antlet

Employer sponsored visa

Not sure how this works, was hoping someone might shed some light:

We got here on a SIR 495 visa which means 2 years, 1 year full time work in a regional area then we can apply for permanent options. Hubby's employer has since said they's sponsor us which means a state sponsored visa now: Got paper work approval back form employer and immigration dept stating we've been accepted to apply. I was looking at paperwork and one question bothers me.....

Its the being under 45 or exceptional circumstances. We've been told by employer that we don't tick exceptional box, but hubby is 46 this year. The letter from immigration clarly states hubby's age as 45 presently - does the fact we wre here on a 495 make the age limit void????? bit confused.

Question 2: it also says on form to include 2 passport photos, or 4 if you haven't yet done health examination. Should we get examination done or await for them to tell us? if we go, where does one get one here?

Question 3 (lastly): anyone know how long this process takes from sending application in?

oh oh one last question (sorry): if I were to study at uni here, does a permanent visa allow me to claim benefits or would I still be classed as an international student until I complete a citizen test?

Thank you peoples

Not sure how this works, was hoping someone might shed some light:

We got here on a SIR 495 visa which means 2 years, 1 year full time work in a regional area then we can apply for permanent options. Hubby's employer has since said they's sponsor us which means a state sponsored visa now: Got paper work approval back form employer and immigration dept stating we've been accepted to apply. I was looking at paperwork and one question bothers me.....

Its the being under 45 or exceptional circumstances. We've been told by employer that we don't tick exceptional box, but hubby is 46 this year. The letter from immigration clarly states hubby's age as 45 presently - does the fact we wre here on a 495 make the age limit void????? bit confused.

Question 2: it also says on form to include 2 passport photos, or 4 if you haven't yet done health examination. Should we get examination done or await for them to tell us? if we go, where does one get one here?

Question 3 (lastly): anyone know how long this process takes from sending application in?

oh oh one last question (sorry): if I were to study at uni here, does a permanent visa allow me to claim benefits or would I still be classed as an international student until I complete a citizen test?

Thank you peoples

Hi Antlet

It sounds to me as if you are in a muddle!

An employer cannot sponsor you for a State sponsored GSM visa. Your employer might be the State Government but they can still only sponsor you for an ENS or RSMS visa.

The 45 years old age limit only applies to GSM visas. With the two employer sponsored visas, age exemptions are possible in certain circumstances. The fact that your OH is already working in Oz on a 495 visa is not the deciding factor in theory but in practice it probably will be. It will be part of the argument that the circumstances are exceptional, so you should definitely tick the box and then explain why the circumstances are exceptional.

I think that the first step is to study the DIAC website in detail. The relevant link is below:

Skilled Workers Permanent Visa Options- Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Which visa are we dealing with and what is your OH's occupation, please?

Q2: Include 4 passport photos and await further instructions from DIAC. If you are in Adelaide then you will need to go to Medibank Health Solutions in Adelaide in due course. They are in Currie St. However I recommend that you do not jump the gun at this stage because everything else sounds like a muddle, which is a pretty sure-fire way of attracting a visa rejection. So please take a deep breath and do everything else properly before you worry about the meds. Wait for DIAC to ask you to get the meds done because they are unlikely to request the meds unless the Case Officer is pretty sure that everything else is OK.

Q3: 5-8 monhs, on average. Client Service Charter

I'm not sure about the answer to your final question but I hope that the rest is of some use.

Cheers

Gill