Guest arhl81

Help please!

Guest arhl81

Hello everyone,

After a long process, I am finally moving over to Adelaide a week on Friday to take up a job at Flinders. I am coming alone at first and my boyfriend will be following in the next few months (really dreading saying goodbye!!).

I have managed to secure somewhere to live, but was hoping that some kind, knowledgeable person could point me in the right direction of a good accountant. I have been advised to go and see one asap to discuss the options for salary sacrifice and also for sending money back to Scotland.

I am not starting work until Feb 14th so was hoping to arrange an appointment with someone sometime in the week commencing Feb 7th.

Also, any general advice for newbies would be greatly appreciated - I really don't know where to start with packing etc.!!

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Guest hel&sam

hi anna,i work at flinders, theres a couple of companies that deal with salary sacrifice, you'll get their details in your orientation pack, i use maxxia who were great, really easy, one 5 minute phone call, they'll talk you through it, its really straightforward you dont have to do anything really, cant help with sending money back though.

its a good place to work by the way.

Helen.

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
    Hello everyone,

After a long process, I am finally moving over to Adelaide a week on Friday to take up a job at Flinders. I am coming alone at first and my boyfriend will be following in the next few months (really dreading saying goodbye!!).

I have managed to secure somewhere to live, but was hoping that some kind, knowledgeable person could point me in the right direction of a good accountant. I have been advised to go and see one asap to discuss the options for salary sacrifice and also for sending money back to Scotland.

I am not starting work until Feb 14th so was hoping to arrange an appointment with someone sometime in the week commencing Feb 7th.

Also, any general advice for newbies would be greatly appreciated - I really don't know where to start with packing etc.!!

Thanks in advance,

Anna

hi

its dead simple, just organise a bank account now (online) with a good re[putable bank that has loads of cahspoints (cos some don't), for example I'm with ANZ (look them up) and you can organise collecting you bank cards as soon as you get here and can transfer money from england into your aus account, then register for online banking, and when you get here find out the finer details to send money back too. It really is simple honest!!!

JUst shout if your really stuck, before or after you arrive.

Good luck, we live just round the corner form flinders, where are you staying??

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
    hi

its dead simple, just organise a bank account now (online) with a good re[putable bank that has loads of cahspoints (cos some don't), for example I'm with ANZ (look them up) and you can organise collecting you bank cards as soon as you get here and can transfer money from england into your aus account, then register for online banking, and when you get here find out the finer details to send money back too. It really is simple honest!!!

JUst shout if your really stuck, before or after you arrive.

Good luck, we live just round the corner form flinders, where are you staying??

PS you don't need an accountant. Have you registered for the government orientation (for free)??

Guest arhl81

Thanks for the info guys. I have opened a bank account already and am about to transfer some money into it in preparation. I will certainly look into maxxia, thanks Helen.

What is the Government orientation? I've not heard anything about that!

I've got a room in a house in Glenelg - my new house mate also works at Flinders so that's a bonus!

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

hi

The government orientation is called the meet and greet service. I organised this throiugh the adelaide bound website i think. You'll need to apply for it and then someone meets you at the airport and gives you loads of advise (for free ofcourse). Its dead helpful to know someone is meeting you in the airport, and will tramnsport you to your accomodation. The government organise it and its great. They gave us a miniature A-Z, which was just invaluable.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys. I have opened a bank account already and am about to transfer some money into it in preparation. I will certainly look into maxxia, thanks Helen.

What is the Government orientation? I've not heard anything about that!

I've got a room in a house in Glenelg - my new house mate also works at Flinders so that's a bonus!

Greetings!

I would still go to a financial planner re: the salary sacrifice issue. I've just been referred to a great one in the city. I'll look him up at work tomorrow. The Salary sacrifice companies are great as far as setting things up but depending what your sacrificing for you are liable for fringe benefit tax and you need to weigh up benefits, etc before making the decision. Further more, they can help you with all sorts of things coming from your super (never knew you could have insurance direct debits coming out of your super, etc) so worth their weight in gold for an initial consultation.

Guest arhl81

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. If you could let me know the details of your financial planner, that would be great!

Anna