confidence learning that Oz kids do when they start school. My son had done his gcses in the uk and got As for most of his subjects, however when he got here he struggled for a few weeks, because he was behind! So IMHO the kids that get here younger will most likely be in front as the older ones may most likely be behind, which goes to show they catch up at a fast rate on any "education" they would have got in the early years in the UK. Having met many Oz teenagers, I can tell you they are far nicer, polite, considerate and confident than their UK counterparts.

hope this helps

sarah

I so agree with you Sarah. I've worked with a few aussie teenagers here and have enjoyed their conversations and ability to express themselves.

As for "Bright" kids in primary school. I can only speak for Hallett Cove South as I had this conversation with the Head there. The school has a learning programme where gifted and talented kids are extended in the core subjects to match their capabilities. This also applies to children who have learning difficuties too.

I know its hard not to worry about your childs education, I did when I first got here, but Aussie kids seem just as well educated as U.K kids, yes the system starts later here, but research has shown its better for children, especially boys, to be formally taught at an older age than what they do in the U.K.

Judi x

Guest muppetbro

if anyone would like objective advice re the education system please feel free to pm us

me and the mrs have covered ages 4 - 16 for a combined 33 years in the uk and albet for a mere 6/7 weeks been working in various schools around adelaide since our arrival on contract/relief teaching......

im not prepared to post my professional opinions on a forum as this is a serious matter and one in which english teachers are qualified to makecomment/opinion upon......

yep me serious for once and i dont like doin that :GEEK:

ciao

Hi Trisha,

I like yourself, have yet to get to the final step of getting my visa and finally getting over, but I feel that the kids are young enough to adapt, (a lot better than most adults), they are like little sponges. My kids are 9 & 6 both are bright, particularly my 9 year old, he did say that he didn't want to be put back a year because of the differences in age and school year etc..... my response was that I think it would be a great idea because he would find the school work a little easier and not have to get himself upset over that, which then leaves him more time to play and fit in and get to know how everything works and make friends.

It is important to get the school right for ease of transition for the kids and peace of mind for us adults.

I'm sure they will be fine!

But, do have a good look around and do your HOMEWORK first.

Good Luck

Hi All

Firstly thanks for all you comments, have had chance to calm down now.

My daughter is 4 (August baby) and has only had half a term at school. I suppose I am worried because both of them are at a very good school here. We had to appeal to get them both in, but just like in the Uk I guess schools differ alot.

Thanks again, and trust me, we will be doing lots of research on the subject when we get there.

Thanks again

Trisha

Guest dglamoore

Hi Trisha

From my experience I only have good things to say about the education system for little ones. Dawn was at nursery for one year and a term in the uk which she enjoyed and was due to start in the uk full time last January. We chose to keep her at nursery as we were leaving to move here in April and knew she would be at kindy here for a while.

When she started kindy here I noticed a huge difference compared to the uk - rather than just learning through play they actively encourage the child to think for themselves and problem solve. Any disputes are talked through by the children themselves rather than a teacher stepping in and we noticed that Dawn became much more aware of other peoples feelings and how what she did effected them so social skills start early here along with manners :o

Since starting school full time she is coming along well and has gained a lot of confidence along with being more respectful. They definitely make learning fun so she looks forward to her lessons. She is very bright and soaks info like a sponge and is always asking things but this seems to be encouraged as learning here is more relaxed. Cannot compare that to the uk as no experience but from my point of view Dawn is thriving, learning and loves going to school so that is good enough for me :wubclub:

Just visit some when you get here and see for yourself - you will know by walking around the school yourself what it will be like. The thing that impressed us a lot was the facilites and the fact that the headmistress knew every student by name and stopped to chat to them along the way :v_SPIN:

Lisa :)

I have two school age girls, Tori is a member here and posts on the kids forum.

We've only been in Oz for 3 years and in Adelaide for almost 1 year (hubby is military so we don't have a say in where we live, we spent the first 2 years here in QLD), Cheyenne will be 8 in April and because of the school starting age she did year 1 in QLD, when we moved down here to Adelaide we found she would be in year 1 again (she starts year 2 in January) had we not moved to Oz she would've just started year 3 in September.

Tori will turn 16 in January, she had just started year 8 in UK but found she would be in year 7 here but she didn't mind that as it made her look really bright, she will start year 11 this coming January.

On a different but school related subject, school children here do NOT get a TB jab, Tori was due to have it in UK the term after we left UK, she hasn't had it as it's not given here. She has however just had the third of the 3 jabs for cervical cancer which I believe is not yet given in UK, this jab is free for women under 26 so our eldest daughter (20) has also had it.

