tean

Hsbc

I use HSBC in the UK for banking and was thinking of doing the same in Adelaide. Does anyone know if there are many cashpoints for them, as have read that some banks don't have many. We are looking for basing ourselves in the South.

Thanks!

Guest Murphy642

Hi

I haven't seen an HSBC bank at all, think they are only in Adelaide city.

Would recommend an Australian bank really if you want access to your money without hassles.

We used Westpac and they seem fine.

I use HSBC in the UK for banking and was thinking of doing the same in Adelaide. Does anyone know if there are many cashpoints for them, as have read that some banks don't have many. We are looking for basing ourselves in the South.

Thanks!

HI Tean,

Have looked into it as I bank with HSBC in the UK. Only one branch in Adelaide city centre. There are Australian banks that will transfer all your funds from the UK to OZ.

TIZZER

Guest mez10

Hi tean,

We are still with HSBC and you can use any Westpac cashpoint for free. You can also transfer money for free.

Darren

Guest Nick11

There is only one branch in the city on Grenfall st.

We had an account there when we first arrived.

Personally I found it very frustrating..the staff are lovely and helpful but English isn't their first language and communication was often difficult and confusing.

It was a pain if we needed a cheque drawn up..which in the first weeks was often the case when buying cars etc.

Guest scmercer

Hi

I banked with HSBC in the UK and set up an account in Adelaide with them before we arrived. To be honest they are not great, there is only one cashpoint I know of in the city and if you draw money from anywhere else you get charged $2 per withdrawal(however I am sure most other banks do this). They sent out our cards/cheque books whilst in the UK, however I couldnt use the card to make purchases when I arrived only withdraw cash and it took months of trying to explain what I wanted to get a proper debit card! It wasnt easy having to pay cash for everything when we first arrived.

It is good that they allow you to set the account up whilst still in the UK though!!

Guest scmercer
    Hi tean,

We are still with HSBC and you can use any Westpac cashpoint for free. You can also transfer money for free.

Darren

I didnt realise you could withdraw from Westpac for free. I will have to start using their cashpoints!!

Hsbc also have an atm in glenelg, i am told by the premier service chappy!!

not much use if you live at least 40 mins from there, really.............

Please also remember that if you have a JOINT account, and you move, BOTH of you must change address, separately...........apparently this is true for ANY BANK with joint accounts!! Failure to do so could have you incurring charges for late payments on your credit card, and they WONT discuss this with your OH.........even if it is a joint account!!

Being a bolshy tightfisted scouser, i banged on about the fact THEY didnt inform us of this when we arrived.................got the charges dismissed (a first for a scouser, im sure lols)

We are with the HSBC as we were in England. It is a pain with the only branch being in the city, I have 2 cheques to pay in but haven't had the chance to go to the city yet. You can also use Bank SA ATM's with no charges. I have to agree that the staff are difficult to understand at times in the branch, I will eventually, change banks but just haven't got around to it yet.

Guest cafehag

For what it's worth I've found HSBC to be first class in the two years that I've been here. You can use either Bank SA or Westpac cash machines for free, and their online money transfer service is first class, instant, and provides better rates than most of the money transfer companies.

Guest mimasawrus

Hi There

We have been hear for a year and a half and bank with HSBC. They have been fantastic the money transfers are great and you can get your money for free from bank sa and westpac and if you get a visa debit card we get our money free from the little Bendigo Bank where we live. The internet banking is first class and they have provided everything we have needed. We will be staying with HSBC

Guest forbess

Hi folks

I have been wondering about this too, I have a current account with HSBC in the UK, does that mean that I will be able to use this when I arrive in Adelaide or would you have to open an account with HSBC in Adelaide also.

Thanks for your input, I'm so glad there is a thread on this topic!!

Cheers Sharon

Guest guest3462

I still hold an account woth HSBC and to be honest we found it much easier to have an aussie account which we arranged before we came out here. It was ok to use your UK card to withdraw cash but I could never make a purchase, despite transferring to an international account, I also had several issues with the card being locked so I couldnt use it for international transfers or internet shopping.

The oddest thing was when we returned to the UK and I wanted to withdraw some money from my UK account that was still on there and I had to prove my ID with my card, passport, visa, and both my married and single name signatures!!! I have been a customer with this bank since I was 7 years old!!! Luckily I had my national insurance card in my wallet with my old signature on it cos its that long since i signed it i couldnt remember what it was!!!

Guest mez10

We went to our HSBC branch Manager and he advised us to join HSBC premier. We can go on line and view HSBC global, which allows you to see both your UK and Oz accounts.

Also, you don't have to worry about any credit ratings for loans etc because they have your credit history from your UK accounts

We still bank with HSBC - money transfers are so easy ( I had a First Direct a/c ) and the best way to get money out is using your card at any Supermarket ( Coles & Woolworths ) We tried ANZ as a n alternative ...... lasted a couple of months - enough said !!!

Guest Nick11

When we sold our house in the uk..we were automatically promoted to premier card holders with our own personel bank advisor.

We now have the grand sum of about 3 quid in the bank...but we are still premier card holders with all the perks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was over 4 years ago!!!!!