Guest Emu

887 - when to apply? 2 years exactly? 2 years and a day?

Guest Emu

Hi all,

when is the best time to apply for the 887? is it 2 years exatly, 2 years and o ?

i know a few days wont make a difference, but i just want to do it.

cant find any tread on the 887 timeline, sure there are many but can't find it in the search function.

Guest zoes904272

We applied the day after (16th December), we got a CO on 3rd February and are still waiting....

Guest Emu

Zoes,

did you apply online? that seems to be taking quite a while, I thought it was quicker for these ...

Guest zoes904272

We certainly did and thought they were processed within four to six weeks but have been told that it can take from four to six weeks for an application to be assessed when you are allocated a CO.

Guest fluxsta

Sorry to barge in on this post! We are going out on 457, is this 887 the route to go for permanent residence after the 457 (887 being onshore equivalent of 175?). if so, is it true that you have to wait 2 years from the date of entry to apply for permanent residence??

We spoke with friends out there who applied for PR almost straight away?

thanks

Guest steph&neil
    Sorry to barge in on this post! We are going out on 457, is this 887 the route to go for permanent residence after the 457 (887 being onshore equivalent of 175?). if so, is it true that you have to wait 2 years from the date of entry to apply for permanent residence??

We spoke with friends out there who applied for PR almost straight away?

thanks

Hiya your employer can offer you PR from whenever you arrive - Family in perth offered it after 3 months & took it) however you will have to stay with the employer for the MIN 2 year period, or find another sponsor. You will be classed as residents for tax, schooling, doctors etc, but you still wont be allowed to claim any benifits (child benefit, tax refund for education expenses etc),until the 2 years has passed, so in answer to your question yes you can apply but it doesnt make you PR any quicker, maybe someone on here will have been through the process & offer more advice as to the process & how the visa works. We have been quoted 5-6 months for our PR.

These are the guideline for 457 to PR

1. You can have your skills assessed and apply for an Independent visa (SC175/6) at any time (as long as your occupation is on the SOL and you meet the points pass mark).

2. You can have your skills assessed and apply for an ENS visa at any time (as long as your sponsor is prepared to sponsor you for PR).

3. If you earn over $165,000 you can apply for an ENS visa at any time (as long as your sponsor is prepared to sponsor you for PR).

4. You can wait till you have been in Australia for 2 years on a SC457 and been employed by your PR sponsor for the last 12 months at which point a skills assessment is not required.

Hope you find this useful

Steph