Tori goes to Ross Smith High School in Enfield/Northfield (it borders both suburbs) and they just won small schools catagory awards in the Rock Eisteddfod, this was the first time Tori had taken part in this competition and was excited her school won, she (and everyone else involved) put in many hours of practice at school during lunch times and after school.

This can be a very emotive subject with many different, perfectly valid, opinions.

It seems to me that a lot can depend on where you live, what catchment area your children will fall into and how far they are willing to travel to attend the school of their choice.

My daughter was at a good grammar school before we came over. She was doing well, but pretty unexcited with the work. She went back to year 7, which worked well as it gave her some time at primary school (as well as getting to graduate!). The primary school she (and my son) attended have a programme for Students of High Intellectual Potential (SHIP). Whilst I don't have the experience to generalise, I know the programme's been around a fair while and isn't unique to that school.

High school kids may be eligible for the Ignite programme, which is pretty much a continuation of SHIP. Three schools in Adelaide offer Ignite, and I -and more importantly, my daughter - have been very impressed with the school's flexible approach to her study. She has really enjoyed her two years in high school here. Year 10 Ignite students may study yr 11 subjects (and yr11's; yr12), if that's what they need to stay interested and focused.

Schooling was an absolute priority when we came over, and the first thing we looked into. I know there are schools that I would not want my kids to go to, just as there were in the UK. I don't believe things are so different here; there are good and bad schools, 'nice' and less desirable areas. Sweeping statements are just not helpful IMHO.

I'm really impressed and grateful for the education my children are receiving - even compared with the 'good' schools they would have attended if we were still in the UK. And my kids wouldn't go back.

LC

Oh and yes, both are state schools.:)

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We came to Australia because we believed that it offered us and our children, most crucially, a better way of life.

I have met and worked with a number of Australians while in the UK and none of them ever came across as a illiterate moron with few job prospects.:wacko:

There are good and bad things about all schools, wherever they are. The education system here is different.

Private schools are more accessible as you would expect in a country where the class system has essentially been broken down. Going private is of course an option but that doesn't mean that the teachers and standards are any better.

State schools are accessible to the masses, kids of all walks of life mixing together and hopefully coming out at the other end with a little bit of common sense and the necessary skills to earn a living.

Can Aussie kids do that? Yes.

Are the schools the same as in England? No.

Why not? Because Ozzie schools are in Oz and UK schools are in UK.

Teaching here has a different focus. Instead of it being all targets, targets, numbers and grades/ levels, the kids do matter. They are more relaxed, sociable and grounded. By the time the kids get to year 8/9, the work is similar to that of the UK. The standards vary from school to school.

DON'T SHOOT ME NOW but as a teacher I have worked in both private and state schools during the last 4 months. I have chosen to send my daughters, my raison d'etre, to state schools here that have good reputations but which more conveniently happen to be the catchment (zoned) schools for where we live. They are 14 and 11 and are doing fine. They have made friends, doing well at school, doing homework, being set work in some subjects which they find easier than in others, having to research things etc.;)

Pm me if you want more info.

By the way, I am a secondary school teacher and hubbie is a primary school teacher. We have seen both worked private and state schools since our arrival.

Libby

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi

We came to Australia because we believed that it offered us and our children, most crucially, a better way of life.

I have met and worked with a number of Australians while in the UK and none of them ever came across as a illiterate moron with few job prospects.:wacko:

There are good and bad things about all schools, wherever they are. The education system here is different.

Private schools are more accessible as you would expect in a country where the class system has essentially been broken down. Going private is of course an option but that doesn't mean that the teachers and standards are any better.

State schools are accessible to the masses, kids of all walks of life mixing together and hopefully coming out at the other end with a little bit of common sense and the necessary skills to earn a living.

Can Aussie kids do that? Yes.

Are the schools the same as in England? No.

Why not? Because Ozzie schools are in Oz and UK schools are in UK.

Teaching here has a different focus. Instead of it being all targets, targets, numbers and grades/ levels, the kids do matter. They are more relaxed, sociable and grounded. By the time the kids get to year 8/9, the work is similar to that of the UK. The standards vary from school to school.

DON'T SHOOT ME NOW but as a teacher I have worked in both private and state schools during the last 4 months. I have chosen to send my daughters, my raison d'etre, to state schools here that have good reputations but which more conveniently happen to be the catchment (zoned) schools for where we live. They are 14 and 11 and are doing fine. They have made friends, doing well at school, doing homework, being set work in some subjects which they find easier than in others, having to research things etc.;)

Pm me if you want more info.

By the way, I am a secondary school teacher and hubbie is a primary school teacher. We have seen both worked private and state schools since our arrival.

