Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fluterby

cost of residential care

Guest Fluterby

I am so shocked at the moment!! I have just found out that to live in an aged care residential facility can cost $350,000++ just to enter the facility. A weekly fee is also payable. Apparently some homes (not all) have a small number of beds allocated to people with no funds, bet these are not easy to come by!!

David

Guest willfam

The $350,0000 +++++ is a bond. It goes back into the estate once the resident of the facility dies. I know people who have paid bonds in excess on $700,000 !!!!!! The care providers say that the large bonds help them to build new facilities and helps to subsidise those who otherwise would not be able to get into residential aged care. The additional fee that they pay is 85% of their pension, this is a standard charge.

Guest Aussie pat

A friend's mum recently paid a $400,000 bond. For that she got a single room with old carpet, torn curtains and tired paint work. The home is in the Eastern suburbs of Adelaide.

On the other hand my mother in law did not pay a bond in Yorkshire. She got a freshly painted room with nice steam cleaned carpet and brand new curtains/bed spread. The whole home was well maintained and lovely and clean. She also received excellent, friendly care until she died last year. Some how it doesn't make sense that a local authority in the UK can offer better facilities than an organisation than gets access to all of these bonds.