What woould you take to a picnic?

Guest Murphy642

Guest Murphy642

I am ashamed to say that my picnics are still in the realms of the UK!!!.

I am hoping for some tips for you guys that have been here a while. I have been looking with envy at the Ozzie picnics hampers they are amazing and put my ham sandwiches and crisps to shame.

Anyone got some ideas for me?

Thanks!

Salads always seem popular - rice salad, pasta salad, green salads of various descriptions. Also platters with dips and chopped up cheese, cabana sausage, and veg such as carrot and cucumber to dip. They also do somethng called Chilli Philly here - Philadelphia cream cheese with a sweet chilli sauce - upend the pot on a plate and surround it with small biscuits to dip in, or pates.

Finally I have a fantastic recipe for a cob loaf with cheese and ham inside. You cut off the top of the loaf, hollow it out and fill it with a mixture of sout cream, cheese, ham, onion etc, then replace the loaf "lid", wrap in several layers of foil, and put in the oven until the filling is all melted together. Take it out, and break off bits of bread to dip in...yummy!

I'll see if I can find the recipe - there are lots of variations, with tomatoes or spinachy fillings too.

Found the cheese and ham one but the rest must be on my other PC... Google "Cob loaf recipes" for other fillings suggestions (I think that's what I did when I was looking!)

Ingredients:

250g cream cheese jar (kraft) (that cheese spread stuff that's usually in the jam section)

1 300ml tub of sour cream

2 cups grated cheese

1 cup chopped ham

salt and pepper to taste

1 cob loaf (Bakers Delight sell the best ones)

(I also put chopped chives or spring onions in just to pep things up a bit)

method:

Cut top off club loaf and hollow out loaf of bread, saving bread pieces for dipping later.

Mix all ingredients together. Put mixture into bread and then replace lid of bread loaf. Wrap in 2 layers, of alfoil.

Cook in moderate oven 180 C for about 1.5 hours or until cheese is completely melted.

Serve hot with saved bread pieces.

MIL always makes mini quiches. With puff pastry instead of the proper kind!!!

I've done scone dough tiny pizzas before, they are good cold.

I personally hate sandwiches so am always looking for an alternative for picnics.

Not sure it's Australian exactly, but MIL also does a lot of pumkin (ie butternut squash) soup for times we are eating a picnic, and we take it in a thermos with coles olive bread and disposable cups.