Flood Levy

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

One of my arguments against this tax, whether its up front or not is, that after i have paid my $5 a week for the year, my total sum for the floods will be nearly $850, thats inclusive of my original donation before the levy was announced, i and other people are annoyed at the way it was handled.

stevo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to make adjustments to our budgets constantly as prices of goods & services vary month to month & if you really can't cope with a couple of dollars a week extra in tax, you really are in deep doo doo. Food, fuel & mortgage rates will all be going up in the coming months too.

Well said. I am amazed by how close to the edge (financially) lots of people live. I hate to think what will happen if interest rates go up again.

Guest Tterrier81
Correct me if i'm wrong, we didn't have a fire levy for Victoria 2 years ago did we? That was just as bad if not worse.

Stevo

maybe if julia was in charge we might have, and again i would have had no problem paying it

Correct me if i'm wrong, we didn't have a fire levy for Victoria 2 years ago did we? That was just as bad if not worse.

Stevo

No there wasn't because it wasn't neccessary, they had all the funding they needed because of a well organised state and federal government at the time Bushfire Grants (Victoria Online)

I don't think it is just about the money, I think it is the principle. I would imagine that all of us able to give, have given and I don't think it's fair to slap a levy on us now.

Australians are rightly proud of the spirit of mateship that makes us band together in a desire to help when things go wrong. We have already raised almost $185 million for the floods...and where the money came from makes interesting reading.

Our state and Federal governments have not donated the amount I believe most of us would like them to but continue to give generous amounts to overseas charities. Please don't think I begrudge international aid, just would like them to take more responsibility for their own country, their own disasters. And remember..it's our money anyway!

I truly don't think we should have an attitude that we are so lucky to be here we should suck up any decision made by the pollies. That just sounds like emotional phooey lol! Specially when you consider prior or ongoing donations, the fact that we will have to absorb increases to out insurances, food etc.

Ok. That's it!:cute:

LC

I'm sorry if I repeat much of what's been said, there was just too much to read thoroughly.

In principle I don't mind the tax perse, but what exactly is the money for ? Repairing infrastructure ? Should governments and councils be saving some of their revenue for such a incident. This isn't a one off, they talk about the 1974 floods, and since I've been here parts of Queensland and NSW flood every year. I know this was a pretty bad flood, but they do know there is a risk to where they build and a flood like this will come along at some point.

If the money is used to rebuild peoples homes who lost everything in the flood, then it is certainly very noble we help them out as much as we can, but how ? Do we rebuild there home as it was before in the same location, wouldn't that be stupid knowing it could happen again ? and should someone be entitled to a free house along the river ? and if we do rebuild as it was before, their insurance premiums will be astronomical as to pay for a full rebuild of their home every 50 years. Or should be just rebuild again and again every time it happens.

If Brisbane didn't flood, would there be a levy at all ? Do any of the pollies care about the flood victims of Wagga Wagga or Rockhampton, because the news became very intense as it hit Brisbane as if all the other people no longer counted.

I guess I don't mind the levy, I would just want the money to be spent sensibly, but there has never been a government (especially a labour government) who could guarantee this. You also know the tax would remain in some form, as does the emergency services levy and the Murray river levy.

Guest Guest5035
No there wasn't because it wasn't neccessary, they had all the funding they needed because of a well organised state and federal government at the time

thought so.

stevo

We all feel the loss pain and suffering of all those effected.

It's nice to see the labour government are the same here as they back in the UK.

They love to spend they love to tax and they like to be thought of as the social voice. Well maybe someone needs to tell them, life on less than 70k a year is not a cash strapped one.

Why do they not scrap the projects and pull the money from wasteful labour spin related things, that we could all do without.

Rant over, let's ban fishing instead..

That's another joke...

So Julia wants to get it through Parliament ,but she needs the help of the 3 Independants, who want it to be a permanent levy....

stevo

And thats one of the main reasons i'm against it. It will be a temporary flood levy until the cash is then accounted for in budgetary purposes, then they will just forget to remove it!!!

Guest scmercer

I don't have a problem paying the levy at all and I am a bit shocked reading the posts that so many are against it. When you consider how much we are paying out for things in Australia it really is only a small amount.

I can certainly do without a coffee once or twice a week if it is going to help rebuild Queensland.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BurgessFamily

Don't worry, it's only HIGH INCOME earners that will pay the levy. As Julia has stated, only high income earners earning $50,000 or more will have to pay the levy.

This levy is needed to cover not just infrastructure repairs, but ALSO to cover those who didn't have insurance.