Guest Rachel Abram

Book Keeping Jobs

Guest Rachel Abram

Can anyone advise on the amount of book-keeping work in Adelaide?

There are often a few adverts in the jobs paper on Saturday. A lot of finance work is often incorporated into an admin role over here. You would also need MYOB skills as it is a very popular package here.

Guest Rachel Abram

Hi Jessica. Thanks for that. I have heard MYOB mentioned before - is this a computer accounts program? like sage?

Yes, MYOB (Mind Your Own Business!!) is an accounting and payroll package and is definitely the most widely used package in Australia. See the link below.

MYOB | Accounting Software | Bookeeping Software | Training | Business Software

I work as a Business Trainer and Assessor and we have a lot of students coming to us to learn MYOB to gain employment or they are sent by their employers to gain the skills/qualification.

There are new regulations about bookkeeping which came in last year (check the ATO website) and if any jobs mention doing the BAS (Business Activity Statements) you will need to be a registered BAS Agent.:arghh:

Even some bookkeeping jobs will also need to be a BAS Agent or at least have Certificate IV in Financial Services (Bookkeeping or Accounting) which actually includes MYOB training which is available to do at TAFE.:)

Regards

Sandra

I do the monthly BAS where I work and remember panicking about that ATO stuff last year - rang them up though and it isn't as bad as it sounds. Can't remember what they said, but long and short of it was, it doesn't apply if you're employed by the company you're doing the BAS for I think. Only if you're offering to do it for another company...or something like that! They were actually quite helpful on the phone, so any doubts, give them a ring.

Hi Rachel

Thought I would post some of the book-keeping/admin/accounts jobs that were in todays job paper. There were a few more accounts jobs as well which I did not scan.

Hope it gives you some idea of what is out there.

I do the monthly BAS where I work and remember panicking about that ATO stuff last year - rang them up though and it isn't as bad as it sounds. Can't remember what they said, but long and short of it was, it doesn't apply if you're employed by the company you're doing the BAS for I think. Only if you're offering to do it for another company...or something like that! They were actually quite helpful on the phone, so any doubts, give them a ring.

Hi Diane

Do you submit the BAS to the accountant or work under the accountant, just because I am doing certificate IV and several of the people doing th course are employed by a companies and doing this course because of the new regulations. I dont think its as easy as just being employed by company.

There even was lady who doesnt even do bookkeeping there, but employs bookkeepers to do her clients had to do the course. The regulations are really complicated but there is a transitional period to become BAS Agents.

Regards

Sandra

To tell the truth Sandra I can't remember all the details of what they said when I rang them - just remember reading the regs and being unsure whether it affected me and what I do, ringing them up and getting some really good help and reassurance. We do have an accountant that does the annual tax returns though, so maybe that was the reason! Sorry, it was a while ago and once I found it didn't affect me, I just filed it mentally and got on with what I do!!!!

I just want to advise that doing the MYOB Courses, teaches how to use the software, not how to do bookkeeping. I have been amazed by some of the things that certficate IV has taught me that all the MYOB courses didnt.

Regards

Sandra

Guest Rachel Abram

Thanks Jessica - will take a look at the links. As we are only just applying for a visa and it could be a year or more before we actually make the move to Australia, I am considering studying AAT (ASSOCIATION OF ACCOUNTING TECHNICIANS). Do you know if this qualification is recognised in Australia?

Whereabouts do you live/work in Adelaide? We are trying to decide between Adelaide or Melbourne - so much to consider! My boyfriend is an electrical engineer and he is swaying more towards Adelaide as there seems to be more job opportunities there for him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and the job ads very interesting - good to see they're out there.

Thanks

Rachel

Guest Rachel Abram

Hi Sandra

As we are only just applying for a visa and it could be a year or more before we actually make the move to Australia, I am considering studying AAT (ASSOCIATION OF ACCOUNTING TECHNICIANS) before we come. Do you know if this qualification is recognised in Australia? Would I still have to do certificate IV to be a book-keeper in Australia? I have been book-keeping for years now but do not have any official qualifications. How do you become a BAS agent?

Thanks

Rachel

Guest Rachel Abram

Hi Diane

Thanks for the info. I currently work on Quickbooks so shouldn't have a problem with MYOB. Did you need to have any official qualifications for your job? I did a basic book-keeping course years ago but my only real qualification is lots of experience.

Rachel

Guest lavinia21

Hi Rachel

I was just reading your thread and I was wondering what visa you are applying for? I have qualified the AAT qualification and currently studying CIMA. I have been told that I currently dont qualify for a skilled visa, im finding it all very confusing.

Lavinia