Guest Janine,Mark&Ollie

Our journey

Guest Janine,Mark&Ollie

I know I should have done this before but have been a bit busy what with moving to Australia and xmas and all! I want to share our journey and some thoughts with you.

We arrived here at the end of August. As we got ready to leave England I started to worry that with all the years of planning and hoping, I had built Adelaide up to proportions that it couldn't possibly live up to, but as we drove from the airport, getting lost by the way ( the road signs take some getting used to),it didn't disappoint.

We stayed at Kingsdon caravan park at Brighton right on the beach, although we had a lot of work to do I wanted my son to feel it was a holiday. We call the day we arrived 'the lost saturday' due to jet lag, but on the sunday we walked down the beach in the sunshine to Jetty Road, had lunch and walked back paddling in the sea and we thought this is why we came. its perfect!

We got a car straight away but were shocked to find anything to do with cars is very expensive.

We were lucky and got a rental in Hallett Cove after a week. It is a lovely place, close to the city,hills and beaches with rail stop and mall.

My hsband has got a job with serco (who he worked for in England) at the new immigration detention center at Woodside. It is very different for Oliver (he's 10) there are no children in the immediate area so he's lost his independance of going out to playlike he did in England, it all seems to be play dates which is ok but you have to get to know the parents first. He's done one term at school and loves it although he was a bit shocked to find out he had to go into yr 4 when he was just about to start yr6 in England. He did have some trouble with some boys at first, but when we spoke to the teacher who then had a word with them they were genuinely suprised and sorry that they had upset him. I think aussie kids of the same age are younger but made of tougher stuff whereas Oliver is quite sensetive. Now they are all friends and include him in everything, so he is looking forward to the new school year.

In England I was a teaching assistant, i m job hunting at the moment but i think there are alot of us about. I will be happier when I can get back out to work and make friends.

It is very true when they say Australians are so friendly, helpful and welcoming. Our first aussie friend was the lady at the bank where we went in our first days to sort out our money, we mentioned we were going to buy a fridge and all the staff would tell us the best places to shop! When ever we needed info we would always go to the bank and they would be happy to oblige. We now get together quite often. They are truly wondeful people.

My only disappiontment and I hope you won't be offended is the attitude of the English. Naively I thought when we arrived the English would welcome us with open arms as they new what it was like to be in a new country on your own, but not so!The Australian attitude when they discover you've moved here is, wow! how brave is there anything we can do to help?The English attitude is, so! we had to do it on our own, we've made our own friends, your on your own! It makes me feel a bit lonely and cast out by my own people.

We absolutely love it here and have settled very quickly, partly luck but mostly due to the research we did before we came. Were working for the boat and water sports now!

This is all a precursor, by the way, to being able to ask some of the still unanswered questions such as, can I get Alpen here? Is ther any dog grooming parlour that is prepared to strip my border terrier? and what exactly does one do on Australia Day?

In England I was a teaching assistant, i m job hunting at the moment but i think there are alot of us about.

Glad to hear things are going well :) I'm sure in time everything that hasn't quite fallen into place will gradually work itself out.

With regard to the teaching assistant aspect. My MIL is a teacher and says that jobs as a teaching assistant (they have a different title I forget the name of in Oz) are few and far between. I was thinking of perhaps trying to find a position here in the UK to help for when we move back. She said that it probably won't make much difference as the best way to get your foot in the door over there is to volunteer at the school first. In her experience (over 20 years teaching) she says that most people start off doing this and are then offered a post (or asked to apply for it if they wish) off the back of this. Jobs of course come up just being advertised but the amount of people who apply is a lot she said.

And with regard to Brits not being overly friendly, I'm all for going native and embracing the way of life so would carry on getting to know the Aussies if they are the ones who are welcoming you more. I am sure you'll meet some Brits who will be more welcoming toward you. There are some great people on here and some have become good friends thanks to this forum it would seem. But don't worry about it overly, don't let it get you down.

Alpen - I don't recall that specific brand as being sold there. You can buy it on the UK import shops online/ for an extortionate price. I eat muesli and love Alpen and had to eat the equivalent of sawdust when we were last over. The Aussie brands I tried didn't stack up. Still, I found a totally different cereal that I did like and all was good. I'd investigate making your own (some great home made recipes for it online).

Guest kangomik

Well done on settling in so quickly, that is the hardest part i think.

Making friends takes time, and not all the poms are like that. honestly.

Australia day, find a local park take some chairs, food and a ball or something to play with, sit down relax, roast for a good 6 hours and the day should be done to perfection.

Great post with some interesting points. For muesli similar to Alpen, have you tried the grain place near to Adelaide Central Markets? I can't think of the name at the moment, but if you find the stall that sells just mushrooms, and take the little side turning near to there (going past the Kangaroo meat stall) it's down there! Sells all sorts of mueslis and hundred of other things loose. You just buy as much or as little as you want/need. They have several different types of muesli, so it might be a matter of just seeing which looks most similar and giving it a try.

Good luck!

Diane

xx

Guest m.jephcott

I'm sure I have seen alpen on sale in the "english" section at coles in aberfoyle park, very expensive though and I'm not sure they always stock it.

Guest Nicky&Andy

im pretty sure foodland sell alpen,

great post though, sounds like you are setteling in well, as some one else said not all english are the same, i like to think were approachable , you do feel abit on your own when you arrive and its not easy to make friends like the ones you left behind, i guess it all takes time, were very happy but weve had alot of rocky boulder type moments lol

Great Post glad you have settled in, we aint all unapproachable :P but yes you are right it does take time to find true friends. I find personally that most are all my best friends when they want something doing on there car on the cheap lol and then you dont hear off them till it needs fixing again.:jiggy:

It does take time but well worth it :D

Guest Nicky&Andy

hi mick, see, you heard from me before my next car repair lol ,seriously though it was great to meet you, nice of damien to recomend you too,

great job on the car though, thanks for the repairs (bonnet cable)

Guest kas17

you can buy Alpen in both Woolworths and Coles in their Brotish section, its at least $9 a packet so only a treat in this house

Guest guest3462

last year they had an offer on alpen in coles for $3 a box, I can remember buying about 6 boxes and hoarding them lol!!! But defo go there and treat yourself to a box! You deserve it!

This year for Aussie day we are heading to old noarlunga reserve for a picnic, and taking the fishing rods and kayak for a day on the river......weather forecast not perfect but looking like a lovely day! Enjoy whatever you decide to go for. x

Guest Janine,Mark&Ollie

Thank you all so much for your helpful and kind replies. Thats why the English thing caught me out a bit because you're all so kind on here! (And thanks for reading through the whole thing!):notworthy: