Guest happy-jools

Cost of Living

Guest happy-jools

Ive been on Custard Court, and notice there are a few people who have done reccies and have decided not to go (for one reason or another).

Anyway my question to you people in Adelaide. What is the cost of grocery shopping. There seems to be quite a topic of conversation over on the the other side (the yellow screen) and Im was getting really worried.

Went onto the Woolworth's website, and the cost of groceries do seem higher than in England. Or the Northeast where were from anyway.

So is there anywhere else cheaper to shop, or Are we going tohave to tighten our belts re the grocery bill every week!!!!

:wacko::wacko:

Guest Django
    Ive been on Custard Court

:shocked: You admit it?:shocked:

Good question though. Be interesting to see where people shop and what they pay.

Pete

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Ive been on Custard Court, and notice there are a few people who have done reccies and have decided not to go (for one reason or another).

Anyway my question to you people in Adelaide. What is the cost of grocery shopping. There seems to be quite a topic of conversation over on the the other side (the yellow screen) and Im was getting really worried.

Went onto the Woolworth's website, and the cost of groceries do seem higher than in England. Or the Northeast where were from anyway.

So is there anywhere else cheaper to shop, or Are we going tohave to tighten our belts re the grocery bill every week!!!!

:wacko::wacko:

Hi,

I've seen the posts you are refering to and the latest one from people up your way deciding not to go left me gobsmacked (I thought the latest one was a joke), as for the cost of living a lot of it will depend on your shopping habits. To get best value you need to shop around and not use one supermarket for all your needs. It is cheaper to use greengrocers and markets for your fruit and veg and to keep costs down buy produce that is in season, I buy my meat from a butcher in bulk, to give you an idea of meat price I pay Beef $5.50 per kilo and buy a quarter of a carcasse at a time, Pork $6 1/2 or full carcasse and i've just paid $68 for a whole lamb.

You bills will be a lot higher if you join the "must buy what i'm used to brigade".

I have a feeling that this thread might run and run,

Guzzler

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Hi,

I've seen the posts you are refering to and the latest one from people up your way deciding not to go left me gobsmacked (I thought the latest one was a joke), as for the cost of living a lot of it will depend on your shopping habits. To get best value you need to shop around and not use one supermarket for all your needs. It is cheaper to use greengrocers and markets for your fruit and veg and to keep costs down buy produce that is in season, I buy my meat from a butcher in bulk, to give you an idea of meat price I pay Beef $5.50 per kilo and buy a quarter of a carcasse at a time, Pork $6 1/2 or full carcasse and i've just paid $68 for a whole lamb.

You bills will be a lot higher if you join the "must buy what i'm used to brigade".

I have a feeling that this thread might run and run,

Guzzler

Pretty much agree there, the posts of why they are not goign is amazingly......well, I think I will say gobsmacking!

You do have to shop around here, which for me personnally is a pain in the ar**, as I dont have the time, I go in all three supermarkets, Woollies( the cheapest all round IMO), then in Coles for what I cant get in Woolies, then Foodland as it is local fo everyday bits and bobs, I dont spend a lot on food, the only things in my feezer are ice cream, frozen veg as back up for when broccolli hits a high (which it does often), fresh meat, and a pack of chicken birds eye things. I buy and cook far more from scratch here as it is cheaper. Ready made meals are a no no!

Toiletries on the other hand are expensive and so is underwear, they are the only 2 things that, I think hit me as expensive. You can buy cheap things here like you can in the cheap £1 shops in Uk, hubby bought some lovely biscuits the other day in Warehouse for 18c!!!

You can buy branded here and shops own, I notice aussies dont, the girl I work with turns her nose up when I come back from the shop with blackand gold bleach, bin liners,etc, I dont get this as they work just the same and are half the price:huh:

In our experience, most things are about the same as UK. If you can shop in Central Market, especially for fruit & Veg then most things are far larger in size and cheaper. Eating out and coffees are slightly cheaper, in UK before we left in October we noticed that the price of having a coffee had taken a rise up to about 1.60 and here a Cappucino or Flat White costs about $3 or $3.50 or about 1.45 max.

If you wait for the specials in the shops most things come cheaper at some time or other. My wife bought some New Balance trainers last week, reduced from $170 to $70 amd there are various places you can go to shop a bit cheaper, Like Ikea for household items or Harbour Town (an outlet for clothing and all sorts). I have bought a car 2005 Toyota Camry for $17700 and found that the insurance only cost me $310, a lot less than my Mondeo Ghia X in England. Fuel, depending on what day of the week you buy it is definately cheaper, I bought some last Tuesday (a good day) for $1.26 litre equivalent to 55 pence a litre. However as we are living 20 miles out from Murray Bridge and about 70 miles from Adelaide city, we are driving greater distances than England, even though we lived in the country there with the nearest supermarket 12 miles away.

Guest dglamoore

I think as well as where you shop it will depend on what you buy. If you come over looking for familiar brands then yes you will pay more - get the aussie equivilant and 9 times out of 10 it is the same thing and costs less. We find overall it is similar or bit cheaper.

Must admit we do eat out a lot here too as the costs of meals out is a LOT cheaper than uk and can even be cheaper than cooking a meal at home in some cases :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Best thing for me is not to compare £ vs $, it is hard but I am trying not to.

I personally like Foodland, the meat in there is reasonable in price, I am hoping to start shopping at local butchers, bakers etc as I do believe that this is one of the cheapest ways to shop here.

I probably spend about the same money as I did in the UK sometimes a little more if I bulk buy on meat & fruit.

Angela

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Some things are worth paying extra for and some things not.

Only thing worth paying extra for are Frosties.

We shop at the butchers and the bakers, and find we like the fact that we have been forced to slow down the pace of our life if we want to do this. Quite honestly this is what we came here for and we like the Aussie pace.

Our shopping bill here is a little less overall than the UK. We used to buy ready meals eg lasagne etc but it really overpriced here so now I cook it fresh and it tastes much better.

Libby

Guest Unch&dougs

I can't believe the price you guys pay for lamb!

We can pay £25 for a single leg let alone the other 3 plus the other bits (I'm not a butcher so no idea what they are called)

Found a site that lets you look at menus for Adelaide restaurants to get an idea of the price of eating out www.webmenu.com.au gives you plenty of "food for thought" - sorry for the awful pun!

Guest sarah

Hi, we go to the gepps cross market on a sunday morning, its at the drive in movies..

Is so much fun! last week for example..1kilo of cherries $5, 1kilo of cucumber$1, 3kilo bananas $4, its amazing! How much would a kilo of cherries be in sainsbury? i reckon about £10?

Get down there early its so worth it!:jiggy: