Weird looking people

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Didn't know which board to pop this on, please move mods if you think I've put it in the wrong place!

We were wondering how 'weird looking people' go down in Adelaide? We are humming and haring about where to settle, we know once we get there we can be flexible to an extent, but obviously if Adelaide/surrounding area isn't for us, we will have to have a rethink, and find a different state to SS us.

We are not the most conventional of people - for EG Rob has a lot of ear piercings (he has taken all his face metal out nowadays), and shaves his head (before for style reasons, now as he has a little patch that won't grow :cute: ) along with a little goatee, it has been commented on I look a little strange too (I have peroxide hair at the moment, and a tongue piercing, but keep it a see through one due to teaching here in the UK - in Australia I will go back to my natural hair colour probably as the sun will bleach it pretty light blonde anyway) and it came up the other day will we/he be accepted in SA?

We used to live in N London, in I suppose a well to do-ish place and Rob was starred at on a daily basis, we never felt comfy there, always felt like outsiders/weirdos - before we lived in SW & SE London and never had any issues at all. We now have moved to the Midlands and don't find this is an issue at all, perhaps because there is a uni here and people are used to seeing scruffy/mad looking students it isn't an issue here.

We know there is a Uni in Adelaide, but have yet to meet any really alternative looking Aussies, so don't know how far this would go for us.

Any feedback would be helpful, thanks in advance.

I think it will be fine.

Honestly since moving here I find its eccentric capital of Australia! Not that people tend to look weird but as to their actions.

Since being here I have been accosted by a cheesecake throwing tramp who was f'ing and blinding all over the place. My 2 year old still says "Mummy a man threw cheesecake at me"

A woman who has told me her life story and the ins and outs of her life with husband and lover for no reason other than I was sitting at a coffee shop! and numerous drunks etc....

From what you say niether of you look very different but I guess you are trying to ask whether Adelaide has room for the Alternative lifestyle and I would say Yes. It is very relaxed, tame, unhurried and unconventional. :cute:

v

Guest Adelaide_bound
I think it will be fine.

From what you say niether of you look very different but I guess you are trying to ask whether Adelaide has room for the Alternative lifestyle and I would say Yes. It is very relaxed, tame, unhurried and unconventional. :cute:

v

LOL, thats pretty much exactly it lol - we don't think we look that odd (not anymore at any rate - when I had hot pink hair, maybe :biglaugh: ), but since we were stopped by a vicar at the National Wedding Show who was trying to pursuade people to get married in church and she said something about us being and looking unusual and alternative, on a day we had tried v v hard to look as 'normal' as possible, we are now a little paranoid.

The "relaxed, tame, unhurried and unconventional" describes us perfectly - so it should be a good fit :D (fingers crossed eh! And if it all goes birds up, there is always Melbourne to run away too lol)

Guest Guest75

You will fit right in ............:cute:

Lots of folks with tats/piercing and several "cultures" such as Goth /Emo kids to downright Hillbilly ( called Bogans here)

Yo never judge a book by it's cover here.:cute:

Hey you will fit in no problems - you sound rather ordinary compared to what you see on a daily basis. Adelaide has a lot of festivals and events and so we are used to seeing people of all descriptions, example we have the fringe on at the moment which means there are heaps of weirdly dressed people wandering the streets - nobody even bats an eyelid, after that we will have Clipsal and all the motor fanatics will crawl out of the woodwork (more weirdos) and we had the cycle race so the city was full of cyclists in their lycra (not a conventional city garb) and again nobody turned a hair. So dont let it stress you.

A lot of folk in Adelaide don't look weird...but oh boy do they act it!!!!!

Met some real nutters in my time.

They don't seem to engage their brain before they engage their mouth!!!!

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hurrah - we knew about the fringe etc, but for some strange reason had that in a completely different part of our brain, filed under 'holiday in Adelaide' compared to 'living in Adelaide' and something someone said (not online) that made us panic.

Shall rush out and book the facial tattoos then :biglaugh:

Guest cornish Busdriver

I was kind of a lot like you back in the Uk, a biker, long hair that i could sit on and died every colour that you could think of, lots and lots of facial and body peircings.

I had my hair cut and only kept a few peircings and now wish i had kept it all, they dont discriminate here what you look like, it the person that counts.

You dont see to many punks here buts lots of goth , emo, alteranative and bogan so im pretty sure you will fit straight in.

Theres gonna be thosands of us weirdo's at soundwave in a few weeks time as well.

When people told me that i wasnt normal, i just said define Normal.

Guest moonraker1959

Sidestep,not sure where you're coming from saying anywhere north of GJ Road?I know alot of alternative type people who don't live north of that area????To the OP,I would'nt worry at all about fitting in.I lived in a small country town years ago in SA,and I used to look like I had just returned from Woodstock!:biglaugh:Most of my friends were the same.I find it quite refreshing actually that you can be yourself,and hopefully not be judged too harshly.I used to find it amusing when people used to ask if I smoked pot?My reply?"No,I tend to get my highs the more natural way by yoga and meditation!lol Good luck and if I still lived in SA you'd be welcome to visit me xx

Anywhere north of Grand Junction Road and you'll fit in quite nicely.

Or anywhere in the Hills.... particularly Flagstaff Hill!!! :P

Seriously, anything goes, there is such a multicultural, multiracial mix here and plenty of tattoo bars and piercing shops, plus as you say, three universities and quite a lively arts scene, so you can relax and just be yourselves, in all your facets.

Guest guest3462
Diane, the poster was right, anywhere North of Grand Junction Road is acceptable, the northern sidee of the city accept anyone and we fit in and get on well.

The further south you go, the bogans (the majority of inhabitants) will torch your car, the gangs will go for you and make life generally unpleasant.

I presume you have never been "down south!" cos I have never ever experienced any of the above. What an awful comment to make.

Guest Guest5035
Adelaidenow has a very dry sense of humour and should realise (I'm talking to you now Matt!) that this doesn't always come across in the written word!!

what......don't i get a mention:D

stevo

[QUOTE=adelaidenow;163170]Diane, the poster was right, anywhere North of Grand Junction Road is acceptable, the northern sidee of the city accept anyone and we fit in and get on well.

The further south you go, the bogans (the majority of inhabitants) will torch your car, the gangs will go for you and make life generally unpleasant.

"I presume you have never been "down south!" cos I have never ever experienced any of the above. What an awful comment to make."

See your already upsetting those "Conventional looking folk " South of Grand Junction ....... LOL:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
I will do my best to learn that most don't have the same sense of humor as me....if only they did, the world would be a far better place.

Church, I am really sorry that you left your sense of humour in UK, maybe you can ask for it to be sent over by courier.

For the record I have been south many times.

Church1 - Julia is actually very funny.

She just left the cynicism behind in the UK:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: