Moosh

Buying a Mobile Phone plan

I can't understand why there are so many mobile phone shops when the deals are all the same in each one!

I need a new mobile. Maximum $29 cap. Unlimited text to any mobile network within Australia is important.

I really want the Sony Erricsson X10 but I don't want to pay for the phone on top of the plan.

Any tips on who to go with. Do the shops haggle?

Guest browny_oh

virgin do a $29 a month cap for the x10 and $0 up front, but the phone seems to be low on stock, Nicole (browny) wants one herself and was most disappointed not a half hour ago when allphones had no stock.

I know you live in McLaren Flat and I would also add into the equation which networks get good reception there. I am on optus and reception is dire - my friend who lives there is on virgin and her reception is no better!

Lindsey

virgin do a $29 a month cap for the x10 and $0 up front, but the phone seems to be low on stock, Nicole (browny) wants one herself and was most disappointed not a half hour ago when allphones had no stock.

The plan Virgin is offering is the BigCap $29 which doesn't give you unlimited texts to any mobile service provider. See if the phone is available online.

I know you live in McLaren Flat and I would also add into the equation which networks get good reception there. I am on optus and reception is dire - my friend who lives there is on virgin and her reception is no better!

Lindsey

Virgin use the Optus network as far as I know.

I used to be with Telstra and the coverage was good but the costs were exhorbitant! I switched to "Three" on the $29 and I don't often go over my limit and you get a few extras, like daily news info and other stuff which I like. Something to read while on the bus. But I find that my calls drop out when I am at home indoors - always. Also since "Three" amalgamated with Vodaphone I think their service has deteriorated.

Guest MrsHills

I have a samsung wave on virgin $29 cap, free v to v calls and texts loads of stuff and the phones a bit of a poor mans iphone.

Guest Bada boom

How much would a plan be that includes say 500MB or 1GB of data? I don't need a phone (have one already), just need SIM only plan.

Lindsey

That's because Virgin piggy-backs on the Optus network.

X10 is also a single-touch phone i.e. you can't do pinch-to-zoom. Would also affect anyone, for example, who wanted to use a piano key application as you wouldn't be able to play chords. There's supposedly a software upgrade in the pipeline that may allow multi-touch but given the limited lifespan any particular model has it's doubtful it'd be worth refining and releasing.

X10 mini pro has the same shortfall.

I nearly bought one. Glad I didn't.

How much would a plan be that includes say 500MB or 1GB of data? I don't need a phone (have one already), just need SIM only plan.

You can get 1Gb of data on Virgin with the LG Optimus One on their Smart Cap 29 plan. Costs $34 per month as you pay an additional $5 for the handset. Keep the sim, flog the phone for $120 or so. Job done.

As you don't need a phone, you want a 'BYO' plan, which is sim only.

I'm on Virgin, and on Smart Cap 29, which is $29 a month, with $60 cap credit, unlimited texts to oz mobiles, 1GB of data, and unused cap credit rolls over to the next month.

Guest WhatNow?

Also may be worth you looking at Amaysim if you only need SIM. They have a calculator on site so you can work out how they compare with other providers.