lornznpaul

Practical Things That Can Be Done On A Validation Trip

Hi All,

I posted on this forum in October 2009 before things ground to a halt for us! But have always followed the other posts whilst waiting for things to move for us again. Well, we got our case officer on 1st February, had medicals on 18th February and we are expecting our police checks back any day now!

As our house hasn't sold, it looks like we will be doing a validation trip later in the year and staying with friends in both the north and southern suburbs, that way we will be able to have a good look round all areas and have a better idea of where we can base ourselves when we make the move.

So the questions begin...

Will we be able to obtain our oz driving licenses even though we're not making the permanent move just yet?

Can we sort our tax file numbers and medicare?

Which banks have branches which are based in the north and the south for easy access?

Is there anything else which we would be able to do whilst on a validation trip which will save us time when we eventually get there?

It's just me and hubby and although we will be staying with friends we would love to meet new people too - anyone fancy a beer!!

Any other advise and tips?

Thanks

Lorna x

Guest wijaya

Hi there

we came for a week in April 2010 for "validation". I think the only think we did was to activate our bank account. I think if you bank with one of the big banks : NAB, Commonealth, Wespac, you don't have to worry about the access. here you could also take cash out money from the supermarket free of charge when you shop. I think that's is the easiest way. In my last six months here, I only went 1-2 to ATM to withdraw money.

For TFN and medicare, I think probably best to wait untill you arrive permanently. because TFN and medicare card will arrive 3-4 weeks after you registered. Unless, you already have permanent address, better to wait till you come to settle.

Driving licence: if you have UK licence, you can drive legally. If you have a permanent visa, you need to change your licence in 3-6 months time. For temporary visa, you can use your current licence till you become permanent resident.

Guest Django

If you know someone out here bring your packed suitcases as you are only entitled to the extra weight allowance before immigration stamp your passports.

I don't think you can apply for your Medicare until you are there and have a permanent address.

Thinking about it I can't think of much you could do until you are actually over in Aus living. Most of the stuff will require your permanence in the country I'd expect, same as if an Aussie was moving to the UK to live. I thought activation of visa trip was just that really, activating your visa (unless you are moving and staying at the same time?). I may be wrong and will happily stand corrected :)

I know when I've moved overseas in the past I've had to be actually living in the country to arrange all the day to day stuff like tax, medical, insurance and so on. They require you to have a permanent address and so on for their paperwork.

Hi

one of our previous guest's who came on a validation trip did get their driving licences and bank account set up using the rental address but they were coming back to the rental within a few months and then went through the change of address process, so it is possible but depends if you can use a reliable address that will hold or forward the mail to you whilst you are back in the uk?

good luck with your plans

Kim

Thanks for all your replies!!!

As well as staying with friends for our validation/reccie trip, they have also offered for us to stay with them when we make the move, just until we get ourselves sorted out with jobs and a rental. They have said that we can use their address too so I'm presuming that will make things a little easier for us and we would be able to sort out tfn's etc whilst still on a validation trip?

Thanks for the advice on the luggage too Django, will deffo be doing that and leaving some of our belongings over there - is there anything in particular (paperwise) that we could bring over too rather than putting it in the container and wishing we'd have brought it in our cases?

I'm going to have a look at some of the banks and open an account which we can then activate on arrival and if we can get some of these other practical jobs done (as well as trying to see as much of Adelaide as possible that you can do in 2 weeks), when we eventually get there, things will be in place for us to crack on and start our new lives!

After waiting for 18 months - it's all getting very exciting, but nerveracking at the same time!!

When we get our flights booked, we'll be looking out for any meet ups which we could attend and hopefully meet some new people and ask the hundreds of questions that we will have!! lol

Lorna x

Guest WhatNow?

As the Damms say, if you have a friend or relative here who can give you an address to use then that will be sufficient for getting Medicare, Driving Licences and TFN sorted. You will get a receipt like a supermarket one with your Medicare numbers on and the cards will follow in the post a couple of weeks later. Your TFN numbers will be sent by post and can take a few days to a couple of weeks. Driving licences will be done while you wait as long as there are no medical conditions (such as high blood pressure) declared on your application that may need a doctors letter. TFN you can do online once you have validated your visa. Medicare and Driving licences you can do with a trip into the city or at local offices, the addresses of which which you can find on the internet. We offer our clients our business address and have never had any difficulties getting their Medicare cards and TFN notification sent to us.