Guest Sarah2110

Advice on School Fees - Public not Private!!

Guest Sarah2110

Hi, my children are about to start school here and I have been told that I need to pay $265 each towards stationery, computers etc is his normal? Also the school uniform seems very expensive at the school shop compared to the UK, is this normal too? Thanks Sarah.

Hi, my children are about to start school here and I have been told that I need to pay $265 each towards stationery, computers etc is his normal? Also the school uniform seems very expensive at the school shop compared to the UK, is this normal too? Thanks Sarah.

In a word - YES. Yes to normal and that actually sounds quite cheap and yes to very expensive school uniforms.

Liz

Guest shella_n

Yes and Yes - unfortuantelly. We pay about $300 a year and the school uniform dress was about $60 I think and started failling apart in a matter of weeks - the one we got from Asda last year for £5 was much better value! lol

Guest kangomik

Yes it's normal, you can source some school stuff from some shops, but the schools tend to have this area "stitched up" excuse the pun

I don't know if this applues to all schools but ours charges a fee which, although not advertised as such, is voluntary - which means they cannot legally recover the payment. Ours apparently covers access to library resources pay but can be claimed back as a charitable donation.

We have always paid but I have noticed, that as the years have gone by,many of our friends have stopped paying. I guess things are just getting harder :sad:

LC

Just thought re.the cost of uniforms, have you looked in the local op shops? It may sound gross but it can really help out if you have a dirty little tacker who continually loses or tears his uniform lol

Guest tezza

At our school in uk, we are continually being asked for hand outs, even more so now the goverment is cutting education costs. It doenst seem a lot each time but if you add them up it is. If the 300$ is all you have to pay for the year then i think that is good. we have to pay for swimming lessons, workshops, biscuit money, any trips they go on....etc etc......

Bummer about the uniforms tho. x

Guest Sarah2110

Thanks, I think I must have been quite spoilt with the uk school as we hardly paid anything. Yes, bummer about the uniform, nothing I can do abt that. But gotta love the sunshine!!

Guest tezza

How long have you been out there Sarah? Are you glad you made the move? x

Guest Sarah2110

Oh gosh, it will only be 2 weeks on friday, I am a newbie hence all the questions. Still holiday mode until my husband starts work tomorrow and kids start school monday. No regrets so far.... Are you coming over? x

Guest tezza

I bet the weather is lush? Have you got friends out there or have you just gone for it? We hope to come over, my hubby just applied for some jobs in ASC so we have got everything crossed. Sometimes i think we will ever come as it seems to good a thing to come true. We just want to do it for the kids, better quality of life etc. Are you renting? where about are you in Adelaide? We don't even know what outgoings you have, water, gas etc.

Hope you settle really well. xx

Guest The Dimmocks

I have picked up a few school dresses for my daughter from charity shops. Nothing at all wrong with them and only paid $5 for one and $2.50 for the other. $60 is way to much for a dress in my opinion and even the 2nd hand one from school was $25.

Guest Guest5035

Tax man will see you right at the end of year returns, claim for everything.

stevo

Guest kangomik

Neighbour just paid $1300, one new starter one year 12.

Just going back a few post's, you still pay extra for excurcions etc.

With the rate kids grow 2nd hand shops work well.

Tax man will see you right at the end of year returns, claim for everything.

stevo

Are you talking about the education tax rebate? Only available to people entitled to family assistance....therefore people on permanent visa's.....also you cant claim for uniform or school fees....

Guest katsmajic

You still pay for excursions & swimming etc, theyre considerably cheaper than the uk costs too, most primary school ages you can buy it all target, big w etc, all stationary/materials/laptops you can claim on your tax return. Some high school stuff can be bought at normal shops too - im certainly not buying 3 named polo tops at $30 each...and the shorts are exactly the same at big w.

Are you talking about the education tax rebate? Only available to people entitled to family assistance....therefore people on permanent visa's.....also you cant claim for uniform or school fees....

Thought I read somewhere they were going to change it to make uniform claimable too? Might have just been some sort of election promise though...

Here you are: Education Tax Refund to Apply to School Uniforms | YourKidsEd.com.au

Thought I read somewhere they were going to change it to make uniform claimable too? Might have just been some sort of election promise though...

Here you are: Education Tax Refund to Apply to School Uniforms | YourKidsEd.com.au

Oh they did bring it in did they? I do remember it being an election promise but couldn't remember which party? I stand corrected :)

Guest Guest5035
    .....also you cant claim for uniform or school fees....

depends how good your tax man is with figures.:D:D

stevo