Guest liquorice

driving licences

Guest liquorice

Can you use your UK licence or do you have to retake your test when in Australia?

Guest guest3462

Ou don't have to retake your test if you have held a uk pence for more than 2 years, you just pay up and swap it for an Aussie one, unless you arrive on a temporary visa then you can just use your uk licence. (they can't put penalty points onto a uk licence but the fines for speeding/running red lights are extorionate!!!)

one thing though to remember is that you need an Aussie drivers licece for just about everything here form buying a chaepo mobile phone to setting up Internet etc so it's best if you get one as soon as you can Once you arrive.

Guest cornish Busdriver

HGV and PSV licenses are not transferable

Test has to be re sat

Another point which people might not be aware of is some companies insurance will only let people with SA driving licences drive their company vehicles.

Where my partner works, you have to have a SA driving licence to drive their cars (to satisfy their company insurance policy) and they had a temp in their dept and wanted him to drive to another site, but he was still driving on his other countries licence, so they could not send him out.

Not sure how common this is, but thought it was worth mentioning.

You can keep your UK licence and get a SA one - just say you need the UK one as you regularly return to the UK. Don't try using your UK licence if you get pulled for speeding - the fines are huge as they cannot give you points. Also the police are not impressed if they think you are pulling the wool over their eyes.

Guest perrygrren

Different type of country have different type of rules for driving licence. But I know that we need must driving licence for drive vehicles Like In india people do drive after 18 years.

If you are permanent you need to transfer to a sa licence or you will be subject to a court appearenceif you are stopped and reported for drive without a licence. It comes under section 74of the road traffic act.

If they check out your status they will prove your status,when you last left the country and that you have been resident in sa for a period of 3 months or more

If in doubt check with motor reg, people have been caught out...

Hi

We are coming over later this year on a temp 457 4 year Business sponsored visa, but looking to change to PR when we have been there for 6 months. Can we get an Aussie driving licence as soon as we get there?

Thanks

Paul & Sarah

Guest Mitchell
    Hi

We are coming over later this year on a temp 457 4 year Business sponsored visa, but looking to change to PR when we have been there for 6 months. Can we get an Aussie driving licence as soon as we get there?

Thanks

Paul & Sarah

I'm on a 457 and yes I got my sa license when I got here. Although you can legally drive on a UK one until you get PR it's better to get an sa one for all the 100 point identity checks for things like renting a house and stuff. Just find your nearest service sa office fill in a form and hand over the cash. Simple.