Pregnant woman in Adelaide!

Guest LucinaKirsty

Guest LucinaKirsty

Hello there ladies, I hope you and your blossoming baby bellies are doing wonderfully!

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who would be interested in having a student midwife join you on your special journey?

If you are, or are just curious about it, heres some more imformation about me and the benefits of having a student midwife!

Ok, My name is Kirsty and I am student at Flinders University studying the Bachelor of Midwifery. I am also a qualified Enrolled Nurse and have a UK Diploma in Child care :)

I moved out to Adelaide from Leicester, UK just over 4 years ago now and absolutely love living here! I know just how hard the big move can be, and I also know how fantastic it can be too!

So, Welcome to Adelaide, I hope you and your family enjoy it just as much as I do!

Having your first child, or having your first child in another country can be very daunting! Not knowing how things work out here, finding your way around or not having those friendly faces can make things just that bit harder! Having a student midwife would make things a little less stressful! You would have continuity of care, someone who understands you and your pregnancy needs, and also help to provide what care you would like to recieve before, during and after your birth.

Also, a benefit of having a student midwife is learning things about your baby and pregnancy that you might not other wise get to learn! You would be learning too as I learn everything there is to know about pregnancy and child birth!

You would have that continuous support not only from me as a student Midwife, but also as fellow pom that made the journey across the pond!

During your pregnancy experience, I would join you at 2 ante natal appointments, your child's birth and 2 post natal appointments.

If you decide that having a student midwife is for you then please feel free to ask more questions or leave a message!

Please pass this on to friends or family (they don't have to be poms) if you think they might be interested in having a student midwife too!

Thank you for reading :)

Kirsty

Ah if we were over there now, I'd be more than happy you follow us if we get pregnant.

I had a homebirth here in the UK with our first and we are trying for another baby now and if it happens we hope for another homebirth. It was such a great experience for us.

One of the main reasons we've delayed our move to Adelaide is because of the lack of homebirth support (and insurance for many MW's) in Australia. I am insistent I at least have the free choice and support from the NHS to homebirth if I wish and I am worried this will be a real struggle in Australia. I read so many worrying stories about the public health service refusing to insure MW's for homebirths, making it more or less impossible for them to assist in homebirths.

Good luck in your studies :) I've total admiration for MW's and what they do.

I'm happy to talk about it, if you know what to do about how to arrange it with the WCH group practice- have a home birth planned for June with the Group practice. PM me if that sounds possible. It's baby #5. 3 of my first 4 were home births, one of them was in Adelaide 18mths ago. :)

Guest LucinaKirsty

Thank you both for your replies... unfortunately, as students, we're not allowed to use home births! Which is such a disappointment because its something that I'm really interested in and believe it would be such a fantastic opportunity to a part of.

I really do appreciate that you put yourselves forward for my studies. And I wish you all the best with your pregnancies!!!

Kirsty

Ah if we were over there now, I'd be more than happy you follow us if we get pregnant.

I had a homebirth here in the UK with our first and we are trying for another baby now and if it happens we hope for another homebirth. It was such a great experience for us.

One of the main reasons we've delayed our move to Adelaide is because of the lack of homebirth support (and insurance for many MW's) in Australia. I am insistent I at least have the free choice and support from the NHS to homebirth if I wish and I am worried this will be a real struggle in Australia. I read so many worrying stories about the public health service refusing to insure MW's for homebirths, making it more or less impossible for them to assist in homebirths.

Good luck in your studies :) I've total admiration for MW's and what they do.

Oh I should have replied to this before. Happy to talk about how it is working for us now and last time how it went with an independent midwife. This time am doing it through the hosp bit like the UK community midwifery homebirth option, and it's not a million miles different, so be encouraged, it is still possible!!!! xxx

I did know that it was not possible to "use" hb's as a student experience, cos DH's cousin has just qualified and was one of the last to be able to do so. Doesn't mean you can't get unofficial experience though, you could maybe look into tagging along with a doula or independent midwife for extra experience if you aren't allowed to do any group practice births that won't count just for fun?

Hi Kirsty,

I was looking into having a student midwife as I didn't get on to the MGP and got some info in the post earlier in the week but was going to discuss at my next antenatal appointment at the beginning of March. I am 19 weeks tomorrow. I am in Semaphore and will be having baby at the WCH.

If this suits your needs and you want to PM me please do.

Vanessa x

Hi everyone,

I am moving out in April, hubby's already there. We are going to living in Parkside and I will be 32 weeks pregnant when I arrive, with my first eek!

Any advice, obs recommendations or if anyone fancies meeting for mums and bibs coffee would be great!

Martha

• 5 months later...
Guest Janejenkins

Hi,

I have been in Australia for 4 years and living in Adelaide for 2.5years, I have just found out i am pregnant (9weeks) and wondering if you know any groups to join. It is only myself and husband here in Australia, and looking for support groups during and after I have had the baby.

If you can help that would be great.

Thanks

Guest HelenBraithwaite

Hey - I am 23 weeks pregnant and will be having the baby at Flinders Hospital. I live just down the road at Clovelly Park (near Mitchell Park) and was wondering if anyone knows of a Mother and Baby group I can go to once the baby is born?? I moved here from the UK last year with my husband (who is originally from Adelaide) and it would be good to meet Mum's with babies of the same age. I have had a bit of a look on Google but they all seem to be in the Northern suburbs or way down south !.

Thanks

Helen