Special Educational Support in SA schools

Guest bishop3912

Hi Corinne, reading your post, can i be cheeky and ask if you have infor gathered from previous posts on recc schools or kindy could you share with me??? we are a family of 4 boys 1-15, i will be landing end of march and hubby and kids come over in the easter hols, im supposed to check out schools and make a short list b4 they arrive, as im starting a new job and it will be full time, some info sharing would be great.... when do you arrive

Jo 34, marc 36, boys josh 15, louis 9, charlie 3, leon 1 1/2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AngPhil
Hi Guys

I can only comment on one school in Adelaide as all my three boys go/went to the same school. The teachers I have seen/dealth with at this school have gone above and beyond their job description to help and support my kids to settle into the Ozzie life here. They have and continue to support my boys both emotionally and academically. Two out the three have dyslexia and they constantly do everything they can to find courses/career paths that will help them now and in the future. In the UK they had no help from nursery up until they left in secondary school. My one son has gone from an E grade student to pulling C's and above and got an B in English. So just my opinion I go with the education here.

Regards Janine

Hi Janine,

Thanks for this we are Adelaide bound with a dyslexic son, could you let me know the name of your kids school so we can have a look. I'm a teacher and recommendation is worth it's weight in gold.

I have to agree with everyone who says support is dreadful in the UK, the only ones who get help in secondary are the ones who cause disruptions (on the whole) as there is no money! It's all presure about exam results and everyone concentrates on the kids who have a chance of getting through at C or above and the lower ability kids get forgotton/ worst teachers. Again this is a big generalisation, but after 10 years of teaching it is what I have witnessed.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest wildbriz

Hi,

We are new to this forum and have found this thread very relevant to our own position.

We are a family (Australian citizens) in the UK who are very desperate to return to Australia but have struggled for a few years to try and locate a secondary school in Australia that would be good for our 14yo high functioning autistic son.

The hard part is that because he currently gets lot of one on one support here in the UK (which we have been very grateful for) we would need to feel very confident that the support he needs would be there somewhere.

He is 2 years off finishing his GCSE's and is expected to get C or above grades.

Although we have some family in SA we are more than prepared to move to any state, territory and location to help give him the best chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to PM me if prefered.

Thank you

Richard & Deborah