Guest guest7049

Banking?

Guest guest7049

What would be a good bank to set up an account with whilst still in the UK? Obviously looking for low costs and one which has plenty of free ATM's once we arrive.

Cheers

Guest BAZnDAF

Well, we have opened an account with NAB, I forget the reasons why, but we did look at various others. I know with NAB you can use the rediATM machines for free (or at least that what it says on their website).

I would suggest an evening of looking through each of the main banks websites and finding the locations of their ATM's and any costs associated with them.

Baz.

Guest cdchats

Hi,

We moved over on 1st Jan but before we moved we opened our account with the Commonwealth bank in London...they set up a London Uk transfer account and arranged for an account to be set up in OZ. Had an appointment with Commbank in the city within 2 days of arriving at pre arranged from the UK...picked up our debit cards, sorted the online banking...all sorted in an hour.

The customer service has been great...one to one with an expat advisor based in the City...one phone call or email and she has helped with car and contents insurance...took the hassle out of that for us, which we didnt need after trying to find a car and long term rental within a couple of weeks of being here.

Would suggest like BAZnDAF that you take a look on the internet and pick one which covers the area you have choosen to live for ATM as all the banks charge a small fee for taking money out of each others ATM's.

That being said Commbank have given us 4 months free banking which remains free after this time if we deposit more than $2000.00 in the account each month.

Good luck with your move.

Guest UzinOz

Westpac will offer the account with no fee if you deposit more that $2000 monthly, you can use Westpac and Bank SA ATM's free.

Jackie

Hi,

We are with ANZ as they are linked to TorFx who we have exchanged our money through!

Andrew

Hi Andrew, just wondering how you have found TorFx? Has it been beneficial to you using them. They keep phoning me and asking me to register with them - just be interested to get someone's experience of using them.

Guest loopylisa

Id reccomend NAB it was so easy. Just signed up online. Had an appt with the advisor two days after I landed. Got atm card. Job done

We use Moneycorp and chose NAB after a couple of live chats on this forum. They've both been great so far and our first large deposit is on its way as I write (forward booked it when the rate was higher thankfully) They have loads of ATMs and a branch near where we want to settle. Bonus is they are offer ing 5.75% interest on our savings for 3 months then just below 5% there after! We have an appointed contact in CBD and will book an appointment to see her just before we travel. Couldn't be easier and all done online.

Guest domjcw

All the banks are pretty similar. They all tend to run higher charges than uk banks. (Fees for cheques and for other ATMs are standard).

We used TorFX a few times and found it extremely straightforward and efficient with helpful telephone service.

Hope that helps

We decided to go with NAB.... we emailed them on a sunday night, And had a bank account up and running on the monday morning.

Our NAB advisor emailed as to arrange a time and date to collect our bank cards, when we arrive down under .

We have used Moneycorp to transfer our funds from England to Australia. Very easy and no worries,, we would recommend both companies.

jules and ian

All the banks are pretty similar. They all tend to run higher charges than uk banks. (Fees for cheques and for other ATMs are standard).

We used TorFX a few times and found it extremely straightforward and efficient with helpful telephone service.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply - pardon my ignorance but what do TorFX do for you - how does it work? Do you send them the money and they get you the best rate? I am new to all this and have no idea :(((