Libby

:notworthy::notworthy:Totally agree with you Libby

Hi. Not sure if this message goes to Foxychick or everyone. I have a five year old who did half a year in Reception and a half-term of Year 1 in the UK. I took her out of school at October half-term as we sold our house in London and I've had to move into my mother-in-laws in Ireland until we leave for Adelaide in January. She is due to start at Scotch College in Torrens Park in February. I am an English teacher so I am spending 2 - 3 hours a day teaching her the basics so it remains fresh in her mind. The school wanted to put her into Reception but I decided to keep her in Year 1. I started school in the Flinders Ranges at 4 and, apart from knowing I was the youngest in the class, I didn't have any real problems. She was so excited about starting Year 1, I didn't want her going backwards. I have no issues with her academic abilities and feel she is doing everything a 5 and a half year old girl should. Based on the limited background information I have provided, do you think keeping her in Year 1 was the right thing to do? Thanks.

Tracey

Hi. Not sure if this message goes to Foxychick or everyone. I have a five year old who did half a year in Reception and a half-term of Year 1 in the UK. I took her out of school at October half-term as we sold our house in London and I've had to move into my mother-in-laws in Ireland until we leave for Adelaide in January. She is due to start at Scotch College in Torrens Park in February. I am an English teacher so I am spending 2 - 3 hours a day teaching her the basics so it remains fresh in her mind. The school wanted to put her into Reception but I decided to keep her in Year 1. I started school in the Flinders Ranges at 4 and, apart from knowing I was the youngest in the class, I didn't have any real problems. She was so excited about starting Year 1, I didn't want her going backwards. I have no issues with her academic abilities and feel she is doing everything a 5 and a half year old girl should. Based on the limited background information I have provided, do you think keeping her in Year 1 was the right thing to do? Thanks.

Tracey

I would say keeping her in year 1 is the right thing to do, if she is at the work level she won't have any problems, the kids all just accept each other.

i went to high school adelaide (Pulteney Grammar) and before that state schools in Vic

obviously i know people that went to state and private (girls, boys and mixed) in adelaide

i believe that the general standard is good - there are some state schools with a high reputation - unley, marryatville, norwood, glenunga, mitcham girls and some that are not

i used to also play sport against many of those 'other' schools and you get to know them very well and competition (not targets) does seem to drive us physically and academically further

one things that SA does suffer from is poor retention in some parts with kids leaving early - although this is not a problem if people are moving to apprenticiships

my own personal view is that adelaide has generally good schools and while i am sure some people will regale us with horror stories i bet that is no different to the UK

by the way, i live next to a school in south london (for past 6years) and will be it interesting to see if schools back home are 'tamer'

• 1 month later...

Hi Sarah, Interested to here from someone with nearly same age kids as us, we have two boys soon to be 15 and 17.WSould you say your big kids have settled well with all the changes and are they enjoying schooling in Adelaide. Our 17 year old is sitting 5 highers in May/June normaly he would take two years to do this but due to us moving over to the sunny side :Dhe will be completing in one year. However from what i can gather from your post there may be an opportunity for him to continue schooling?The 15 year old has not reached the Exam stage just yet and from what i can gather is probably moving at a good time last couple of years to gain a qualification ?i don't expect him to stay at school any longer than he has to as he doesn't enjoy it at all!!

Here's hoping the change will do him good TAFE sounds like a good option for him as he would like to do joinery.Do you know what age they can start these courses i'm sure i read somewhere that in specific states young people can leave school at 15yrs.

Any infomation would be greatly appreciated costings etc,we have looked at lots of different areas but not decided on anything as yet still waiting on medicals being sent off !!

Thank-you in advance Karen

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Lisa

I'm new to PIA just waiting to have Police checks and meds done. Having just read your message to Trisha ref schooling please could you let me know which school your children are attending we have 2 children Charlotte 6yrs 7 in July 08 and Jack 2yrs 3 in Dec 08 hopefully arrive in Adelaide visa permitting Apr/May 08. I know we have to get a feel for the school and its a personal choice thing but I would like to be able to start looking at web sites and get some idea of where we would need to be living and looking for work in relation to the children being at a school where they feel happy and we are happy with the education being taught.

Thanks Sharon and Paul

Guest Libby1971

Hi

The UH has just started a new job and says that this school is the closest he has found in Australia to the UK style schools.

He is impressed, which takes some doing.

Pm if you want the name - are we allowed to give them publically over the forum?

Libby

hello this is probably a web site that would interest you http://www.australiantechnicalcolleges.gov.au/School_Based_Apps_Train.htm

there is a college in christies that opened two years ago and seems to be doing well, i think the government in sa have realised that not all children want to go to uni and that there is a shortage of skilled manual labour.