Guest markjl

Flinders range ???

Guest markjl

Hey Everyone

Just hoping for some advise from anyone who has been to the flinders range? i want to do a short trip from adelaide which isnt a wine area as i have done all of them...

Is it good? how long does it take to get there? any advice on a route? is 3 days enough to do a round trip?

Any and all comments welcome

The Flinders Ranges are really great. The area is quite extensive. I would definitely recommend going as far up as Wilpena Pound. You will pass Quorn - if you have kids they will probably like the Pichi Richi steam train - otherwise it is just a small country town but really Aussie looking. We always stop for lunch. They have a couple of pubs with nice counter lunches. But if you have only three days I would stay at Wilpena Pound, if you are on a budget they have these Permanent tents which are basic but at least you don't have to spend a lot of time putting up a tent and packing and unpacking. If you are looking for a basic cabin then Rawnsley Park which is near Wilpena Pound used to be more affordable (not sure if it still is tho) and is fully equipped with everything you need. Just bring your bedding, towels and food.. Wilpena Pound has nice hotel rooms but used to be pricey. You could spend 1 day at Wilpena Pound exploring the area. The go further afield - Brachina Creek is not far away and at dusk there are lots of wild life (early morning too) - Kangaroos, Emus. Wilpena Pound has an information area with camp rangers who can give you heaps of info on what to do so would definitely make that your first stop. You could go in a conventional car all the way to Wilpena Pound as the roads are sealed but once you go beyond to the creek areas and some of the other sights if it has been raining then the roads can be hard to manage without a 4WD. The park rangers always know that stuff so always make it your first stop before you go out. They have some great walks too but if you are only there for three days you can just check them out and go on your next trip. We don't go as much as we used to - used to go 2-3 times a year for many years - whenever there was a long weekend. Lots of petrol places along the way. I probably wouldn't go when the forecast is hot - especially if you planning on walking but if you are going to stay in luxury then Wilpena Pound Resort has a pool and used to be pretty luxurious (well for the area anyway) It takes approximately 5 hours to drive without too many stops. (Sorry I've gone on a bit but it is one of my favourite spots and massive!)

Also have a look at the Grampians - about 5/6 hours drive from Adelaide, lovely area. Can recommend Emu Park to stay at - they have a few cabins or you can camp - and the Wartook Valley is lovely with loads of kangaroos. Vicki that runs Emu Park is also the local native fauna rescue person, maybe hand rearing a 'roo or wallaby or two. Great walks round there too - depending on when you are thinking of going, check first as there has been some flooding round there, but last I heard, Emu Park hadn't been affected. Here's a link: Emu Holiday Park | Wartook Valley | The Grampians

Been to the Grampians and it was wonderful but as Diane says witht he flooding that they had it might wise to check how things are but Halls Gap is a lovely little place lots of walks etc. Now going to Flinders, we have booked to stay right in the National Park at Wilpena Pound just so we are right there and really looking forward to it.

Hey, I love the Flinders Ranges - one of my favourite places I've camped so far in SA. Melrose is great and ideal for a weekend as it's in the Southern Flinders, so only a few hours from Adelaide. The walk at Alligator Gorge is stunning. The pub there, the Northern Star, does great food and is a cellar door for Bundaleer wine - great reds. There's a nice campsite in town (I think maybe the only one?) which unless you're there over a long weekend, has lots of space so you're not camped right next to another tent and has proper toilets, showers, kids playground etc and a few shops in the tiny town, so good for those who aren't into real wilderness camping...like myself!

In the central Flinders I love the walk at Blinman Pools - when I was last there we swam half way along in small pools - nice and cold on a hot day! We stayed at a disused airfield campsite at Angorichina Village - we were the only ones there with mountains all around us and some of the clearest starry skies I've ever seen - it was magical. This was much more basic with just a loo in a tin shed. Also nearby was the Parachilna pub - the Prairie Hotel - sister hotel I think of the Northern Star in Melrose. Also a great country pub with great food. It goes without saying the walk around Wilpena Pound is a must do.

Haven't been anywhere in the Northern Flinders yet but look forward to it. On all my Flinders trips so far I've loved driving through Port Germein Gorge on the way to Melrose - a beautiful valley with ravines, gum trees - a stunning Australian drive!

Also there's always Clare on the way there/home to take in a winery or two =)

The Flinders Ranges are beautiful. The hills are gentler and more populated in the south and get more rugged the further north you go. Quickest way there is up the Port Wakefield Road to Port Augusta (3 hours), which is a town a lot of people bypass but I really like it. Then it's another couple of hours to Wilpena - well worth a visit, the pound is remarkable (so called because sheep were kept inside it in the olden days when they tried to graze sheep in the Ranges). Blinman is a nice old settlement with a great pub. Arkaroola is the jewel in the crown but is very remote. It used to be a 3 hour drive from the end of the bitumen at Leigh Creek/Copley along a winding dirt road to get there, with lots of creek beds to cross - so you couldn't go much faster than 40 kph. You don't need a 4WD, I've driven up there in a Commodore!

However, wherever you go you in the Flinders, you will find beautiful places, amazing scenery, silence, vast black skies full of stars, a real sense of getting away from the modern world to an ancient land. Three days is rushing it a bit but you could definately explore some of the southern ranges in that timescale, and if you like it, leave the rest for a later date.

Guest rachinadelaide
    Hey Everyone

Just hoping for some advise from anyone who has been to the flinders range? i want to do a short trip from adelaide which isnt a wine area as i have done all of them...

Is it good? how long does it take to get there? any advice on a route? is 3 days enough to do a round trip?

Any and all comments welcome

We love camping at Wilpena Pound in the Southern Flinders ranges. It's a beautiful campsite with roos bouncing around, lots of birds and the most amazing night skies.

There is also a low-key resort including bar and restaurant for those cold winter nights when it's simply too cold to sit around the campfire (we survived -2 during the Queen's Birthday long weekend last year!!).

There are several fabulous walks to go on in the pound, our favourite is the St Mary's Peak walk...a difficult climb but the views are stupendous! There is a visitor Centre as you entre the pound and they can talk to you about things to do and weather conditions.

We have been several times and found our favourite route is the 'back way'. We go via Clare, Jamestown, Orroroo and Carrieton. It's sealed all the way and takes approx 4.5 hours.

We'll be going back (yet again!) at the Queen's Birthday weekend this year.

PS - Halls Gap in the Grampians is also fab but for some reason we prefer Wilpena and I'm not sure why...

OK so have booked the holiday in the Flinders but need some where cheap and cheerful to stay on the way?

With 2 small kids in the car traveling such a long distance is just not compatible, looked at the Clare Valley but everywhere seems to be 2 nights min and we only want a night stop to refresh on the way there and way back.

The biggest problem is we will need 1 night on good Friday! I know if we have to, we can drive all the way back but would be nice to break the journey up.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Port Augusta has loads of motels and 2 caravan parks with cabins. You should be able to find something there. If you are coming back to Adelaide then via Port Augusta is the quickest way with the best roads. Port Augusta is the main service town for the Flinders and has McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and KFC (if you are missing junk food after all that fresh air!).