Sign in to follow this  
Guest Van

New member - searching for haggis in Adelaide!

Guest Van

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this board, but I have actually been living in Adelaide with my Scottish husband for almost 4 years now. I am from Adelaide, but I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and brought him back with me! :cute:

I am always on the look-out for Scottish food and drink. Thankfully, I have found Irn Bru and Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, Tea Cakes and Snowballs. However, I am desperate to track down haggis! I went to the Mt Barker Highland Gathering today and was devasted to hear that Andersens, the only company I know of that made haggis, no longer exists!

Does anyone know where I can buy haggis in SA?

(or can someone direct me to the relevant thread where we discuss UK food?)

I am also seeking to locate lorne (square) sausage! (Andersens used to make that too!)

Guest kas17

Think you can buy lorne sausage at ?Ritos continental in the collonades (read this on another post). I will be watching to see if anyone does know where to get haggis, would love to have some

Hi I was also at MT Barker today and was very Disappointed that you could not get a peice on square sausage there, every other year we have been you could get them. Anyway if you try Ritos Deli in Colonnades you will get scottish Square sausage tattie scones and black pudding also sliced Haggis (not the same) Also a butchers at Hackham has square sausage think it at Collins parade.

Guest Van

Thanks you both for the tips! That's the Collonades at Noarlunga, right? I will definitely check it out!

I wish I knew what happened to Andersens, but hopefully another company takes over making haggis in SA soon...

PS - ian mc - I love your avatar! Hubby and I have all the seasons of Still Game on DVD and have watched them a million times! :)

When I was at MT Barker today I seen Mrs Anderson's and her Daughter walking about I was going to ask her what had happened but never got round to it I don't know if they still have the restaurant in hahndorf.

PS pref are Carmel logs but can eat Carmel wavers like it

Guest Van

I prefer caramel logs too, but I haven't been able to find them here in SA? So I've had to settled for the caramel wafers!

I didn't realise that the Andersons had a restaurant in Hahndorf. I will have to look into that to see if it still exists...

Everything I have heard about Andersons has been hearsay. Besides from my yearly stock up at the Highland Gathering, I used to source my haggis from Feast in Central Market, but about 6 months ago, staff there said it was getting harder to get stock from Andersons and then, suddenly, I was told they had stopped making it all together. I didn't want to believe the Feast staff, so I waited until this year's Highland Gathering to find out for sure. Alas, when Andersons weren't there, I realised that what I was told must be true :(

Guest Van

Thanks - I did think about that, and I did look up their address, but there's no street name, so I don't know if a letter would get through. Also, it's quite a drive out to Nairn! I was hoping they'd be there today but the people I asked at the Gathering just said they heard they'd gone out of business...