Diane

Do they think we're stupid?

Is it me??

Foodland selling Tetleys All Rounder Tea Bags. Box of 100 is $3.89. Right next to it is a box of 150 - proudly emblazened in bright red "50% Extra, FREE!!"

Picked up box, took it to cash register - price comes up .....$4.49!

Hmmm, whole new definition of "Free" in my books. Checkout girl wasn't at all fazed when I tried to get it for $3.89 - no go! $4.49 is the price.

Do they think we're stupid?

Guest moonraker1959

I probably would of asked to see the store manager Diane,and asked him to explain!My pet hate at the moment is the amount of advertisements on tv for sofa's!Unbelievable!And whats more unbelievable is the fact that they'll announce say a certain sofa was £1,200,now down to £599,so it looks like the buyer will be saving loads.Surely these sofa stores are ripping people off to begin with if they can then drop the price that much?hmmmm!lol

Sadly, Di, they do...............

I have been "trained" by the OH to not look at the ticket price, and to ignore the "extra free" lark.............i now check the $per 100g,litre or whatever price thats written in tiny letters at the bottom of the label!!!

No amount of arguing the toss works with some store people, even saw one english guy take the superviser to the freezer to explain the price difference to her........a few ozzies shook their heads; but i was so pleased that 1 person took it on themselves to point out that pricing and advertising didnt tally, and he told her he didnt want the item thanks!!

Guest Mitchell

Well no-one can say Oz is behind the UK on this one lol. Watchdog took the big supermarkets to task over this not long before I left. I too ALWAYS check the per unit price so you know what you're buying. Caveat emptor! Let the buyer beware.

Guest Mitchell

BTW I think watchdog research found that most shoppers are that stupid lol

Well... in honesty they're probably right! I did check the "per 100g" price and the bigger box was still cheaper - but that doesn't work for everything. I once bought a big pack of toilet rolls solely on the basis of which was cheapest "per sheet" and you should have heard the abuse I go from the end users!

Guest Guest5035
    and you should have heard the abuse I go from the end users!

its no suprise as they probably spent heaps of time using hand soap and a nail cleaner:err:

stevo

I know, I know, there are some economies that you just don't make! That'll teach OH to moan about my shopping bills though :biglaugh::biglaugh: