Guest Adelaide_bound

Swimming in the sea

Guest Adelaide_bound

This is going to probably sound stupid, and I guess we will find out ourselves when we manage to visit SA, but I was wondering what people's views are on swimming in the sea around Adelaide. We were talking to SIL yesterday and she was adamant that you couldn't swim in the sea there as it was too pigging cold, apart from maybe in the very height of summer. Bearing in mind OH is from Scotland and is used to swimming in the freezing sea up there, we are of the opinion it surely can't be that cold, even in Winter there - any comments?

We don't think it will be even warm in the Australia winter, but if we can bear the sea in the UK, even the cold SA sea can't be too bad? Or am I just dreaming lol?

Many thanks if you can assist

R&H

Guest cornish Busdriver

I used to swim all year round here but aclimatised now so only swim in the summer.

You see people swimming all year round so it cant be that cold i guess.

It's fine all year round. Coming from North east Scotland when swimming in the North Sea every summer was fair go, it's fine here. After acclimatised, does take a bit getting used to and feel cooler in winter, but still warmer than Scotland in the summer.

Guest guest3462

In the summer it's heaven!!! We swim from around November-April, but the kids have been in without complaint all year round. Anyways it's not the cold you have to worry about- it's the sharks!!!!! :-)

Guest Guest5035

if you are swimming and the chopper is hovering above you, say your prayers as theres liable to be a shark nearby....

stevo

Guest tc229

Oh god..it's the sharks that bother me lol..We moved from Leicester in 2009 and are loving it..we just don't go in too deep...

Check out this page... it shows the sea temperatures and how most people would feel in those temperatures. It shows that from June to November, everyone would feel the sea is cold, and the rest of the time, only some people would find it comfortable.

Sea Temperatures around Australia’s Cities

We don't go to the beach to swim unless it's over 35 degs, then it feels like bliss. Even then though the southern beaches can feel cool. One day during the christmas break the city was supposed to get to 41 degs, at Moana it got to 27 deg, that sea breeze can feel very cool.

Guest rich

In the summer it's like having a warm bath most afternoons but in the winter it's like having a bath that initially makes you shriek but after a few minutes is simply nice and bracing.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Thank you everyone, we thought we were made of sterner stuff than SIL tbought LOL.

AussieRob, thank you for that link, it's very interesting - I would say from that we would be more than happy to swim in the sea at any point in the year lol.

And yes, the sharks are a bother, but have decided I will only go shallow, and loose lots of weight so I no longer look like a baby seal, and it will all be fine :biglaugh:

Failing that, there is always the chain-mail swim suit :P

Thanks again all :)

I found the water lovely last Easter. We were on Glenelg beach and it was fine. Son loved it also. Loads warmer than the water round the coast of the UK thats for sure :biglaugh:

Adelaide is in the gulf so the water is warmer than further down the coast (say Victor Harbor and beyond) which is the ocean and much colder to swim in.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    I found the water lovely last Easter. We were on Glenelg beach and it was fine. Son loved it also. Loads warmer than the water round the coast of the UK thats for sure :biglaugh:

Adelaide is in the gulf so the water is warmer than further down the coast (say Victor Harbor and beyond) which is the ocean and much colder to swim in.

Thats what we thought from looking at maps, it looks somewhat sheltered so doesn't get the full force of the Antartic blast....

Guest fatman

Wetsuits in Winter perhaps?? :)

Graham & Janis Price (Aberdeenshire, Scotland... freezing our bums off just now!!)

;) ;)

Guest Adelaide_bound
    Wetsuits in Winter perhaps?? :)

Graham & Janis Price (Aberdeenshire, Scotland... freezing our bums off just now!!)

;) ;)

Nah, for Jessies :biglaugh: