Hutchy

Amazon

Both my boys received Amazon vouchers for Christmas from family in England. But, after finding something they want, find out they do not ship to Australia. Has anyone else managed to buy from them, and if so, how. Cheers

They definitely do ship here - I've both bought and been sent stuff by Amazon. Are you looking at the UK site or the US one?

Mostly they'll only ship media, so DVDs and CDs. That's from the US - don't waste time with UK site. I have ordered successfully from the US store, but if you are getting DVDs then you'll need a multi region player. Or maybe you could buy downloads if they want iPod music etc?

Also I think some items like watches etc are able to be shipped, but generally, if it's bulky then it ain't going to get here xxx

yeah had the same issue they will only ship certain things to Oz and it's only when you get to the checkout that you find out really annoying bu once you know you don't use the UK site as it's hard to get stuff here. Could you get it sent to the people who gave you the voucher or family and then get them to forward it on if it's not too expensive?

Guest Martin and Val

We have recently purchased from Amazon without any issues. The product was shipped from the USA and arrived here very promptly.

Good luck

Martin

Yes I find sometimes I want things from Amazon (and weirdly even odd things from M&S sometimes) that they won't ship to Australia. BUt with Amazon you can just use a different delivery address and get it shipped there for free (usually there's a supersaver delivery option) and your friends / family can send it on to you. I do that a lot. With M&S I can place a whole order and for some reason it will choose to say it won't send a particular pair of trousers, or pack of pyjamas to this delivery address. Haven't the foggiest why!!!!!! Doesn't bother me, my mum just has to send that stuff on and M&S don#'t seem to charge me any more postage.

Toys and electrical are definitely the ones that Amazon won't send out of the EU. But I think I also might have found similar with the Amazon US site too.. can't remember. No drama though if you have a friendly postbox friend!

Oh and on the subject of books - don't forget www.bookdepository.co.uk because their prices are competitive, you can pay in UK, US or AUS currencies (choose the best price for the item!) and they post worldwide for free. So although Amazon sell a wider variety, if it's just books you are after, always check book depository.

Thanks for all your help, my boys have realised that some of the manufacturers Amazon use are only domestic deliverers, so now they are looking at international deliverers, hopefully that will sort out their problem. XX

Oh and on the subject of books - don't forget www.bookdepository.co.uk because their prices are competitive, you can pay in UK, US or AUS currencies (choose the best price for the item!) and they post worldwide for free. So although Amazon sell a wider variety, if it's just books you are after, always check book depository.

Just a question for you Sally, if you are reading this. If you pay in UK or US currencies, can you just use your Australian credit card, and take whatever the exchange rate is, and is the postage still free to Australia?

I've bought quite a few books from Book Depository, but always use Australian dollars. I have found that www.bookdepository.com is usually a bit cheaper than the UK one, and it still comes from the UK, but you are using the site for the US.

Oh, and usually Book Depository is cheaper than Amazon, when you take postage into account.

I think all book depository books come from the UK anyway... but might be wrong! No you never get charged postage whichever currency you pay in. I tend to match currency to card, so if I want to pay in AUS will use my NAB card and if I want to pay in UK, I'll use NAtwest. If I was to pay in US dollars for any reason I suppose I'd use NAB...

Much of a muchness really though isn't it, it's still FAR cheaper than walking into an Australian bookshop!!!!! :)

I don't think book depository are amazingly quick at delivery but it doesn't normally bother me. Amazon definitely quicker but if it's free.......