Nurse Salary

Guest Clan Fortune

Guest Clan Fortune

Hi all,

I'm a registered nurse workin in aged care in the UK. When I finished my training I was pregnant with my wee boy so took time out and when the time came for me to look for a job, realised how hard it was to secure a position in the hospitals.

I have been working in aged care for 3 and a half years and enjoy it.

Does anyone know what the salary is like for aged care nurses in SA and how the pay scale is structured?

Is there vacancies for aged care nurses?

I can find details on salaries for hospital based workers but not on aged care establishments. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Elizabeth

Actually depends on your year, (if you qualified 4 years ago, you'd be yr 4 for example), it also depends on where you work, if you chose a private care provider then your wages will probably be less than if you worked for a not for profit provider, you'd also get salary sacrifice if you worked for not for profit. as an estimation for yr 4 i'd say around $48k but thats only a ball park figure.

Hope that helps some :)

The current pay rates in the public sector for registered nurses are:

Year 1 RN $49151

Year 2 RN $50789

year 3 RN $52975

Year 4 RN $55148

Year 5 RN $57343

Year 6 RN $59527

Year 7 RN $61712

Year 8 RN $63896

Year 9 RN $65534

Plus penalty rates and we just got a 12% pay increase over the next 3 years. Go http://www.anmfsa.org.au for any further information

Kris

Guest leemina

when you say aged care, does that mean your working in a nursing home? i've worked on an acute medical ward, gastro and now respiratory for nearly three years now since qualifying. I was told when thinking of going for visa that i needed acute experience before anmc would assess me, so i went for that type of work. I'm not saying that thats the case now but just thought id let you know.

If i got a job say on a ward full time would my wage be similar to that mentioned above??? If so that sounds ok to me.

Leemina

Guest Clan Fortune
when you say aged care, does that mean your working in a nursing home? i've worked on an acute medical ward, gastro and now respiratory for nearly three years now since qualifying. I was told when thinking of going for visa that i needed acute experience before anmc would assess me, so i went for that type of work. I'm not saying that thats the case now but just thought id let you know.

If i got a job say on a ward full time would my wage be similar to that mentioned above??? If so that sounds ok to me.

Leemina

Yeah, I work in a care home. I have already had my skills assessed by ANMC as positive!

Guest leemina

Glad to hear you got a positive assessment, i'm waiting for a CO now, feels like its been a long time coming. Been the plan for about 7 years now, did the IELTS exam in sep 09 and then took 4 months for reference from boss (arghhh!) and then with all the delays..... it just feels like its never gonna just be in our hands, its always someone else we're waiting for. Anyway rant over. Good luck.

Guest Clan Fortune
Glad to hear you got a positive assessment, i'm waiting for a CO now, feels like its been a long time coming. Been the plan for about 7 years now, did the IELTS exam in sep 09 and then took 4 months for reference from boss (arghhh!) and then with all the delays..... it just feels like its never gonna just be in our hands, its always someone else we're waiting for. Anyway rant over. Good luck.

Hi thanks, Something I been thinking about and wished I had done it sooner with all these changes. I was originally going to WA (brother and family there) but had to change when SMP released as I didn't have the 7yrs work experience. I hadn't really looked at other states to be honest but really liked SA when I looked into it. Good luck and hopefully you'll get a CO soon.

Guest midwifeonthemove
You'd probably come out in your hand around $1700 per fortnight.Roughly.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I noticed that you work for the agency I have just registered with......do you get plenty of work through them?

Tanya x

Guest Chandan

Hi,

I am not sure if this any help but I looked into Aged Care just recently.

The info I found out about was that you need a Cert.3 in Aged Care (which costs around $1800 on average) for a 8 week course with a 3 week placement at the end.

One course provider was called SMP Training Centre. It pays roughly $23+ p/h. Hope that helps!

Danni

Guest willfam
Hi,

I am not sure if this any help but I looked into Aged Care just recently.

The info I found out about was that you need a Cert.3 in Aged Care (which costs around $1800 on average) for a 8 week course with a 3 week placement at the end.

One course provider was called SMP Training Centre. It pays roughly $23+ p/h. Hope that helps!

Danni

This would only qualify you as a PCA or carer. Nowhere near the level of an RGN. Not too many RGN's employed within aged care, usually only one on each shift. Would def get more work in acute care. Also carers who work for nursing homes get around $17 p/h day shift, agency pays a little more as you get casual rates.

This would only qualify you as a PCA or carer. Nowhere near the level of an RGN. Not too many RGN's employed within aged care, usually only one on each shift. Would def get more work in acute care. Also carers who work for nursing homes get around $17 p/h day shift, agency pays a little more as you get casual rates.

completely depends on where you work, somedays we have as many as 4 or 5 on a morning shift and ALWAYS 2 on the PM shift

Guest Chandan

check out www.hendercare.com.au I met the CEO on thursday and landed myself a Support Staff Coordinators job, it is a nursing and support staff agency, I am sure you can find out all of your info you need about the private and public sector of nursing, aged care workers etc..

would be funny if it was me who ends up teeing up jobs for you there!!

Good Luck and I'll try and find out a bit more info in the next week or two for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chandan

Spoke to our nursing/aged care department today, when you arrive call Hendercare and ask to speak to Michelle, I gave a brief outline of your situation today and she'll be happy to answer any of your questions! Tell her Danni sent you!

good luck!

Guest Clan Fortune

Thanks for all the replys, lots of useful info.

I'll look up Hendercare and NASANSB and see what they offer. I'm not sure whether to look for a permanent position or do some agency work. I suppose it would depend on how much aged care nursing in oz differs from the UK.

Does anyone know if I should familiarise myself with any particular area before landing in SA?? Perhaps something used in oz that we're not familiar with in UK.

Its pretty much the norm for me to be working on my own as a nurse. Would be nice to work alongside another nurse for a change.

Thaks again for all the useful info, wages are around what I thought. I'm waiting to hear from SA for SS. Hopefully not be too long.

Elizabeth.

Its very different from the Uk, restraint is still used here regularly unfortunatley, i found it very confrounting when i first arrived. Some are not for profit, which in my opinion are better than private homes. 1 RN on late shifts and at weekends are often in charge (depending on how many RN's there are on shift) though you'd still have unit to look after as well.

I'd suggest having a look at ACFI (Aged Care Funding Instrument) Department of Health and Ageing - Welcome to the Aged Care Funding Instrument

This is the tool thats used to determine funding for residents. Validation visits happen usually once or twice a year, then Accreditation for lisence happens 2 yrly the same as the UK, differnce is though if all of the Standards are met, you can get Accredited for up to 3 years at a time (though you still get x2 visits a year) http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ageing-manuals-rcm-rcmindx1.html

Most facilities use computer documentation, the most common being ICARE, Lee Care, People Point, Autumn Care. Some are easier to navigate than others, but they're not to bad.

I really would consider agency work to start with, it will give you an insight into good/bad places and help when you decide to go perm. The money is better to with agency, especially afternoon /night shifts.

Not for profit homes also offer salary sacrifice, which basically means you can earn 16k a year before tax.

Shout if theres any other information you'd like :) best of luck

• 2 years later...