Guest Mark&Yvonne

Self Build Houses

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Hi all. There must be someone out there to help me, im a carpenter/joiner with experience in all aspects of the building trade. I am looking to move over (WHEN VISA ARRIVES) and the plan is to find a nice plot of land and build our own kit home & possibly making a living out of it. I am struggling to find a rough idea of the overall cost of a project like this and if it is really as realistic as i hope.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Guest knsc
    Hi all. There must be someone out there to help me, im a carpenter/joiner with experience in all aspects of the building trade. I am looking to move over (WHEN VISA ARRIVES) and the plan is to find a nice plot of land and build our own kit home & possibly making a living out of it. I am struggling to find a rough idea of the overall cost of a project like this and if it is really as realistic as i hope.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Here you go some sites from a quick search on Google might give you some idea and some have prices. looks like it would be possible

Kit Homes, Steel Prefab Homes, Steel Kit Homes Australia, Kit Homes QLD

Kit Homes & Steel Framed Homes | Australian Kit Homes - Steel Kit homes - Brick Kit Homes - Owner Builder

Paal Kit Homes || Steel Frame Kit Homes & Modular Homes Australia wide - NSW, Victoria, QLD, WA, SA, NT & Tasmania

All depends on the block you buy could be anything from $150,000 to who know depends what you want and what size of house you want and spec you go for, there is a few blocks for sale beside me at $550.000 with nice sea views but on slopping blocks so bit of retaining needed.

There are also companies like Rivergum, Sarah Homes, Concept Homes, and Oasis Homes you could look at - not kits as such but some do have prices on their sites (google is your friend!) to give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.

Guest kangomik

You've lost me, not hard i know:goofy:

what is a "kit home"?

Is it like on the pommy tv shows where that fella spends 3 years slagging them off for building their own thing only to say it's wonderful when they are finished?

Some buy the "kits" from scandanavia.

Or do you mean you want to sit down with a builder and design your own home - if this is the case your on the wrong boat mate as every home builder has to do this anyway. Even down to motar colour choice.

If you want to actually build your own home then you will need to have a builders licence, and then if you want to sell your own design's you will have some serious competition from the mass builders, as they already alter plans to suit customers needs, see the point above.

Now just before you feel the wind is out of your sails, i did know a man who used to work for top end builds in the UK ( nothing under 1.5 mil for a home), full customer spec builds. The company did well. I was in touch for a short while with a man who did the same here, he since moved to QLD because the money was bigger, in saying that he had a very good business here. So there must be a market for "specific" builds, god knows every house is different over here.

I just don't understand the "kit" bit mate.

Guest Mark&Yvonne

When i say kit home i mean a house design that you choose and it basically gets delivered to site as a kit that you could build you're self. What im looking for is an idea on the cost of doing this and then the profit margin of selling the home on completion (if any)

Thanks guys for you're replys

PS Not been on here for ages now and when i do i find out today that we have a CO