Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adelaide_bound

Occupation query

Guest Adelaide_bound

My brain has gone a little fuzzy with all this research - we will be hoping to check with SA Gov in a couple of weeks at an expo, but wondered if anyone on here could also help - we are planning on going over on a 176 visa (not that fussy, but this seems to be matching our wants list (ie PR) and also seems to be the fastest processing time right now), so need to pin down our occupations.

Can anyone assist here please? Is someone's occupation what the relevant qualification authority says they are? Or do you also have to have worked in that occupation for the last 12 months?

For eg I am a teacher, and orginally trained on a Secondary PGCE, but have been working in Special Needs education for the last 2/3 years - so from reading the teaching aus forms, I think I would be assessed as a Secondary School teacher (as I don't need to submit evidence of working as a teacher for my assessment with them, as this part is covered by my birth certificate and A levels).

Looking at other things, I then do my IELTs (getting at least a 7), then I apply for SA SS, with my teacher qualification results from Teaching Aus (or its new name). Then apply for the 176 visa? Then all the other bits and pieces (eventually getting a CO, doing meds and police checks etc etc).

Does that sound right? If so, does it matter what exactly I have been teaching in recently? Or will SA SS want proof of recent work experience that matches exactly my qualification assessment?

Its all confusing!! If anyone could help we would really appreicate it :)

Thank you if you can....

Guest MutleyCrew

Sorry I can't provide answers to your points but it may be worth having a quick chat to an agent to get their advice etc. We have used Ian Harrop and he has been simply fantastic. I am sure if you were to call him he would be more than happy to give you a little guidance to help you. You can contact Ian on:

Tel: 01993824111

email: ian@ianharrop.co.uk

Registered Australian Migration Agents, UK - Ian Harrop and Associates

Hope this helps!

Guest Adelaide_bound

Thanks - we are trying not to use an agent if at all possible, as we have 0 $ or £ to be honest lol, I think once I get my head around the basics it hopefully won't be too complicated or straight forward - I managed my NZ paperwork ok a few years back, and that went very smoothyly so am used to filling in forms in exacting ways :biglaugh:

Thanks once again, will keep it in mind if we win the lottery, or get super stuck :D

Guest pixie7

Hi I'm in virtually the same boat!!

Im a Primary Teacher (PGCE) but I've worked with Special Needs for a few years and Foundation Stage- both are not classed as primary in Australia!

We too are lacking ££££ so trying to do as much as possible without an agent.

I contacted AITSL who does the skills assessment for Primary and they emailed back saying they assess according to your qualifications not experience. I would say if you are worried to get your reference to stress the skills linked to secondary teaching as much as possible.

I'm just in the process of getting my transcripts from PGCE and degree for skills assessment and I'm going to be brave and book my IETLS (for Easter hols!). The general not the academic- is that right?

If you're up to a similar point we could check in with each other and help each other along ???

Good luck !!

Guest Adelaide_bound

I'm just in the process of getting my transcripts from PGCE and degree for skills assessment and I'm going to be brave and book my IETLS (for Easter hols!). The general not the academic- is that right?

Very bizarre as one of my nicknames is also Pixie, sure we are not the same person :biglaugh:

I might be very wrong about this (a) hope I am and b) I am a bit of a fuzzy brain at the moment) but I thought it was the academic IETLS - academnic for people with academic qualifications leading to jobs (so the degree>>teaching = academic qualifications) and general IETLs for trades routes - but I may be REALLY wrong - perhaps post a new thread and ask those that know...? I seem to have everything wrong in my head at the moment (I blame stupid school pressure at the mo!) so very much posible I am completely wrong here (again, hope so lol).

Thanks Julia, argh, forgot about that - seem to remember reading something about those being needed, but on the SMP it just says 'Secondary School Teacher' it doesn't list the subject. Is that what the bit by the IELTs requirement (STEM) means? I got the SMP from here:

State Sponsored Migration List 2011 :: Make The Move

There is just SOOOO much isn't there when you first start. I think though at the moment I'm just not trying to think about things too much, as we are going to the Down Under expo next weekend, and (the pessimist in me thinks!) we will probably be told its all beyond us anyway (we are a little worried about how much $ you have to have before the grant the SS, I don't think we could do 30K in assests AND 25K in cash for the two of us tbh(in fact I know we can't, we only have a couple of elderly cars so can't go out and buy a load of stuff to get the assest amount up), so I'm not getting too into nitty gritty in my brain obviously. I was ICT, which was a shortage here and then in NZ when I went there, so you never know it may be one day in Australia too, or other things might happen....

Back to the drawing board maybe. And who knows what will happen after July as well with all the changes (knowing our luck, all teachers will be taken off everything lol).

Guest Adelaide_bound

Just answered my own question with a bit of google and SA Immigration searching, for anyone one else that is interested - STEM is indeed the bit, it stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, (its alongside the IELTs requirement) so I guess that means teachers only of those subjects for secondary teachers. Which I may or maynot be, depending on what they assess ICT as - its got Technology in the name, so 'technically' (boom boom) I may be ok, we will just have to see. Grrrr. Typical really for us lol.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    Look on immi sa website. The secondary teachers on the Occ list at the mo have to bs maths or science base To get priority 2 processing. The website is www.immigrationsa.gov.au hth

jc

Just read your other post on your thread - shouldn't you be busy doing something missus? :biglaugh: Good luck with it all, hope you have a wonderful bundle soon (if not already!), and await to hear what the third nice thing is! :D