Nice Areas to live in Adelaide

Guest midwifeonthemove

Guest midwifeonthemove

Hi Everyone.

We arrive in Adelaide on the 5th March. My husband has a job in the CBD and I have one in Toorak Gardens. I was wondering if anyone is able to give us some good ideas of places to live within a reasonable commuting distance of those places? We have 3 young kids, so schools are important too.

Tanya :cute:

Beach or hills? For hills-ish, have a look at the North Eastern suburbs - anything from around Athelstone and upwards - or Belair area. Will leave the beach-ish suburbs to someone else! If you have teenagers and want to be in the catchment area of one of the best state schools in Adelaide, check out the catchment area of Marryatville High School.

Guest Jo&Phil
Hi Everyone.

We arrive in Adelaide on the 5th March. My husband has a job in the CBD and I have one in Toorak Gardens. I was wondering if anyone is able to give us some good ideas of places to live within a reasonable commuting distance of those places? We have 3 young kids, so schools are important too.

Tanya :cute:

Toorak Gardens is a nice inner east suburb, and as this is generally popular and close to the city, property prices in this area are a little higher and the socio-demographic mix can reflect this.

As it's off Greenhill Road (main thoroughfare) it commutable from many other suburbs and you might use the schools angle to determine where you prefer to live.

Easy commute suburbs with good public and private schooling include (but are not limited to) Unley, Mitcham, Belair, Norwood, Payneham, Magill, Rostrevor, Newton

If you want the beach you may need to head further south for an easier commute but it would take 30 odd minutes, eg: Brighton, Hove, Somerton Park, or west, Henley, Grange, West Beach.

What sort of commute are you used to? Do you need for work/school to be relatively close to each other for all those after school activities? That might impact on your choice a bit .......

toorak gardens - Google Maps

I live in Marryatville, a 3minute walk to Marryatville High School, and only separated by Potrush Road from Toorak Gardens. If you could afford them, Toorak Gardens, Dulwich, Rose park, Norwood, Glenside, Burnside, Heathpool, Leabrook, Erindale, kensington gardens, kensingtons will be ideal place for you. It is only 5-10 minutes to CBD, with a lot of good schools either private or state.

Easters suburbs is upper-end area in socio economic terms, but I think renting is still "achievable". I saw 3 bed house around 400-450 a week. A lot of unit scattered around in the areas, although I think the market is very competitive. but we found our renting inside two weeks when we arrived last september.

regards

sw

Guest midwifeonthemove

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I will have a good look into all of those areas tonight.

A little bit more info.......My husband currently does a 1.5 hr commute into London and had a similar one in Brisbane, so we'd really like to cut that down to an hour at most. Money wise, rent up to around $600 - $700 per week at most or to buy up to about $800k. We're not really beach people and would be happier with a house with a pool :biglaugh:

Our children are 3, 6 and 8 so a nice local primary school would aslo be great...don't ask for much do I !!!!

Tanya x